Sabres Goat-lending (Capra fenerantis): The Other, Other Elephant in the Room

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think our future starting goalie is UPL or someone not on this team. I hope they don't make any long term commitment with Ullmarks next contract. His fundamentals tend to deteriorate over time and under pressure. A new goalie coach should help. It's just a wait and see next year how much it improves.

The problem is, how long goalies take to develop and be ready. UPL is a fine prospect, but how long until he's ready to carry the load is the thing. They need to stop pucks in the interim.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Outside of Korn with the Isles and Allaire with NYR, who are some of the available goalie coaches, either established or up and coming that would be a desirable hire?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
The problem is, how long goalies take to develop and be ready. UPL is a fine prospect, but how long until he's ready to carry the load is the thing. They need to stop pucks in the interim.

That's the someone not on this team part. If Ullmark shits the bed this season they need to find other options quickly and hopefully Ullmark only gets a bridge deal so theres not much cap commitment. This offseason I don't see them adding anyone unless they cut cord with Hutton (who imo is decent enough) or Ullmark (who they seem intent on developing).

Edit: They could add an older goalie UDFA from college or Euro leaguesthat could play in Rochester with upside to play in NHL. I don't know who those would be.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
That's the someone not on this team part. If Ullmark ****s the bed this season they need to find other options quickly and hopefully Ullmark only gets a bridge deal so theres not much cap commitment. This offseason I don't see them adding anyone unless they cut cord with Hutton (who imo is decent enough) or Ullmark (who they seem intent on developing).

Edit: They could add an older goalie UDFA from college or Euro leaguesthat could play in Rochester with upside to play in NHL. I don't know who those would be.

Shepard, the goalie who won back to back college championships and was at Sabres development camp would be a good get. Ultra competitive winner.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Shepard, the goalie who won back to back college championships and was at Sabres development camp would be a good get. Ultra competitive winner.

I was hoping for him as the high end UDFA signing I was looking for out of Botts spring and summer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Outside of Korn with the Isles and Allaire with NYR, who are some of the available goalie coaches, either established or up and coming that would be a desirable hire?

There are more than a few good goalie coaches out there.

Eli Wilson has been Carey Price's personal coach for a long time.

Former Leafs goalie coach Steve McKichan is your guy if you hate RVH fails:

I have heard really good things about Jeff Lerg who has worked with McKichan's company in the past:

Head Positioning

Lyle Mast came up with the head trajectory idea that a lot of goalies are using now.

And if you like analytics, maybe seeing if you can get Stephen Valiquette might be interesting.

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter

https://www.csahockey.com/our-team

Reactions: Rasmi

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
How do we feel collectively about Corsi? When he left was he generally viewed in a positive light or negative? At the end of his tenure I vaguely remember complaints about Miller's overly aggressive tactics, but to be honest I have never paid much attention this area before the past few years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How do we feel collectively about Corsi? When he left was he generally viewed in a positive light or negative? At the end of his tenure I vaguely remember complaints about Miller's overly aggressive tactics, but to be honest I have never paid much attention this area before the past few years.

I wouldn’t mind him. But I will leave assessment to the fools people who let others shoot hard rubber disc’s at them who populate this board…

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are more than a few good goalie coaches out there.

Eli Wilson has been Carey Price's personal coach for a long time.

Former Leafs goalie coach Steve McKichan is your guy if you hate RVH fails:

I have heard really good things about Jeff Lerg who has worked with McKichan's company in the past:

Head Positioning

Lyle Mast came up with the head trajectory idea that a lot of goalies are using now.

And if you like analytics, maybe seeing if you can get Stephen Valiquette might be interesting.

Stephen Valiquette (@VallysView) | Twitter

https://www.csahockey.com/our-team

Wasn’t Lerg at one of the old Darcy development camps? Or was that his brother the forward?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Listening to the NHL network today and they were discussing the Hurricanes goaltending situation and which teams were looking for a goalie. Matthew Burnaby said “we know Buffalo is looking”. Wonder who goes? I’m expecting Cory Schneider who’s playing for team Canada now in the WC.

Schneider is $6 million for 3 more years.
Okposo is $6 million for 4 more years.

Sounds fair to me as a base.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Listening to the NHL network today and they were discussing the Hurricanes goaltending situation and which teams were looking for a goalie. Matthew Burnaby said “we know Buffalo is looking”. Wonder who goes? I’m expecting Cory Schneider who’s playing for team Canada now in the WC.

Barnaby? I almost never agree with his takes on anything to do with the Sabres. Schneider was atrocious the last couple years. He is not the player he once was.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Barnaby? I almost never agree with his takes on anything to do with the Sabres. Schneider was atrocious the last couple years. He is not the player he once was.
Barnaby said it a “we all know they are looking” tone. I actually think he might know something.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
There is a pretty big difference between a badly slowing depth forward and a goaltender though. There are goalies out there who stop pucks who aren't sieves and aren't on big money deals. That isn't Schneider.
Yet Botterill picked Schneider for Team Canada? Interesting I would say. I would only take Schneider if KO goes the other way.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
There is a pretty big difference between a badly slowing depth forward and a goaltender though. There are goalies out there who stop pucks who aren't sieves and aren't on big money deals. That isn't Schneider.
But still with Okposo need to do something, I do not want him to take the place of a more useful player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad