Speculation: Sabres Expansion draft protection thread

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Is Montreal moving on from Markov? I'd pay him a bunch for the year with the understanding we'd flip him at the deadline to a contender if we aren't in it. Buys everyone development time but doesn't clog up spot long term with another bottom 4 d man. Plus another Russian to help Antipin adjust to a new continent and league.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Friedman has said the Islanders are giving up their first for Vegas to stay away from the players they don't want to lose, which would include Da Haan.

I read it as a pick to stay away from the forwards but I could be wrong.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Don't forget about Falk! That group of five would light the AHL on fire...fo sho!! :yo::laugh:

Well, if you trade for Dumba, you sign a UFA lefty like Hainsey/Del Zotto, then you could hypothetically have...

McCabe-Ristolainen
Beaulieu-Dumba
Del Zotto-Antipin

This is assuming Bogosian is selected. If he is not, he can slot on the left side and make the Del Zotto signing unnecessary.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
If the Sabres lose Carrier, I guess the only question is how long until we can invite him back and hang his number in the rafters

Ha! You jest, but Carrier could wind up being the best player we lost for nothing in return since Corey Tropp!

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Ha! You jest, but Carrier could wind up being the best player we lost for nothing in return since Corey Tropp!

You sir win post of the day for me.
I'm mad at the thought of losing carrier.
I was legit pissed when we lost tropp for nothing...

I have taken steps back from the ledge you hero...

PirateShip

May 26, 2013
Bunnell Florida
It ain't rocket science. The deal with Vegas is for them to take Moulson. We protected Ennis as to not alienate him or embarrass him or soften what little trade value he has left.

Exactly. Maybe our 2017 2nd rounder from Minnesota to LVGK to select Moulson. Moulson can provide veteran leadership , play PP#1 and chip in 15 - 20 goals .

He also has a close relationship with McPhee , so this makes total sense.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If Antipin can step and be top four quality right away like Zaitsev did, that helps us out immensely.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well, if you trade for Dumba, you sign a UFA lefty like Hainsey/Del Zotto, then you could hypothetically have...

McCabe-Ristolainen
Beaulieu-Dumba
Del Zotto-Antipin

This is assuming Bogosian is selected. If he is not, he can slot on the left side and make the Del Zotto signing unnecessary.

Which of those pairings is play actual defense? Risto would be stuck getting absolutely shelled with hard minutes again. You need someone to do the heavy lifting.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Seeing all the goalies available I dont think we are losing Ullmark. Some goalies that can move freely thru waivers that could fill out their AHL ranks like, Kristers Gudlevskis, Malcom Subban, Philipp Grubauer to name a few. I really think they take Bogosian, he is still youngish and can bounce back. Has top 4 experience.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Seeing all the goalies available I dont think we are losing Ullmark. Some goalies that can move freely thru waivers that could fill out their AHL ranks like, Kristers Gudlevskis, Malcom Subban, Philipp Grubauer to name a few.
You have to compare those goaltenders against options from their respective teams though. Are you taking Gudlesvskis over Paquette? Vegas can also take on a guy like Garrison, eat a large chunk of his salary and then flip him. Grubauer has been rumored to Vegas for months but you still have to weight him against Schmidt. Subban is the only guy with little competition but he's probably one of the worst goaltenders available and Vegas may try to go with someone like Khokhalchevwho will be able to get playing time with fellow Russians.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If you only lose Linus Ullmark in an expansion draft you did pretty ****ing good. None of the players we are exposing are going to set this franchise back. Anaheim could lose Josh Manson or Vatanen, imagine losing one of them?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
If you only lose Linus Ullmark in an expansion draft you did pretty ****ing good. None of the players we are exposing are going to set this franchise back. Anaheim could lose Josh Manson or Vatanen, imagine losing one of them?

Very true.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
FOLKS,

I hate to say this, but...THERE ARE NO ****ING DEALS. The players the Sabres exposed are exposed. Vegas is going to pick one of them. BUT ONLY ONE. This is true of every other team in the league. There are no secret deals. All of this is largely irrelevant. Vegas will select the best available player who they think will help them win hockey games. This is true of all teams. There are no ****ing super-secret backdoor handshake deals. LV is just going to select players from the list of available players. This whole thing is a joke, perpetrated on us (the fans), by a league composed entirely of people who think they are *extremely* better than us. Be aware of this.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
FOLKS,

I hate to say this, but...THERE ARE NO ****ING DEALS. The players the Sabres exposed are exposed. Vegas is going to pick one of them. BUT ONLY ONE. This is true of every other team in the league. There are no secret deals. All of this is largely irrelevant. Vegas will select the best available player who they think will help them win hockey games. This is true of all teams. There are no ****ing super-secret backdoor handshake deals. LV is just going to select players from the list of available players. This whole thing is a joke, perpetrated on us (the fans), by a league composed entirely of people who think they are *extremely* better than us. Be aware of this.
handle/post

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
FOLKS,

Conspiracy much?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
FOLKS,

Are you unaware that until Wed, teams can make trades with Vegas and only Vegas? Who said there's any secret deals? Trades apparently won't be announced until Wed at the Awards/Show/Whatever thing. Vegas picks one of the unprotected players, who that actually is can depend on deals made over the next 2 days, what's so hard to understand?

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
How does that equate to a conspiracy?

Maybe not the right word. But my point is you are freaking out, saying there will absolutely be no trades or movement, despite multiple credible reports to the contrary. Saying the league thinks they are "better than us" when in reality they just want our money and don't care about being better than us? Your words were unnecessarily harsh and, frankly, a waste of time the minute a single trade is made.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Here's the thing: yes, good. You should disregard everything I say because of my name. You cracked the code, friend. I am bested.
We should disregard everything you say because you just said there will be zero side deals when there are already 4 or 5 confirmed deals.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Maybe not the right word. But my point is you are freaking out, saying there will absolutely be no trades or movement, despite multiple credible reports to the contrary. Saying the league thinks they are "better than us" when in reality they just want our money and don't care about being better than us? Your words were unnecessarily harsh and, frankly, a waste of time the minute a single trade is made.

Okay. Let me stop freaking out. The people who run your favorite NHL team hate you. They think you owe them your loyalty. They do no respect you. Not sure how to say it any clearer than that. Sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad