Speculation: Sabres Expansion draft protection thread

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Here are the current HF selections.

Note: This is not a prediction thread, but a what would you do thread.

Perhaps it's because everyone thinks it's an easy call, but one thing we haven't seen much discussion of recently is what players the Sabres should protect. With expansion list protections due in just a week, would love to hear everyone's final thoughts on who to protect, assuming no trades are made before the draft.

If I get the chance I will try to compile the data in the first thread to see if we have a board consensus.

The pertinent questions, with my answers:

Which protection model would you use?
7-3-1

Which forwards would you protect?
1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Kane
4) Larsson
5) Girgensons
6) Foligno
7) Carrier

Note: Moulson, Ennis, and Des are exposed players with contracts

Which defensemen would you protect?
1) Risto
2) McCabe
3) Bogosian

Note: Georges and Falk are exposed players with contracts
Note2: I protect Bogosian rather than hope he gets taken. I still think he has positive value and believe he could bounce back in the right system (though I wouldn't fret over exposing him if we got someone better)

Which goaltender would you protect?
Lehner

Note: Ulmark exposed, and I don't think it's a huge deal

Under your protection model, who do you think Vegas takes?
Georges, he could potentially be their captain

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver

Perhaps it's because everyone thinks it's an easy call, but one thing we haven't seen much discussion of recently is what players the Sabres should protect. With expansion list protections due in just a week, would love to hear everyone's final thoughts on who to protect, assuming no trades are made before the draft.

If I get the chance I will try to compile the data in the first thread to see if we have a board consensus.

7-3-1

1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Kane
4) Larsson
5) Girgensons
6) Foligno
7) Carrier

1) Risto
2) McCabe
3) Bogosian

Note2: I protect Bogosian rather than hope he gets taken. I still think he has positive value and believe he could bounce back in the right system (though I wouldn't fret over exposing him if we got someone better)

Lehner

I like your list but would think Vegas goes with Ennis or Ulmark over Georges.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I think almost everyone would agree with the forwards protected. I am in the protect Bogo camp however, I think he could "almost" be worthy of his contract under the right system. I protect Lehner, and make a trade with LV to not select Ullmark. I realize you said no trades, but I took that to mean roster players. I'd give up a draft pick to keep Ullmark.

That said, I think LV will take Moulson.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I agree with the OP list, but LV will have lots of better options on D than Gorges. I think McPhee will take one of Moulson or Ennis, simply depending on what his family friend Moulson wants to do (also considering this alleged favor McPhee owes Buffalo).

I'd offer a 3rd to keep Ullmark, if in fact McPhee would select him. Bogosian is a bad contract, but not as bad as Ennis.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Nah, expose Bogosian.

He's injured about 30% of the time, and he's only decent in about half of the time that he's healthy, sometimes less.

His contract also sucks.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

7-3-1

1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Kane
4) Larsson
5) Girgensons
6) Foligno
7) Carrier

1) Risto
2) McCabe
3) Bogosian

Lehner

Same for me

(I want to hedge with Moulson though)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Would you protect Georges or Falk?

Falk I guess. Gorges shouldn't see the ice again.

In a perfect world I've made a trade for even a decent affordable third pair player by Sunday to take the spot.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

8-1, just aren't many people worth protecting

1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Larsson
4) Girgensons
5) Foligno
6) Carrier

*exposes Evander, Ennis, Moulson, Des. Kane with a year remaining and his history has a fluctuating value; inopportune cold streak, injury or negative headlines will tank his trade value so best to move on before it happens. His reputation may keep Vegas away.

1) Risto
2) McCabe

*exposes Bogo, Gorges, Falk. Bogo has a habit of being injured and has a large enough contract to consider; it counters his potential progress enough to drop him into afterthought territory

*Ullmark. He's younger, cheaper, healthier than Lehner. There will also be a better selection of goalies exposed that should make Robin less desirable to Vegas, also sends a message to Peterson.

*Gorges. He is captain material for a misfit expansion squad; old vet on a short contract that the coach won't need to babysit.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Larsson
4) Girgensons
5) Foligno
6) Carrier

*exposes Evander, Ennis, Moulson, Des. Kane with a year remaining and his history has a fluctuating value; inopportune cold streak, injury or negative headlines will tank his trade value so best to move on before it happens. His reputation may keep Vegas away.

1) Risto
2) McCabe

*exposes Bogo, Gorges, Falk. Bogo has a habit of being injured and has a large enough contract to consider; it counters his potential progress enough to drop him into afterthought territory

*Ullmark. He's younger, cheaper, healthier than Lehner. There will also be a better selection of goalies exposed that should make Robin less desirable to Vegas, also sends a message to Peterson.

*Gorges. He is captain material for a misfit expansion squad; old vet on a short contract that the coach won't need to babysit.

:facepalm:

Silly

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There isn't much debate here.

You don't expose bogosian....for cryong out loud have you forgotten who the coach was. :facepslm:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
There isn't much debate here.

You don't expose bogosian....for cryong out loud have you forgotten who the coach was. :facepslm:

He makes too much and is hurt every year.

I would give them something to take that contract away.

He had the same problems in Winnipeg. Always hurt...low IQ.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Anyone who thinks LV is taking Gorges off our hands is delusional. The game is getting faster and he is getting slower. We're stuck with him unless we buy him out.

I would protect 7-3-1
Okposo
ROR
Kane
Larsson
Foligno
Girgensons
Carrier

Risto
McCabe
If we cannot acquire a d-man before protection lists are due then Bogo (EDIT: I don't want to lose Bogo but I feel LV wouldn't take him given the defenceman they can most likely get and for much cheaper. So if we can acquire someone like Dumba from Minny then protect him and leave Bogo exposed I would do that)

Lehner

I see LV taking Ennis. Contract isn't absurd (Salary per year is lower than cap hit) and if he is and can stay healthy could be a good pick up for their top 6.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
When we are good...which one would assume you'd think would happen within Bogosians term...do you honestly think he's in your top 4? Because I don't think there is a chance in hell. If he is...you aren't that good. And he makes way too much to be on the bottom pair.

And I don't think they'd take him if you expose him anyway. His contract sucks.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
When we are good...which one would assume you'd think would happen within Bogosians term...do you honestly think he's in your top 4? Because I don't think there is a chance in hell. If he is...you aren't that good. And he makes way too much to be on the bottom pair.

And I don't think they'd take him if you expose him anyway. His contract sucks.
Preferably not but if we are getting contributors on ELC's (Antipin, Guhle, Makar?) then they can offset paying Bogo too much to play 3rd pairing.

I would like to see if the new coaching staff can help him find a way to contribute. When healthy he still moves well for a big guy so using him for tough minutes in a straight shutdown role isn't out of the question, we'd just be paying too much for that role.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Seems like the choices are Bogosian v Falk.

And one weak link among Larsson v Foligno v Carrier v Ennis v Girgensons.

Wouldn't be surprised with any of the above.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
You couldn't pay me to protect Bogosian.

...and protect Gorges or Falk?

http://nhlexpansiondraft.com/

Is a cool site to mess around with how protecting/exposing different players on teams would effect the optimization of LV.

There really isn't too much variation in the Sabres protected list -- they don't have enough good players to protect.

Forwards:

ROR
Okposo (NMC)
Carrier
Girgs
Larsson
Evander
Foligno

Exposing: Ennis, Moulson, Des

Defense:

Risto
McCabe
Bogo

Exposing: Gorges, Falk

Goalies:

Lehner

Exposing:
Ullmark

According to the site I linked above, assuming no trades, Moulson would likely be the optimal pick.

In this scenario I would hope that Ennis gets taken.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Larsson
4) Girgensons
5) Foligno
6) Carrier

1) Risto
2) McCabe

Say what you want about Kane but he is literally one of the only Sabres' player with trade value that are not absolutely untouchable. That's such a silly reason.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
ROR
Okposo
Carrier
Zemgus
Kane
Larsson
Foligno (I guess)

Expose: Ennis, Moulson, Des

Risto
McCabe
Falk

Expose: Bogo, Gorges

Ullmark

Expose: Lehner

We're only going to lose one guy, let's try to make it an expensive one.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Larsson
4) Girgensons
5) Foligno
6) Carrier

1) Risto
2) McCabe

Is this a satirical spoof on the various ridiculous things people post on this board? If so, well done!

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
7-3-1

1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Kane
4) Larsson
5) Girgensons
6) Foligno
7) Carrier

1) Risto
2) McCabe
3) Bogosian

Lehner

Who do I think will be selected by Vegas?

Ultimately I think the Sabres offer Vegas a 2nd or 3rd rounder in this years draft in order to entice Vegas to select one of Moulson or Ennis instead of Ullmark. I'm not sure which, but I just wonder if McPhee wants Moulson there to help create a good culture in the first couple of seasons. Could see Moulson then getting a front office/coaching start with the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00