Sabres Expansion Draft Protection Discussion (Skinner waives NMC for Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
So I guess I’ve changed my mind on expansion a bit. I no longer think we should make any trades with Seattle. Just accept that we’re losing someone and hope it’s not someone pivotal.

If we protect correctly, we won’t lose anything of consequence:

Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Olofsson
Mittelstadt
Asplund
Thompson

Dahlin
Jokiharju
Borgen

Ullmark or someone acquired through trade.

We’d almost certainly lose Miller or Bjork, and I don’t care about either.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This sounds like a @dotcommunism question: If we sign Houser between now and the end of the season, would he be exempt?
I'd say yes, he would be exempt. Only his seasons while signed to an NHL contract count as professional seasons. Actually, after some digging, I was able to find some comparable players (including one who was with the Sabres). Erik Burgdoerfer, if you remember him, had been playing in the ECHL and AHL for years before the Sabres signed him during the 2016 off-season. He spent most of the 2016-17 season in Rochester, with a couple of games up with Buffalo. Anyway, that was his first season signed to an NHL contract. If you consult the list of protected and available players from the Vegas expansion draft, you'll note that Burgdoerfer's name does not appear. If his prior years in the minors had counted, then he would have been listed as an available player (notwithstanding the fact that he was a UFA at the time; other UFAs appear on the available player list for the Sabres).
So, by this standard, Houser will be exempt from the expansion draft, regardless of whether or not the Sabres sign him to an extension.

Reactions: Jim Bob

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Great so Risto + Tokarski for Kuemper and give Houser a contract. Send it in

I'd say yes, he would be exempt. Only his seasons while signed to an NHL contract count as professional seasons. Actually, after some digging, I was able to find some comparable players (including one who was with the Sabres). Erik Burgdoerfer, if you remember him, had been playing in the ECHL and AHL for years before the Sabres signed him during the 2016 off-season. He spent most of the 2016-17 season in Rochester, with a couple of games up with Buffalo. Anyway, that was his first season signed to an NHL contract. If you consult the list of protected and available players from the Vegas expansion draft, you'll note that Burgdoerfer's name does not appear. If his prior years in the minors had counted, then he would have been listed as an available player (notwithstanding the fact that he was a UFA at the time; other UFAs appear on the available player list for the Sabres).
So, by this standard, Houser will be exempt from the expansion draft, regardless of whether or not the Sabres sign him to an extension.

So it would have to be Ristolainen and Tokarski for Kuemper, plus whatever it would take to bribe Seattle to not take Kuemper.

Not impossible, but it seems unlikely that series of moves would produce positive value for the Sabres.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So it would have to be Ristolainen and Tokarski for Kuemper, plus whatever it would take to bribe Seattle to not take Kuemper.

Not impossible, but it seems unlikely that series of moves would produce positive value for the Sabres.
Or have Seattle take Keumper an then work a deal with them.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Or have Seattle take Keumper an then work a deal with them.

Correct. But given that all accounts say that Arizona would value Ristolainen more than Seattle, it seems like that would end up an even worse exchange for Buffalo.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
(In a hushed voice) This is the wrong target for handwringing. We are the worst team in the NHL over the last 3 years. William Carrier wouldn’t have saved us and the difference between Bjork and Asplund won’t either.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Jim Bob

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Lekkas will be an RFA so we have two goalies going into the expansion draft. Fwiw

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
(In a hushed voice) This is the wrong target for handwringing. We are the worst team in the NHL over the last 3 years. William Carrier wouldn’t have saved us and the difference between Bjork and Asplund won’t either.:sarcasm:

True but it's death by a thousand cuts in Buffalo, whether it's only getting a 2nd for Hall, a third for Montour, signing Eakins to $4.5 M deal or locking down a nobody coach for $11.25 M. The big screw ups like O'Reilly/Skinner are obvious but the little ones count too. There are just so many to add up now under the Pegulas. You lose track of them.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Keeping worse talent and losing better talent is how teams with insufficient talent stay the worst team in the NHL.

Corollary: by the logic you cite, the two $5 bills you have in your wallet aren't going to make or break you becoming a millionaire. So, give me one of them.

True but it's death by a thousand cuts in Buffalo, whether it's only getting a 2nd for Hall, a third for Montour, signing Eakins to $4.5 M deal or locking down a nobody coach for $11.25 M. The big screw ups like O'Reilly/Skinner are obvious but the little ones count too. There are just so many to add up now under the Pegulas. You lose track of them.
Exactly.

It would be so disheartening to take the momentum gained and progress shown the past 5 weeks or so, both on the ice and amongst and between the team and staff, and throw it out the window with poor protection decisions, poor contract / cap management, poor front office deals.

Hopefully, Adams gave Karamos 2 jobs:
1) Tell me / stop me when I'm doing something stupid.
2) If you and I combined can over-rule Kim / Terry, let's at least make it a tie.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Keeping worse talent and losing better talent is how teams with insufficient talent stay the worst team in the NHL.

Corollary: by the logic you cite, the two $5 bills you have in your wallet aren't going to make or break you becoming a millionaire. So, give me one of them.

Exactly.

It would be so disheartening to take the momentum gained and progress shown the past 5 weeks or so, both on the ice and amongst and between the team and staff, and throw it out the window with poor protection decisions, poor contract / cap management, poor front office deals.

Hopefully, Adams gave Karamos 2 jobs:
1) Tell me / stop me when I'm doing something stupid.
2) If you and I combined can over-rule Kim / Terry, let's at least make it a tie.
Specious but ok if you want to run with it..

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
So I guess I’ve changed my mind on expansion a bit. I no longer think we should make any trades with Seattle. Just accept that we’re losing someone and hope it’s not someone pivotal.

Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Olofsson
Mittelstadt
Asplund
Thompson

Dahlin
Jokiharju
Borgen

I'd protect Bjork over Tage.

I'd try to work out deals, perhaps as a package, and move Risto/Tage out before the exp. draft. Maybe to ARI for a goalie or another team for a top 9 defensive winger that plays with grit.

I've seen the kind of forcheck pressure that Bjork's speed causes and it's way more impactful than anything Tage does...for every good play he makes he makes 10 others where the play dies on his stick. He has intriguing tools and size though that I think other teams would value so I wouldn't necessarily want to lose him for nothing, hence he should be moved before the exp. draft.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
These are my favourite flesh wounds:
The Fasching/Deslauriers trade (McNabb+2 2nds for a couple of scrubs).
Trading a 3rd for Vesey twice and getting a phone call as the best return.
Downgrading our own draft pick to do Toronto a favour.

It's kinda like how an addict wears you out over time with constant incidents that makes you worry and then every other year creates a catastrophic event that somehow makes you forget about them stealing your shit and hitting your mom...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
These are my favourite flesh wounds:
The Fasching/Deslauriers trade (McNabb+2 2nds for a couple of scrubs).
Trading a 3rd for Vesey twice and getting a phone call as the best return.
Downgrading our own draft pick to do Toronto a favour.

It's kinda like how an addict wears you out over time with constant incidents that makes you worry and then every other year creates a catastrophic event that somehow makes you forget about them stealing your shit and hitting your mom...

To this day I still do the Fasching/Deslauirers trade. We talk about this team being soft, and how we need some muscle, say what you will about Nic's game (though IMO, he's performed better than Eakin in a 4th line role), but at least he performed his role to perfection and he was a positive influence in the room and on the bench. When you are a team with a ton of draft capital, you can afford to make that sort of move for roster building moves. And let's not act like McNabb was anywhere close to the player he was after development in LA system, and then to Vegas' system.

Reactions: Zman5778

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Olofsson
Mittelstadt
Asplund
Thompson

Dahlin
Jokiharju
Borgen

I would keep Bjork over Thompson. I find Bjork more effective in just about everything. I'd ask Skinner to waive, and keep Bjork there.

Reactions: JesterCheese

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I would keep Bjork over Thompson. I find Bjork more effective in just about everything. I'd ask Skinner to waive, and keep Bjork there.

Giving up an all powerful deity is a very bad idea. The Blackhawks learned this the hard way when they gave us Hasek and we must not repeat their mistake.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Thompson is not aware enough to be a top six player and too timid to be effective in the bottom six. I wouldn’t protect him. I doubt anyone would trade anything of value for him.

Reactions: brian_griffin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad