Post-Game Talk: Sabres def. Canucks - 5-2 (Horvat, Dowling)

Point Spread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yes but will they deign to sign with Vancouver? There's the rub...

Fragile passive aggressive egos that shun away from confrontation and love playing politics.

That's your Vancouver Canucks

Finding a non-trash coach that is good at coaching AND willing to manage these egos is a tough ask.

Which is part of the reason why Travis Green is still employed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
During the broadcast last night. Hirsch related that Brad Shaw’s first impression of the team was that defensive structure needed an overhaul.

if it’s Shaw’s work that led to small improvements on defense we saw in the first 3 games, it’s little wonder that we weren’t able to pull ourselves out of a tailspin mid-game. That would require the Head Coach to have a complete understanding of the new system and have immediate insight as to how to self correct.

There were those of you who were telling yourselves that it was going to be okay because Shaw would be able to fix the coverage issues. But in a game like last night, you can see the downsides to deferring to an Assistant Coach.

Don't disagree but there's nothing stopping Shaw from advising Green on the spot what he sees. The eye in the sky guy should also be communicating with the coaches on ice level.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Want an example of just how incompetent the coaching staff is?

Aecond d pairing in chicago practice….. Myers and Hunt !!!!

are these clowns serious? Hunt is a disaster on his own and pairing him with Myers is a total disaster. Did they not see what unfolded on the ice yesterday?

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

are these clowns serious? Hunt is a disaster on his own and pairing him with Myers is a total disaster. Did they not see what unfolded on the ice yesterday?
Maybe that’s our 3rd pairing. If it’s Burrows and Rathbone, they are slightly better right now than that pair.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver

Yeah...they were really brutal yesterday.

Is it too soon to bring up the definition of insanity thing?

Based on their play together I'd say maybe not.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Oh sure "people" will. Will any decent NHL coaches sign here, that's my question...
If they are not currently a head coach and there is no other offer then yes

I agree with Billy. Only so many jobs out there. Take a guy like Boudreau. He'll turn 67 soon and has been around the block. He's been on record saying he wants to coach in the NHL and has previously shown interest in the Kraken job. You don't think he'll jump at the chance to coach here? The fit is actually good for Boudreau who has a track record of coaching his team to the playoffs and the Canucks are offensively inclined.

The Canucks have young players but they're a veteran team. Petey is a 4th year pro. Hughes is in his 3rd year. The team wants to win now. That is appealing to a lot of coaches whose task for the first year is to get the team to the playoffs. Would Mike Babcock leave U of Sask to take over the team? I bet he would if he has an out clause. Claude Julien is getting his $5M so he could afford to wait to see if a better opportunity comes up.

Then you end up with another Willie D...

Willie D did have an offer from the Penguins when we hired him. He legit had choices.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I would also like to say I kinda disagree with the comments at a high level about the block shots/hits.

I agree it’s a terrible way to consider if our team is playing well and if our systems are good (they aren’t) but it is a decent way to gauge players being in the game.

even if you suck not blocking or finishing you hits shows your disengaged from the game.

Reactions: geebaan

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
i'm sure i'm not the only to say it in this thread, but for so long the entire league has figured out our PP.

they basically auto-sag off on miller on the left side and just let him hold the puck because he's the least creative player on the unit and it keeps the puck out of petey and hughes' hands (or in last night's case, OEL's).

i just don't get why miller doesn't center the second unit and we put boeser on the left side. he has the advantage of being a right hand shot you have to respect, he's at least a better decision-maker than miller at that position, and now that we have OEL that gives us four shooting threats in prime shooting positions.
Miller is already pouting all of last season and so far this one, putting in barely any effort most of the time. We have to move him to 3C because apparently he prefers to play center, thus breaking up the Lotto Line. Imagine the whining if we demote him off PP1!
I also want Boeser on the left side half board so that we have one-timers options on both side (with Petey on the other). But I think they also need a right shot player down low to set up Horvat for the one-timer in the slot. I'm not sure we have the personnel to change it up much to be honest.

**Edit: maybe put Garland down low and move Boeser to the left half board?

Last edited:

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I'm a bit torn about Miller. I was ready to unload him asap last year after he started last season the way he did, showing up other players and spazzing out. But he really carried this team later when everything was going sideways. He has the ability to drive a line when he's on his game. But after seeing him start the season looking so bad, and not demonstrating any leadership out there, I'm ready to say goodbye, again. I do worry that he's going to spoil our younger players with his attitude. I worry that nobody in the room has the balls to stand up to the guy, because he is important to the team, and he's also a volatile hot head who will take it personally and then who knows what he'll pull. I'm back on the wagon of trading Miller for a young, right handed defender that can play top 4 minutes.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
This years canucks

centro-malo.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If you base it on simply pay-scales, the core group of the Canucks is now comprised of Pettersson, Boeser, Miller and Horvat on the forward line. And on the blueline, Hughes, OEL and Myers; and of course Demko, who's in the $5m salary range.

The rest of the team is either rookies and sophomores on entry-level contracts; or replaceable depth players mostly earning under $3m a season.

So is this a core that could eventually challenge for a Stanley Cup? Not very likely imo.

But until they have a coach who demands defensive accountability, and this team rededicates itself to playing the kind of 180-foot game you have to have to win in the playoffs, then we'll never know for certain.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I'm a bit torn about Miller. I was ready to unload him asap last year after he started last season the way he did, showing up other players and spazzing out. But he really carried this team later when everything was going sideways. He has the ability to drive a line when he's on his game. But after seeing him start the season looking so bad, and not demonstrating any leadership out there, I'm ready to say goodbye, again. I do worry that he's going to spoil our younger players with his attitude. I worry that nobody in the room has the balls to stand up to the guy, because he is important to the team, and he's also a volatile hot head who will take it personally and then who knows what he'll pull. I'm back on the wagon of trading Miller for a young, right handed defender that can play top 4 minutes.
I too have mixed feeling with Miller. At times I love his play on the ice (the 2019-20 season) and I also love how he stands up for his team and call out the ridiculous scheduling post-covid break last season (something I thought management should've done but didn't). But his play and attitude on the ice last season and this...
We kind of have to keep him this season as we are all-in for the playoff (things are not going to get easier going forward when we have to gut more depth to fit in Boeser's new contract). Yet if we can move him for a young RSD with top 4 potential, how can you say no? Tough spot to be in. I'm not sure he is toxic in the room yet, but seeing how disinterested Petterson got recently, you do wonder if Miller's attitude is rubbing off on him?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I agree with Billy. Only so many jobs out there. Take a guy like Boudreau. He'll turn 67 soon and has been around the block. He's been on record saying he wants to coach in the NHL and has previously shown interest in the Kraken job. You don't think he'll jump at the chance to coach here? The fit is actually good for Boudreau who has a track record of coaching his team to the playoffs and the Canucks are offensively inclined.

The Canucks have young players but they're a veteran team. Petey is a 4th year pro. Hughes is in his 3rd year. The team wants to win now. That is appealing to a lot of coaches whose task for the first year is to get the team to the playoffs. Would Mike Babcock leave U of Sask to take over the team? I bet he would if he has an out clause. Claude Julien is getting his $5M so he could afford to wait to see if a better opportunity comes up.

Willie D did have an offer from the Penguins when we hired him. He legit had choices.

That's because he was regarded as a very good up and coming coach who had won at all levels. Look what happened to him; his stint with the Canucks nearly ruined his career. You think guys like Boudreau, Babcock or Julien are willing to take that chance? Hell Mike freakin' Keenan can't get an NHL job now...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's because he was regarded as a very good up and coming coach who had won at all levels. Look what happened to him; his stint with the Canucks nearly ruined his career. You think guys like Boudreau, Babcock or Julien are willing to take that chance? Hell Mike freakin' Keenan can't get an NHL job now...

His absolute incompetence ruined his career.

If Boudreau, Babcock, Julien just bother to attempt to, you know, match lines with the opposition coach in the playoffs and take advantage of last change, I'm sure they'd be fine.

Reactions: geebaan and B-rock

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
For some reason I thought Gallant was still out there available for hire.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Most coaches get one shot. There aren't too many coaches who fail consecutively and still get another HC job in the NHL. Keenan was on a short leash because of the lack of success he achieved from St. Louis on. He might have drawn a bit of a short straw in Calgary. Marc Crawford suffered the same fate. Bylsma decided life was better as an AHL assistant coach. Guy Boucher was a very good up and comer coach as well. He got another shot with Ottawa and I don't think he'll get another one unless Montreal comes calling.

Are teams lining up for Boudreau and Babcock? Doesn't sound like it. These guys are veteran coaches. Sure they may only have one shot left but there's only so long they can wait. Julien will probably get another shot but he will be on a short leash.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
If you base it on simply pay-scales, the core group of the Canucks is now comprised of Pettersson, Boeser, Miller and Horvat on the forward line. And on the blueline, Hughes, OEL and Myers; and of course Demko, who's in the $5m salary range.

The rest of the team is either rookies and sophomores on entry-level contracts; or replaceable depth players mostly earning under $3m a season.

So is this a core that could eventually challenge for a Stanley Cup? Not very likely imo.

But until they have a coach who demands defensive accountability, and this team rededicates itself to playing the kind of 180-foot game you have to have to win in the playoffs, then we'll never know for certain.
Myers is technically part of our core players?

No wonder we still suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1