Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I can't wait for people to pretend this thread didn't exist when Marner not only gets a good return, but goes on to be a great franchise player for another team.

When those fans try to claim it was Leaf fans saying those things, I bet this thread will get linked a lot

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Wonder if Nashville would be interested. They were in the market for big name player a few drafts ago.

Something around Fabbro, Tomasino ++ for Marner extended etc.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Wonder if Nashville would be interested. They were in the market for big name player a few drafts ago.

Something around Fabbro, Tomasino ++ for Marner extended etc.
Or they keep their prospects and offer him a nice deal for next season.
Preds need goalscoring, not a godlike perimeter player for the regular season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I can't wait for people to pretend this thread didn't exist when Marner not only gets a good return, but goes on to be a great franchise player for another team.

When those fans try to claim it was Leaf fans saying those things, I bet this thread will get linked a lot
That would be solely up to marner he has the NMC. leafs can't trade him where ever they want just cause the other team gives good or better return.

Reactions: Fatass

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I'd imagine that every team in the league knows that there's little chance of Marner actually making it to UFA.

Assuming he allows the Leafs to deal him, he's likely going to get dealt to a location where he signs an extension.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The options available to the Leafs in a Marner trade are very limited due to Marner's rental status, his caphit, his 12M+ salary demands on his next contract, his NMC and his reputation for being a post-season no-show.

Leaf fans will not be happy with the return in a Marner trade. Its gonna suck.

Reactions: Fatass

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There are several issues.

1. He gets to approve any deal.
2. He hasn't played well in the playoffs at all, not just this year.
2. The Leafs are looking to win now so futures wont get it done so any team has to give up a star or soon to be star +
4. Any team trading for him would have to be comfortable in trading the assets for him and taking the chance he walks next summer.

Fair value just isn't happening.

Uhhh... he had 14 points in 11 games last year.... 8 in 7 the year before....

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Agreed, options are limited though the Leafs could get a player of need like they did when trading Nazem Kardri who had a NTC and got Tyson Barrie from Colorado for D upgrade, although that did not work out perfectly for the Leafs while it did for Colorado.

Most players that are 27 years old getting 85-99 points in the last 3 years are typically never available for trade and the closest was Matthew Tkachuk recently who got a decent haul for Calgary. Funny enough it was Treliving that made the Calgary trade and could end up making a similar move yet again.

Whatever happens the salary cap will be an asset as the team can’t be paying almost 48% of the cap on just four forwards the roster balance needs to finally happen and this is where the Leafs win in the end.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed, options are limited though the Leafs could get a player of need like they did when trading Nazem Kardri who had a NTC and got Tyson Barrie from Colorado for D upgrade, although that did not work out perfectly for the Leafs while it did for Colorado.

Most players that are 27 years old getting 85-99 points in the last 3 years are typically never available for trade and the closest was Matthew Tkachuk recently who got a decent haul for Calgary. Funny enough it was Treliving that made the Calgary trade and could end up making a similar move yet again.

Whatever happens the salary cap will be an asset as the team can’t be paying almost 48% of the cap on just four forwards the roster balance needs to finally happen and this is where the Leafs win in the end.
I’m guessing a lot of Calgary fans would have preferred just letting Matt Tkatchuk walk as a free agent than get Huberdeau who they are now stuck with. Leafs might be better off keeping Marner and letting him leave as a UFA. Treliving is the same guy who made that Tkatchuk trade.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
I’m guessing a lot of Calgary fans would have preferred just letting Matt Tkatchuk walk as a free agent than get Huberdeau who they are now stuck with. Leafs might be better off keeping Marner and letting him leave as a UFA. Treliving is the same guy who made that Tkatchuk trade.
The Flames got a good defenseman in MacKenzie Weegar that still brought decent trade value. While Huberdeau has not lived up to his contract Weegar has for sure.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Marner to Nashville for Carrier and Scissons.

Forsberg - O'Reilly - Marner would be an awesome top line.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They had Weegar and a 1st as well. They also could have flipped Huberdeau as well

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010

I don’t see Marner making it to free agency

Leafs will trade him before that happens and Marner will go where we wants because he has a NTC. That team will than resign him.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

To be fair, trading for Hubrerdeau wasn't the bad idea... it was signing him.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Chicago, Carolina and Nashville are 3 teams I think for sure would be interested in Marner if he's available.

Marner to Nashville for Carrier and Scissons.

Forsberg - O'Reilly - Marner would be an awesome top line.
I like Sissons as one of the players coming back but not huge on Carrier and the leafs would need more as well in the deal.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What are the chances he'd be willing to waive to go to Ottawa ? Would love to take a run at bringing in Tkachuk.

Sens fans will be coming after me for suggesting this and, rightfully so.

That's the kind of guy the Leafs need. It cannot be the depth guys that bring that nastiness and attitude, it's gotta be one of the core guys, one of the leaders. Would absolutely love to somehow make a trade for him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What are the chances he'd be willing to waive to go to Ottawa ? Would love to take a run at bringing in Tkachuk.

Sens fans will be coming after me for suggesting this and, rightfully so.

That's the kind of guy the Leafs need. It cannot be the depth guys that bring that nastiness and attitude, it's gotta be one of the core guys, one of the leaders. Would absolutely love to somehow make a trade for him.
There is 0 chance of this happening.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

Meh someone who is a self proclaimed god is a little off putting he is a great hockey player who competes hard but that attitude will hold him back in order to be a hockey god you gotta have the desire to be the best player, teammate and leader. You at least need a cup he doesn't have that yet so he might be a great regular season player but he has to produce come playoff time irregardless of circumstance if he wants to think that highly of himself, mitch needs to chase those w's and force them and not sit back and be like oh well whatever I'm still a beast. I'll give him the benefit of doubt because Toronto media is annoying as hell. I can see him going to Vegas via cap circumvention he'll be the regular season hero while stone and eich recover from "injuries"

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Really hope the Blues jump in the discussion.....
Will never forget being laughed at by a TML fan when the Blues traded Lee Stempniak for Steen and Colavacivo.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

HFBOARDS posters have a 0% track record when it comes to leafs players

Worse than the leafs powerplay, even. They got one right at least

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad