Post-Game Talk: Sabres def. Canucks - 5-2 (Horvat, Dowling)

Point Spread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. That pretty well sums up the last eight years of Canuck hockey.

After going through one of the worst years in franchise history last year, the owner didn't fire anybody.....the only guy who apparently was eased out was Newell Brown, who took the fall for a lousy power-play--that doesn't look much different than last season so far.

It's the same lackluster play; goaltenders being buried under an avalanche of shots and chances; and another group of highly-paid players who constantly underachieve or show a lack of leadership and emotion on too many nights.

Canucks fans can whine about it all they want....but the only guy who counts is the owner. If he doesn't demand better results and accountability, nothing will change.
Sort of.

The fans dont count but their money does.

So if fans happily buy tickets, buy merchandise, pay for TV packages and the like plus stan for the team theres no impetus for the owner to change.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Quinn Hughes is like Scott Niedermeyer. Meanwhile, Kyle Okposo almost died for a year and has 2 more points than Pettersson this game. It’s a young team but so is most of the damn league.

They can’t be scared to get injured. Green is right about 10 hits in 3 periods. JT Miller is going soft, Horvat actually fought a couple games ago. Even Pearson got into it, but where’s everybody else?

You’re not going to lose popularity making hits, in fact that’s how you gain it. [For the money chasers on the team (all of them)].

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Congrats to the 2 people who won the poll!
PnnUmxx.png

@Kreator @spacemonke22

Tell us what your secret was.

Obviously most of this board is still too damn optimistic for their own damn good.

Reactions: racerjoe and PM

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Get Miller off of PP1, sick of watching his predictable pass patterns, and then when he tries something not predictable it is an instant give away.

Petey needs to wake up and start trying.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Even the positive Canucks supporters on Twitter are turning on Green.

It is pretty much a given. When a long-time losing team loses merely because the opponents outwork them and play with more structure, it has to be considered whether the coach has lost the room.

One can argue about player usage and systems, but if the team is losing and the coach has lost the room or enough of the leaders in the room that they're showing poor effort, then the coach pretty much has to be changed and even those that otherwise defend the coach should accept that. As someone who has often thought differently about Green's player deployment than the views expressed in the majority of posts on this board, I think it inevitable that Green will be fired and am within a game of thinking that he has to go quickly to minimize players getting used to feeling it is ok to slack off physically and mentally.

However, I really don't want Green to go while Benning stays. It is looking more and more as if that could happen. In my darkest moments come thoughts about the team improving under an interim coach and after the season is over, with the Canucks having traded their 2022 1st round pick for immediate help in an unsuccessful bid to make the 2022 playoffs, we listen to Jim Benning proudly introduce Trent Cull as the new coach of the NHL Canucks.

Last edited:

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
“When I look at the stats sheet we have 9 forwards that don’t have a blocked shot and 8 that don’t have a hit.”
- Travis Green.

This pretty much confirms what type of Coach this guy is.

I can see this guy with the post game notes
his eyes darting instantly to blocked shots and hits

Yet this is the coach that wouldn't play then waived MacEwen and Gadjovich for Chiasson and Petan....

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Tired of Green. Want him fired. Team has all kinds of problems, but he's the biggest, easiest-to-solve of all the problems right now. Surely there has to be a coach out there that can do more with this lineup than this clown who keeps trying to shove square pegs into round holes over and over and over and over again.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Should of kept MacEwen and sent him out there to beat someone up. No spark on this team, little grit, not overloaded with offensive talent so what exactly are we?

Detroit's whole team was challenging us to fights, running after Garland and not one of our guys stepped up and took one It was one of the most embarrassing things in a hockey game I've ever seen, honestly.

Then Buffalo, again no spark, no grit, no energy no nothing.

I will say, Demko has looked good

Unfortunately Boeser is still slow as molasses but let's give him some time

Miller needs to be traded ASAP before he infects our whole team with his f***ing whining and lack of effort. I can't stand it. Am I seriously the only one who sees this?

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
“When I look at the stats sheet we have 9 forwards that don’t have a blocked shot and 8 that don’t have a hit.”
- Travis Green.

This pretty much confirms what type of Coach this guy is.

I can see this guy with the post game notes
his eyes darting instantly to blocked shots and hits
Pretty much tells you that he has no idea what happened last night. Clear as day that there was a breakdown in defensive structure. But if you weren’t the one who instituted the changes, you won’t be able to get it back on track mid-game.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
pAcK iT uP. wE'rE aLmOsT 5% oF tHe wAy tHrOuGh tHe yEaR aNd wE aRe uNdEr 500.

This was a frustrating game.

The posters who f***ing obsess over a single quote that was given to the media are hilarious.

First of all, noticing that the majority of your team's players failed to register a hit or a shot block is relevant. You aren't Jonah Hill in Moneyball courageously fighting against the old dinosaur scouts.

If a single player doesn't register either of those for a game, it doesn't mean he didn't play well. If 50% of your team failed to register either, then you played soft as a f***ing grape. Full stop.

To be honest though, the team is still gelling and guys are still getting comfortable.

Boeser had a tap-in (for him) that he managed to deflect out of the rink, Miller has been giving the puck away a lot. If our stars are looking so out of sync in 10 games, I start to worry. 4 games in with like 9 new players, I'm giving it time because these are human beings and it takes time to figure each other out and find your own game.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Green will literally always blame anything but himself when the things that he puts blame on are his fault lol. "We aren't hard to play against, the players arent doing this, the players arent doing that". Its ur job dude!!!!
Agree and add in the fact when cowards like iMac finally have the balls to call out the team they only call out the players and leave Green unscathed. I swear he is teflon.

how does a coach in the NHL survive 5 years with a losing record? Only in Vancouver, where losing is totally acceptable apparently

Reactions: racerjoe

Sedinery

May 24, 2021

The posters who f***ing obsess over a single quote that was given to the media are hilarious.

First of all, noticing that the majority of your team's players failed to register a hit or a shot block is relevant. You aren't Jonah Hill in Moneyball courageously fighting against the old dinosaur scouts.

If a single player doesn't register either of those for a game, it doesn't mean he didn't play well. If 50% of your team failed to register either, then you played soft as a f***ing grape. Full stop.

To be honest though, the team is still gelling and guys are still getting comfortable.

Boeser had a tap-in (for him) that he managed to deflect out of the rink, Miller has been giving the puck away a lot. If our stars are looking so out of sync in 10 games, I start to worry. 4 games in with like 9 new players, I'm giving it time because these are human beings and it takes time to figure each other out and find your own game.

i love how people like you say meh relax its early its a long season. When its the end of the season the difference between making it the playoffs and missing the playoffs is a matter of a handful of points so do the games at the end of the year make more of a difference than games at the beginning?

what is concerning most to most on here is the complete lack of structure and team defence. People somehow pinned hopes on Shaw? But here is a newsflash, Green is still the Head Coach and Baumer still runs the D

so try pointing to all the “missed chances” you want, you don’t think our opposition has had even more missed chances with our non existent coverage?

but meh its early chill out

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Well on the bright side better to lose early. Maybe just maybe the owners get enough heat to fire Green at least if not Benning to. Bruce Boudreau could do a lot better with the offensive talent we have for sure.

Reactions: Indiana

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity

Yes, it is early but Detroit and Buffalo just skated circles around us and we have yet to play the Col/VGK/TB/Boston level teams.

This offence looks the same as every other year under Green yet we have added scoring talent.

Green is holding this franchise back.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Well on the bright side better to lose early. Maybe just maybe the owners get enough heat to fire Green at least if not Benning to. Bruce Boudreau could do a lot better with the offensive talent we have for sure.

Wow I can't wait for another off-season of hype when a new coach steps in and we got on a bit of a winstreak near the end of the season. I'm sure it will carry over into next year.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
The latest “excuse” seems to be “we have new players and it will take time to gel”. That is garbage. What is a coaching staff for? How do olympic teams come together? Do they have time to “gel”

in conference play with 3 point games there is zero time to screw up

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

It’s the coaches responsibility to ensure the team is ready. The team wasn’t ready by a long shot. Why?

Reactions: geebaan

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Wow I can't wait for another off-season of hype when a new coach steps in and we got on a bit of a winstreak near the end of the season. I'm sure it will carry over into next year.
Well I'm hoping it's not at end of the season but within 10-20 games in. 60 plus games is a lot to turn season around. Green is definitely not working is my point. Benny well he's clueless goes without saying.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Pretty hilarious the dude freaking out was anointing them a top 10 team after the first game

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Tired of Green. Want him fired. Team has all kinds of problems, but he's the biggest, easiest-to-solve of all the problems right now. Surely there has to be a coach out there that can do more with this lineup than this clown who keeps trying to shove square pegs into round holes over and over and over and over again.

I have not liked Green since his first year, I do not believe he can change. Just take a look at the first unit PP, it has not changed from last year.

Reactions: Indiana

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Friendly reminder the coaches contract ran out and they had an easy out to not bringing him back and also the skids were greased to completely change up the entire front office but they brought the entire band back except the PP coach.

Reactions: timw33 and Indiana

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Obviously Green is not really good enough to get this team where it needs to go, but the fact that the Canucks can even ice this blueline without a full-scale Crown inquiry is ridiculous. I know we were missing Hughes, but I was assured that GodKingGMLord Benning had picked up a second #1 dman this summer that would cover up for these types of situations. Instead OEL is invisible and the rest of the dcore is as terrible as expected

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Obviously Green is not really good enough to get this team where it needs to go, but the fact that the Canucks can even ice this blueline without a full-scale Crown inquiry is ridiculous. I know we were missing Hughes, but I was assured that GodKingGMLord Benning had picked up a second #1 dman this summer that would cover up for these types of situations. Instead OEL is invisible and the rest of the dcore is as terrible as expected
I’m not sure how people still have the energy to invest in caring about management. They’re here to stay.

However bad you think the lineup is, it’s apparent to all but those who hate stats, thst the coach isn’t getting enough out of the roster at hand.

Reactions: Zippgunn

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
I’m not sure how people still have the energy to invest in caring about management. They’re here to stay.

However bad you think the lineup is, it’s apparent to all but those who hate stats, thst the coach isn’t getting enough out of the roster at hand.
I don't disagree at all, but I'm just a dumb man who hasn't had all of the hope crushed out of me yet. There's still time though of course

Reactions: geebaan and Indiana

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

i think it’s naive to believe that changing the coach will change anything. The entire organization needs to be turned upside down before we’ll see any different results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad