GBU Sabres - Bruins; Good/Bad/Ugly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

Cozens with some signs of life and I think he surprised Frederic.
The kids in general had some push to their game.
Dahlin trying...

The Bad:

...and getting bloodied for it.
Their defensive effort was lackadaisical as usual.
Playing VO over Jost as a healthy lineup decision.
They are slipping toward Eichel era unlikable at the moment.

The Ugly:

Burning away almost all of the good will and positivity of almost 15 months of play by absolutely getting curb stomped at home but this is the exclamation point on a stretch of atrocious hockey.
The team response since Adams rolled over at the deadline. They rolled over too.
Everything around the goaltending - the players who play it, the people who acquired them, the guy who is their position coach, the guy who is their head coach, and how the team plays in front of 'em. f*** the bunch of 'em.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
U

I just don’t see how one could swing back to such negative thoughts about the team or organization as a whole because of a horrifying stretch of hockey largely due to shooter tutor goaltending.

Yes, the defensive play is bad and chances aren’t going in like they used to (that’s what happens with a team of + shooters), but all season it’s the same song and dance. Allowing 4+ per game. I won’t let this stretch ruin my confidence that the staff can fix these issues. I expect 2 new goalies next year + assistant changes starting with Mike Bales.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Good: it's over and so is this season
Bad: defense and goaltending
ugly: the last 10 games. Proves this team doesn't have 💩 when the marbles are on the line
they will get better.
😂🤣 LOL thanks for the laugh. They suck and always will. 50+ years and 0 to show for it. The Red Sox had the curse of the Bambino. We have the 1970 curse since the Canucks have the same luck-none. Maybe in another 50 years our luck will change. Oh well. Enjoy your Stanley Cup this summer

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
U

I just don’t see how one could swing back to such negative thoughts about the team or organization as a whole because of a horrifying stretch of hockey largely due to shooter tutor goaltending.

Yes, the defensive play is bad and chances aren’t going in like they used to (that’s what happens with a team of + shooters), but all season it’s the same song and dance. Allowing 4+ per game. I won’t let this stretch ruin my confidence that the staff can fix these issues. I expect 2 new goalies next year + assistant changes starting with Mike Bales.
be ready to be disappointed.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Many defended UPL. Maybe he's good, not this year though.

I full expect wherever he lands, he'll straighten it out and be a passable NHL goalie. Just to twist the knife a bit, he probably climbs back toward his OHL MVP season in the way Ullmark has ridden off into the honey bear sunset.

U

Clearly the public is tired of it or they wouldn't be selling their tickets to fans from every other nearby city. The team appealed to the fans for support and then went out with barely a whimper, while raising ticket prices by 9%.

And while it would be great to see some improvement in their goaltending and someone new as the position coach for the goalies, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do anything since they've been content now for two different regimes to just wait. And wait. And wait. People have every right to be angry at how this has unraveled. The fabric of what was appealing about the team isn't so tightly woven that some distress could not push it all over into a heap.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
so glad I didn't bother. what a f***ing joke of what was once an awesome organization, from ownership on down.
I really miss when the team had some grit and pride. Being down 7-0 against a division rival would turn into a blood bath with Ray, May, Barnaby. Today it's roll over and fall asleep. It's been that way for a long while i.e. Lucic on Miller with zero response. Depressing to watch

Reactions: Ralonzo

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I full expect wherever he lands, he'll straighten it out and be a passable NHL goalie. Just to twist the knife a bit, he probably climbs back toward his OHL MVP season in the way Ullmark has ridden off into the honey bear sunset.

Clearly the public is tired of it or they wouldn't be selling their tickets to fans from every other nearby city. The team appealed to the fans for support and then went out with barely a whimper, while raising ticket prices by 9%.

And while it would be great to see some improvement in their goaltending and someone new as the position coach for the goalies, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do anything since they've been content now for two different regimes to just wait. And wait. And wait. People have every right to be angry at how this has unraveled. The fabric of what was appealing about the team isn't so tightly woven that some distress could not push it all over into a heap.

So to get 6K back, you’re saying we gotta turn the entire area in and around Buffalo into a wasteland like it is in Sudbury?*

*I kid. Sudbury has really greened up what they can since 2000

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
The Ugly:

Burning away almost all of the good will and positivity of almost 15 months of play by absolutely getting curb stomped at home but this is the exclamation point on a stretch of atrocious hockey.
The team response since Adams rolled over at the deadline. They rolled over too.
You keep repeating this like it is a fact, but I just don't see it. The team has been a flop since it no showed at home against Carolina before the All Star break. They got some wins in there, a few I would argue were not deserved, but a bunch more no shows before the deadline - CBJ ,Toronto. Calagary, etc

It is revisionist history and rather simplistic to think this team became so despondent on March 3rd it decided to suck at hockey. Granato has never held anyone accountable the entire year for a lackadaisical effort in the defensive zone, and now we are in the stretch of the season where other teams are buttoning down further. The Sabres, meanwhile, are doing the same low IQ mistakes they have been making the entire season and the results are predictably getting worse.

It is way too convenient for anyone to blame the TDL for what is going on

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Idk how some can say no good, I can see plenty. For instance:
-Cozens getting fighting practice
-Draft position 📈
-We can now play Levi whenever we want since no playoffs

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
The Good:

Cozens with some signs of life and I think he surprised Frederic.
The kids in general had some push to their game.
Dahlin trying...

The Bad:

...and getting bloodied for it.
Their defensive effort was lackadaisical as usual.
Playing VO over Jost as a healthy lineup decision.
They are slipping toward Eichel era unlikable at the moment.

The Ugly:

Everything around the goaltending - the players who play it, the people who acquired them, the guy who is their position coach, the guy who is their head coach, and how the team plays in front of 'em. f*** the bunch of 'em.
These Jost benchings makes him all but gone come summer, right ? Hopefully they can find someone int/ext to fill that spot and perhaps better at the pk.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I only watched the first 15 seconds. Bruins scored. It was clear that the Sabres were not here to play.

That said, I think it can be reasonably argued that this team gave up when the GM didn’t make a real move at the deadline, and signaled to the team and fans that this season didn’t matter to them.
I started taping the game and switched to march madness after the first goal. I give them a pass on not trying to make a big splash at the deadline--I thought what we brought in would give us a little more experience and jam. It hasn't worked out that way. This team needs a good preseason and a lot of practices to learn better defensive postures and 5 man play. Injuries, travel, catching up on ppd games and lack of NHL experience are a large part of our problems right now---but dammit there should stilll be a sense of urgency and pride from everyone not just a couple of guys...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So to get 6K back, you’re saying we gotta turn the entire area in and around Buffalo into a wasteland like it is in Sudbury?*

*I kid. Sudbury has really greened up what they can since 2000

We could get into something about how to turn brown field into green field.

You keep repeating this like it is a fact, but I just don't see it. The team has been a flop since it no showed at home against Carolina before the All Star break. They got some wins in there, a few I would argue were not deserved, but a bunch more no shows before the deadline - CBJ ,Toronto. Calagary, etc

It is revisionist history and rather simplistic to think this team became so despondent on March 3rd it decided to suck at hockey. Granato has never held anyone accountable the entire year for a lackadaisical effort in the defensive zone, and now we are in the stretch of the season where other teams are buttoning down further. The Sabres, meanwhile, are doing the same low IQ mistakes they have been making the entire season and the results are predictably getting worse.

It is way too convenient for anyone to blame the TDL for what is going on

I'm curious where else I've made that claim other than in here. You may have me confused with someone else. There are plenty of folks who are angry.

And yes, they were streaky - the Carolina loss was part of a set of what, four games? where they lost, then they went down to Florida and won both, beat up on the Caps, then had a rough game at home against Columbus where they came out extremely flat, then the stinker for the last 10 minutes against the Bruins. They looked like a team that had hit the wall. They rallied against Tampa, played the Oilers close and then got the league kick in the junk with the Fasching goal against the Islanders. They were flat trade week, they've been flat frequently in most of the games since. Help would have been welcomed.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Ugly: 2-7-2 in the last 11. 53 goals against in that span

Starting to feel like this team overachieved a bit
I think they were exactly what they were. A very talented, but inconsistent team due to inexperience. Couple that inexperience with a killer end of season schedule and not enough practice time for a team that could really use it, the wheels have fallen off. They'll be much improved next year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The Good:
-Hall out for Bruins. He's "brave" in games like this and would have scored today to rub salt in the wound.

The Bad:
-Giving up early goals
-Anemic offense, and players who have gone MIA
-Not being able use the language necessary to describe this team today.

The Ugly:
-Dahlin and Cozens being about the only two standing up for teammates.
-Granato being unable to motivate this group the last ; regardless of whether it's him or them.
-Constantly giving up goals do to poor defensive positioning/reads.
-Team having no pride, no compete. They are more pathetic than the tank teams. The tank teams had no talent.
Feels like a copied and pasted post seen during each coach’s last season here during their time here in Pegula’s ownership.

Reactions: pf8363

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Good
Not much in a home 7 to 0 loss
Bad
Too much respect to a top team
Trying not to lose instead of trying to win
Ugly
Lots. Should have the advantage in home games where Sabres control the matchups
Late season collapse
Lack of compete

The bruins are the top team this year and they were on fire. Was expecting a loss but..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad