Speculation: Sabres at the trade deadline – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Stewart sounds a lot like Stafford but with a little more fire. I can see them keeping him into next season. I mean, they do need players. I also hope they ride Ehrhoff and Myers a little deeper into those contracts. Maybe even re-sign Moulson.

Halak and Tallinder should be dumped for anything. Leino bought out, of course. Stafford is an interesting deadline possibility.

Stewart does not have more "fire" than Stafford (who is, and always has been, irrationally dumped on in that regard by fans).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Stewart sounds a lot like Stafford but with a little more fire. I can see them keeping him into next season. I mean, they do need players. I also hope they ride Ehrhoff and Myers a little deeper into those contracts. Maybe even re-sign Moulson.

Halak and Tallinder should be dumped for anything. Leino bought out, of course. Stafford is an interesting deadline possibility.

Stewart fights more, but floats more. Stewart plays more of a power forward game, but isn't even adequate defensively. And Stafford has never been regarded as an off-ice cancer, even by those who don't hold his on-ice game in high regard. The only similarities I see are that they play the same position and are inconsistent.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
Would the Rangers part with Callahan if Stewart was the return?

When there were rumors in early-Feb of the Rangers interest in Stewart from the Blues (at that time), the consensus on the Rangers board was that more needed to come back in addition to Stewart for Callahan. Figuring an NHL-ready prospect or 1st/2nd rounder. I know that Callahan is a pending UFA and Stewart has another year on his deal, but the value is definitely a little off on a 1-for-1.

If the Rangers and Sabres were to make a deal involving Callahan (where many believe he might be headed as a UFA), I honestly have no clue what the Rangers would want from Buffalo, but I don't think Stewart would be a target, nor would they want Moulson. They're definitely not looking to swap UFAs because all things equal, it appears they'd be better off holding onto their captain for a playoff run and continue to try to work something out. If negotiations don't progress by then, they can always deal his rights to Buffalo in June for a mid-round pick, which would drive most Rangers fans insane. Better than nothing though, imo.

JTyler48

Jan 26, 2014
Stewart does not have more "fire" than Stafford (who is, and always has been, irrationally dumped on in that regard by fans).

I haven't watched him play much but this is what I was thinking/wondering.

Stafford has always gotten dumped on. The first things I heard about Stewart from a Blues reporter is that he plays good for 10 games and is gone for 15.

If thats the case, it doesn't exactly sound like a guy i'd like to build around.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
From the tone of discussions here, and given Sacco's history with Stewart, I am led to think that, either
1) Sacco thinks that Stewart can be productive in the right situation, (assuming Murray asked his opinion...)
Or, more likely,
2) he is stopping here for a physical and a beef on weck on his way to another team.
I haven't watched him play much but this is what I was thinking/wondering.

Stafford has always gotten dumped on. The first things I heard about Stewart from a Blues reporter is that he plays good for 10 games and is gone for 15.

If thats the case, it doesn't exactly sound like a guy i'd like to build around.

JTyler48

Jan 26, 2014
From the tone of discussions here, and given Sacco's history with Stewart, I am led to think that, either
1) Sacco thinks that Stewart can be productive in the right situation, (assuming Murray asked his opinion...)
Or, more likely,
2) he is stopping here for a physical and a beef on weck on his way to another team.

I'm thinking 2 as well.

IMO this is a big part of the trade because Ott was included too.

Miller alone probably could have fetched 2015 1st, Carrier and the Halak dump.

IMO the 3rd and Stewart was a big part of the Ott portion of the deal.

Given how the deal happened 5 days before the deadline and Ott was a big piece on the table for the taking, they needed to land big for him. I just don't see Stewart himself being the guy I'd want to build around if what I've heard is true.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
The more I am looking at it, I would not mind not only keeping Stewart but extending him for around his current salary... 4/17. The guy is only 26, we are extremely weak on the wing (and weak with wing prospects), he averages 25 goals per 82 games played and he is physical. He is struggling this year but look at his line mates and his ice time. He is only getting 14:42 per game and is still scoring at a 20 goal pace. Remember, along with Shattenkirk once upon a time Stewart was a major piece to acquire Erik Johnson.

I would not mind one bit to keep Stewart and extend him. If we do deal him, I would not take anything less then a 2015 1st. He is definitely worth it IMO. I think a Ennis-Hodgson-Stewart combo would be a pretty good top line for next year... All 3 guys are all young, skilled and are easily our 3 best forwards once Moulson is dealt.

I also see no reason to not keep Stewart for the rest of the year and evaluate after season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
We aren't getting Lazar. He's the one player Bryan Murray mentioned by name that he was not trading. That probably means something.

I do wonder if we can get Toffoli. Lombardi can probably re-sign Moulson given the connection between Quick and Moulson. Lombardi has re-signed trade deadline acquisitions in the past (Regehr and Penner spring to mind), so his MO may be to acquire players he believes they can re-sign or will be on the team beyond the current season. The question is what we have to add to Moulson to get Toffoli. The Blues' 2015 1st? More?

I would rather give up a prospect or another roster player then give up any 1st, especially a 2015 one. I know it's practically a lock that the Blues make the playoffs next year, but stranger things have happened. If for some reason they get some major injuries or struggle next year and somehow miss the playoffs , that's another longshot lottery ticket for McDavid. If anything we should be trading for more 2015 1sts.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Stewart is interesting because of his size, scoring ability and that he is only 26. His deficiencies seem to be what Nolan excels at in bringing out of players.

Exactly. I really think we should give Nolan a chance to bring out the best in this guy. After all, he is young, physical, and can score. My Lord, why would anyone be so willing to dump him before we even gave him a chance.

Chemistry and coaching are huge in a persons development.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Stewart's attitude has already developed and it's not going away. Even if Nolan can keep it in check, Nolan isn't going to stay very long anyway. If Stewart isn't traded by Wednesday he should be traded this time next year, keeping him only to help make the cap floor. At 26 his game is developed and he is what he's going to be. Attitude or not, I'm not that impressed with him as a top-six RW anyway.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Stewart's attitude has already developed and it's not going away. Even if Nolan can keep it in check, Nolan isn't going to stay very long anyway. If Stewart isn't traded by Wednesday he should be traded this time next year, keeping him only to help make the cap floor. At 26 his game is developed and he is what he's going to be. Attitude or not, I'm not that impressed with him as a top-six RW anyway.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=53&id=563909&lang=en

@ about 4:10 - Dreger goes into Stewart. Specifically:

"Had a bit of a label, and I think it's somewhat unfair"

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
"Somewhat" unfair. Not, "totally unfounded". Anyway, he's not consistent enough and is terrible defensively. Buffalo should be aiming higher.

It's not a ringing endorsement true lol - hey if they can flip him for more then good for them - it makes the trade even better

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It's not a ringing endorsement true lol - hey if they can flip him for more then good for them - it makes the trade even better

That's what I'm hoping for. Whether it's Ottawa or another team, I hope they can get less quantity for more quality (ie - an 'A' prospect, or a 2015 1st from a possible lottery team).

I really wanted Callahan in 2008, but not now. If Buffalo can sign him in the summer I won't cry, but they shouldn't trade for him.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Operating under the assumption that they meet his contract demands and get him signed -- a realistic scenario -- I'd give up Stewart (and more) for Callahan.

Same here...I also think Callahan being here would give the team some legitimacy in recruiting other free agents to sign here in the future. He would also be a good veteran presence and great from a marketing standpoint. I do realize that we can just sign him as a UFA in July but I am sure we wont be the only team vying for his services.

Karate Johnson*

I want nothing to do with Stewart, let him be someone else's risky project.

Buffalo should be getting/keeping players that bring character to the team, not players that the team needs to instill character into.

I don't know man.... He seems like exactly the type of risky project I want to see for a year. If he's still an ******* or a floater after a year here trade him next deadline.

Obviously, if someone wants him right now for something we really want I'm cool with that too.

Does anyone know if Stewart and/Halak have come to buffalo yet? It would be telling as to their future with the team if Murray just had them sit tight in St.Louis. I suppose they need physicals.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't know man.... He seems like exactly the type of risky project I want to see for a year. If he's still an ******* or a floater after a year here trade him next deadline.

Obviously, if someone wants him right now for something we really want I'm cool with that too.

I'm also afraid of keeping him for a year, and his stats and/or attitude go/stay south and his trade value falls to less than what it is now.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Operating under the assumption that they meet his contract demands and get him signed -- a realistic scenario -- I'd give up Stewart (and more) for Callahan.

Which leads to the next issue..I'm not giving that much term and money to Callahan.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Does anyone know if Stewart and/Halak have come to buffalo yet? It would be telling as to their future with the team if Murray just had them sit tight in St.Louis. I suppose they need physicals.

Wouldn't be the worse thing in the world to keep Stewart for the year... Good cap hit to production ratio to move toward the cap floor with for next year..

Karate Johnson*

I'm also afraid of keeping him for a year, and his stats and/or attitude go/stay south and his trade value falls to less than what it is now.

Valid concern. Obviously you listen to offers, shop him a bit.

I just love the idea of taking a big, talented kid and turning his career around. It's worth the risk to me... Teddy is a good coach to help him with that.

Playing devils advocate, maybe a fresh start and an expanded role makes him more valuable at next years deadline should he not want to stay?

JTyler48

Jan 26, 2014
Wouldn't be the worse thing in the world to keep Stewart for the year... Good cap hit to production ratio to move toward the cap floor with for next year..

Looking at his production this year and the team he was on.

I'm not so sure he can duplicate that here with what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad