Speculation: Sabres at the trade deadline – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
Would anyone be opposed to Stewart for Ryan Callahan? We are going have to have some players to keep us at the cap floor. How far off in value is this? Is this something the Rangers would consider? I know that you could just try and sign Callahan as a UFA in the summer and it isn't wise to give up assets for this reason.

Wait til summer if you want him, no need to give up assets for a guy we can just sign.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
I'd be interested in asking for a lot for Stewart and Moulson because I wouldn't mind keeping them at all. If Ottawa wants Stewart, then I want Lazar. I'm willing to throw in some of our multitude of picks to get it done. If LA wants Moulson, I want Toffoli.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The more I am looking at it, I would not mind not only keeping Stewart but extending him for around his current salary... 4/17. The guy is only 26, we are extremely weak on the wing (and weak with wing prospects), he averages 25 goals per 82 games played and he is physical. He is struggling this year but look at his line mates and his ice time. He is only getting 14:42 per game and is still scoring at a 20 goal pace. Remember, along with Shattenkirk once upon a time Stewart was a major piece to acquire Erik Johnson.

I would not mind one bit to keep Stewart and extend him. If we do deal him, I would not take anything less then a 2015 1st. He is definitely worth it IMO. I think a Ennis-Hodgson-Stewart combo would be a pretty good top line for next year... All 3 guys are all young, skilled and are easily our 3 best forwards once Moulson is dealt.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Second this notion

The more I am looking at it, I would not mind not only keeping Stewart but extending him for around his current salary... 4/17. The guy is only 26, we are extremely weak on the wing (and weak with wing prospects), he averages 25 goals per 82 games played and he is physical. He is struggling this year but look at his line mates and his ice time. He is only getting 14:42 per game and is still scoring at a 20 goal pace. Remember, along with Shattenkirk once upon a time Stewart was a major piece to acquire Erik Johnson.

I would not mind one bit to keep Stewart and extend him. If we do deal him, I would not take anything less then a 2015 1st. He is definitely worth it IMO. I think a Ennis-Hodgson-Stewart combo would be a pretty good top line for next year... All 3 guys are all young, skilled and are easily our 3 best forwards once Moulson is dealt.

I second the notion of keeping Chris Stewart. He is capable of being a top-six forward, with impressive size and sandpaper. Yes, there are problems, still, with consistency. With Stewart in a Sabres uniform, Tim Murray can seriously consider moving Ville Leino.

Also, if Murray is willing to consider trading away Tyler Myers, #57 could bring the Sabres the legitimate number one center they've long sought, if you consider Ryan Nugent-Hopkins such.

Re-signing Matt Moulson this summer, would give the Sabres a legitimate goal scorer on the left wing.

Those three, Stewart, Moulson and Nugent-Hopkins, would certainly accelerate the rebuilding process.

ZeroPT*

Why keep Stewart? He's a locker room cancer and his past teams were relieved when he was dealt. If we're keeping anyone it's Moulson

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
I second the notion of keeping Chris Stewart. He is capable of being a top-six forward, with impressive size and sandpaper. Yes, there are problems, still, with consistency. With Stewart in a Sabres uniform, Tim Murray can seriously consider moving Ville Leino.

Also, if Murray is willing to consider trading away Tyler Myers, #57 could bring the Sabres the legitimate number one center they've long sought, if you consider Ryan Nugent-Hopkins such.

Re-signing Matt Moulson this summer, would give the Sabres a legitimate goal scorer on the left wing.

Those three, Stewart, Moulson and Nugent-Hopkins, would certainly accelerate the rebuilding process.

:amazed: If Murray can actually move him...

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY

No. Ville Leino is as untradeable as Girgensons for a totally different reason.

Buyout or bust.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think Stewart is a trading chip for this year's deadline (or next year's deadline if TM doesn't get a good deal this week).

Maybe Stewart and Stafford can have great contract year season's next year under Nolan and can get us 1st round picks.

Bob McKenzie felt that TM will flip Stewart to the Senators.

Karate Johnson*

I have no problem taking Stewart for a test drive. How was Stewart in Colorado? Was that under Sacco?

What little I know about him, he seems like he could use a little Ted Nolan in his life.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I have no problem taking Stewart for a test drive. How was Stewart in Colorado? Was that under Sacco?

What little I know about him, he seems like he could use a little Ted Nolan in his life.

Good call. Sacco coached him 2 years in Colorado. Sacco would have been a good reference to know whether he would be okay for the locker room.

I know that he is not an enforcer, but he can fight. Maybe he makes Scott expendable.

I would like to see Scott signed for one more year, but have a feeling TM thinks differently.

Edit: Stewart with the TKO against Kassian at the beginning of the season.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Stewart is interesting because of his size, scoring ability and that he is only 26. His deficiencies seem to be what Nolan excels at in bringing out of players.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
Good call. Sacco coached him 2 years in Colorado. Sacco would have been a good reference to know whether he would be okay for the locker room.

I know that he is not an enforcer, but he can fight. Maybe he makes Scott expendable.

I would like to see Scott signed for one more year, but have a feeling TM thinks differently.

Very questionable. By many accounts, Sacco was not good for the lockerroom himself.

While I don't view Stewart as a bad player, I don't see him as a long term piece to the puzzle.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
What is this referencing?
He has had that reputation for some time now.

When he was traded by the Avs, many were surprised given that he had just come off a breakout season and was producing just about as well during the season in which he was traded.
After the trade, here's what Elliot Friedman reported:
15. Colorado didn’t create a market for Chris Stewart before trading him to St. Louis, and teams were disappointed they didn’t get a chance at a strong, right-shooting scorer. Not long after the deal, I asked a member of the organization about letting him go. All he said was, “We have our reasons.†That was it. No further explanation, no shot at his character. Just that.

The original article (30 Thoughts) looks like it's gone now, but it was referenced here.
I recall there being additional details in the original article..

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

I watched this evolve. Sacco couldn't control Stewart and watched helplessly as Stewart took control of his gang of bullies. Divided the team, pretty much reduced Duchene to the point that he didn't want to play for the Avs anymore (Same Duchene who now owns a gold medal).

I watched Stewart coast up and down his wing more times than I can remember. If you thought Connelly and Vanek were floaters, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Nolan is perhaps the only guy who can change Stewart. I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It sounds like at least the Rangers and Sens have been sniffing around Stewart. The hope of what Stewart can be in the right system should entice teams to overpay for him. I think I'd be somewhat surprised if he's wearing a Buffalo Sabres jersey Thursday night in Tampa. I hope he can have a Bernier/Moulson first game with the Sabres in Dallas.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Bingo!

If there is a coach in the NHL who can find the right button to push to elicit a consistent effort from Chris Stewart, it's Ted Nolan. Let's see what kind of success Nolan can have with him for the rest of this season, and then decide this summer what do with him.

With his size and willingness, sometimes, to play physically, plus a top-six scoring ability, sometimes, Stewart is worth a test drive at least.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd be interested in asking for a lot for Stewart and Moulson because I wouldn't mind keeping them at all. If Ottawa wants Stewart, then I want Lazar. I'm willing to throw in some of our multitude of picks to get it done. If LA wants Moulson, I want Toffoli.

We aren't getting Lazar. He's the one player Bryan Murray mentioned by name that he was not trading. That probably means something.

I do wonder if we can get Toffoli. Lombardi can probably re-sign Moulson given the connection between Quick and Moulson. Lombardi has re-signed trade deadline acquisitions in the past (Regehr and Penner spring to mind), so his MO may be to acquire players he believes they can re-sign or will be on the team beyond the current season. The question is what we have to add to Moulson to get Toffoli. The Blues' 2015 1st? More?

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
I watched this evolve. Sacco couldn't control Stewart and watched helplessly as Stewart took control of his gang of bullies. Divided the team, pretty much reduced Duchene to the point that he didn't want to play for the Avs anymore (Same Duchene who now owns a gold medal).

I watched Stewart coast up and down his wing more times than I can remember. If you thought Connelly and Vanek were floaters, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Nolan is perhaps the only guy who can change Stewart. I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Are you referring to Wayne or Tim?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I want nothing to do with Stewart, let him be someone else's risky project.

Buffalo should be getting/keeping players that bring character to the team, not players that the team needs to instill character into.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Stewart sounds a lot like Stafford but with a little more fire. I can see them keeping him into next season. I mean, they do need players. I also hope they ride Ehrhoff and Myers a little deeper into those contracts. Maybe even re-sign Moulson.

Halak and Tallinder should be dumped for anything. Leino bought out, of course. Stafford is an interesting deadline possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad