Speculation: Sabres at the trade deadline – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

I'm trying to say we have a good, but not the best prospect pool, and the only reason it looks so good to us right now is because the current state of the team is a shambles. We have rose-colored forward looking glasses. We're in love with our future because our today is a dumpster fire.

Not complicated.

Who's prospect pool is better? Florida's top players have graduated from prospect status (Barkov,Bjugstad) at this point Tampa is the only team ahead of us and that's solely because of the player they drafted 3rd overall last year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
what? I legitimately don't understand what you're trying to say.

Zadorov,Ristolainen and McCabe are all WJC medalists and all stars. Ristolainen has played at the professional level for 3 years now, whilst Zadorov has a memorial cup appearance (will be going to a second one later)

Pysyk played in the WJC and memorial cup aswell. Myers is a calder trophy winner on top of all. I don't think there are any teams with a blue line as deep and as high quality as ours on the prospect/young NHLer level.

I actually agree. One thing that kinda alerted me to this was the disagreement on Girgensons future with the team, that really doesn't bode well for Devine.

Don't forget about the Quanity of Quality Mid-tier guys Like Compher, Hurley, Possler, Bailey in the forwards and goaltenders like Cal Petersen, and Ullmark

Honestly, the only things we are missing is the top end the future contending/present contenders have. We also have young kids like Grigorenko and Armia who can turn into something if THEY want to. Hopefully with this year and next years drafts fill the needs of the top end talent.

As for Girgensens, I think he is the type of player ALL teams need. I think of anybody Darcy drafted, I think Girgs is one player Murray may actually rather keep. Hopefully Murray doesn't have SUCH an ego that ALL players not brought in by him must go. If he does have this ego, I may have found something I don't like about the guy; but until that happens, then I will continue to be hopeful of the future.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Don't forget about the Quanity of Quality Mid-tier guys Like Compher, Hurley, Possler, Bailey in the forwards and goaltenders like Cal Petersen, and Ullmark

Honestly, the only things we are missing is the top end the future contending/present contenders have. We also have young kids like Grigorenko and Armia who can turn into something if THEY want to. Hopefully with this year and next years drafts fill the needs of the top end talent.

As for Girgensens, I think he is the type of player ALL teams need. I think of anybody Darcy drafted, I think Girgs is one player Murray may actually rather keep. Hopefully Murray doesn't have SUCH an ego that ALL players not brought in by him must go. If he does have this ego, I may have found something I don't like about the guy; but until that happens, then I will continue to be hopeful of the future.

I think its safe to say Murray likes Girgs. He along with Larsson are the two offensive prospects he has referenced on more than one occasion in a positive light. Whereas on defense there are several players he has mentioned liking.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think its safe to say Murray likes Girgs. He along with Larsson are the two offensive prospects he has referenced on more than one occasion in a positive light. Whereas on defense there are several players he has mentioned liking.

Thats what I figured, considering that both guys have good motors, high hockey IQ.

It doesn't mean he won't take calls if someone is inquiring about them, just it would take a larger package to lure them away than say someone like Armia.

Karate Johnson*

I would imagine all the guys he has specifically mentioned are part of the future. There may be plenty more guys Murray likes, including Hodgson, etc....

But unless there is audio of him mentioning guys by name it's impossible to know what he's thinking.... So I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

An example of Murray having a different vision.... Ott hasn't heard anything in regards to a contract. Everyone assumes we would make an attempt. Perhaps Murray isn't a Steve Ott guy?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would imagine all the guys he has specifically mentioned are part of the future. There may be plenty more guys Murray likes, including Hodgson, etc....

But unless there is audio of him mentioning guys by name it's impossible to know what he's thinking.... So I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

An example of Murray having a different vision.... Ott hasn't heard anything in regards to a contract. Everyone assumes we would make an attempt. Perhaps Murray isn't a Steve Ott guy?
I think thats more about the situation than about not being a Seve Ott guy. I think Murray has to do whats best for the team and with a rumored 10-12 teams interested in Ott, trading him makes the most sense.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm trying to say we have a good, but not the best prospect pool, and the only reason it looks so good to us right now is because the current state of the team is a shambles. We have rose-colored forward looking glasses. We're in love with our future because our today is a dumpster fire.

Not complicated.

No, that's not the only reason, nor is it the main reason. The main reason is simply because there is a great depth of potential NHL contributors. It's not the best pool, though, because it lacks a clear-cut star franchise player.

Last edited:

Karate Johnson*

I think thats more about the situation than about not being a Seve Ott guy. I think Murray has to do whats best for the team and with a rumored 10-12 teams interested in Ott, trading him makes the most sense.

That's probably mostly true. But if Ott is part of your plan going forward you try to retain him.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I get that, but many times its Sabres fans making the proposals and Im just left scratching my head. No one is a sure thing, so until that times comes we truly have a logjam, we should just keep them.

There will be opportunities to add quality forwards, just have to be patient.

Exactly...patience. Right now I'm in love with our current situation ...There is time to fill holes after we complete the 2015 draft.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
No one is getting pissy, I just dont understand the rush to trade the entire team when the future is uncertain. Im a realist, not a dreamer. I see and plan for whats now and decide the future when the future gets here and I see what it has layed out for me. I ask a few questions, state an opinion and if you take it to heart then so be it. I don't personally attack you, I debate by questioning someone else's opinion just as everyone does on a discussion board.

My original post said trading Hodgson could become an option in 2-3 years. That's what you've been responding to. How is that a rush or ignoring an uncertain future?

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Wish there was a way to get Frederik Andersen out of Anaheim. Goaltending in that organization seems pretty crowded and he'd be a solid young netminder to build around.

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Do the players get paid at the end of the month? If so won't teams wait until that pay has been sent out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad