Speculation: Sabres at the trade deadline – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Posted this on the main trade board.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Sabres should be sellers at the deadline. With the amount of pieces that get talked about being moved, they could see 4 or 5 trades.

Available:

Rentals:
Miller
Moulson
Ott
Tallinder
Sulzer

Available for the right deal:
Ehrhoff: $4 mil a year to 2021
Myers: $5.5 to 2019
Ennis: RFA after the season
Foligno: RFA after the Season

I have a feeling 3 out of the first group and 1 out of the second group will be moved. Most likely are Miller, Moulson and Tallinder.

Moulson = 1st and a good prospect

Miller = 1st and a good prospect

Tallinder = 2/3rd round pick

I also Believe the Sabres may take on salary in a trade seeing as it will be a challenge to hit the cap floor next year for them, if these trades are made.

So here are the Trade Ideas I have come to after reading the boards:

Miller to Washington for Erat, Neuvirth, Burakovsky, and Conditional 2nd 2015 (turns into 1st if Miller Resigns)

Moulson to LA for Pearson and Weal

Tallinder to Boston for a 2nd

Ott to Vancouver for 2015 1st and Alexandre Grenier

Sulzer to Anaheim for a 2014 4th

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Like I said on the main board, I don't see why Myers and Ehrhoff are listed. Myers isn't any more likely to get traded than all the guys you left off the list. The risk in trading Ehrhoff means there's probably no reasonable deal out there that would be worth it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Posted this on the main trade board.
I also Believe the Sabres may take on salary in a trade seeing as it will be a challenge to hit the cap floor next year for them, if these trades are made.
So here are the Trade Ideas I have come to after reading the boards:

Miller to Washington for Erat, Neuvirth, Burakovsky, and Conditional 2nd 2015 (turns into 1st if Miller Resigns)
Moulson to LA for Pearson and Weal
Tallinder to Boston for a 2nd
Ott to Vancouver for 2015 1st and Alexandre Grenier
Sulzer to Anaheim for a 2014 4th

I agree with most of what you say. Here is where I differ:

- I think Ott re-signs with the Sabres

- I think they will want a 2015 1st for Moulson in addition to a prospect

- Will anyone want Sulzer? Would need to dump him (or Szydlowski) under your scenario though, to stay under the contract limit of 50.

- I would want the pick for Miller to be a 1st (if I consider Erat a salary dump??)

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
St Louis has a team capaple of winning the cup. But they will go nowhere with the goalies they have now.
St Louis will trade for a goalie.
Somehow, if Miller is moved...I got St Louie.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No one has yet to answer why they include Ehrhoff in trade or buyout scenarios. The financial consequences are so overwhelmingly bad, it simply won't be considered or acted on by Murray. Ehrhoff is here to stay. Get used to it.

Myers isn't going anywhere except for a massive overpayment. He SEEMS to have found his game again and is one asset to build around thru this rebuild.

Ennis I could see being moved but for right return.

Foligno, same as Ennis. However I think they still view him as young and still developing and may have more patience with Foligno. So unless it's for an overpayment, Foligno is staying.

Out of all the UFA's I can see Ott and Tallinder re-signing. Everyone else being traded or walking for nothing.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
St Louis has a team capaple of winning the cup. But they will go nowhere with the goalies they have now.

St.Louis just makes so much sense. That team with Miller in the playoffs is downright terrifying. Obviously, anything can happen in the playoffs, but they would be my pick for the Cup.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Which is exactly what people said about Chicago/Crawford last year...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I can't help but think we'll be doing some major deals with Washington. How many times can the Caps get knocked out early with Ovi in his prime? If I see one team that should be desperate to add, it's them.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ehrhoff will retire a Sabre... totally unrealistic to have him as trade deadline asset.

Edit: I dont know why the Caps wouldnt go for Miller.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Obviously they COULD still win with Halak, but don't you think their odds increase with Miller in nets?

I don't think Miller will give them more than what Elliot is giving them.... 1.86/.925

I think they make the smart move to Elliot... who posted a 1.89/.919 in the playoffs last year.

Look, I want someone to pay us for Miller... and someone probably will (St Louis is a very good bet, they wanted him last year)... I just don't believe he will provide a significant difference.

St Louis has the 3rd best goals against in the NHL...
they surrender the least shots in the NHL...
They have the #3 PP and the #5 PK...
They are #2 in scoring, and #3 in goals against...

They can win with anyone in net...

Now, does adding Miller make them "feel" better about their chances... I'm SURE it would... and therefor I see them making the move....BUT...They can win with whomever they want in net... the difference in "ability" between who is in net... I don't believe will make much of a difference... it's negligible.

Their talent at forward and on the blueline, their depth at center and in scoring, their system and the style with which they play it... it's built to win... goaltender is along for the ride.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
St Louis has Hitchcock for a coach. You may have watched the game between St Louis and LA last night.
Hitch looked even more unhappy than usual.
Hitch will not tolerate the current goalie situation.
I believe they will make a move.
Will it be Miller....I don't know.
But they will make a move.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ehrhoff will retire a Sabre... totally unrealistic to have him as trade deadline asset.

Holtby has looked pretty promising for them, I believe? Caps fans seem happy with him.

EDIT: Looks like Brayden has hit a bit of a rut lately. I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to Caps hockey.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

I am a fan of the Hoff. However, due to the early retirement concerns, is it even remotely possible he is bought out? And if so, could he be bought out and then sign back with us?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Obviously they COULD still win with Halak, but don't you think their odds increase with Miller in nets?

StL has a great defensive system, so a goalie upgrade will only seem slightly significant during the regular season. But...

They keep losing to SJ, LA, and Van - teams they will have to beat in the playoffs, and probably by the slimmest of margins. So a slight upgrade in goal can ultimately be fairly significant in the playoffs against better competition. Halak gave everyone a reminder of that last night.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
StL has a great defensive system, so a goalie upgrade will only seem slightly significant during the regular season. But...

They keep losing to SJ, LA, and Van - teams they will have to beat in the playoffs, and probably by the slimmest of margins. So a slight upgrade in goal can ultimately be fairly significant in the playoffs against better competition. Halak gave everyone a reminder of that last night.

My thoughts exactly. I see Miller as a significant upgrade over Halak or Elliot in a 7 game series against any of the powerhouse Western Conference teams (SJ, CHI, LA, ANA).

KennyFnPowers*

St Louis fans seemed ready to chase Halak out of town last night after that bonehead play of the year candidate he pulled in the corner on the shorty.

Miller seems like a safe hedge w/ Elliott, Halak didn't help the matter any last night on national broadcast vs a team that always seems to beat them (seemingly because they have Quick in net).

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I don't think Miller will give them more than what Elliot is giving them.... 1.86/.925

I think they make the smart move to Elliot... who posted a 1.89/.919 in the playoffs last year.

Look, I want someone to pay us for Miller... and someone probably will (St Louis is a very good bet, they wanted him last year)... I just don't believe he will provide a significant difference.

St Louis has the 3rd best goals against in the NHL...
they surrender the least shots in the NHL...
They have the #3 PP and the #5 PK...
They are #2 in scoring, and #3 in goals against...

They can win with anyone in net...

Now, does adding Miller make them "feel" better about their chances... I'm SURE it would... and therefor I see them making the move....BUT...They can win with whomever they want in net... the difference in "ability" between who is in net... I don't believe will make much of a difference... it's negligible.

Their talent at forward and on the blueline, their depth at center and in scoring, their system and the style with which they play it... it's built to win... goaltender is along for the ride.

I think the goaltending position is not the most important one, when building a winning team.

I also agree that St.Louis can win even if their goaltending isn't on an elite level.

But I don't agree with the statement, that it doesn't matter who is standing there. There are better and worse goaltenders in the league, and the same goes with every position.

There's also a reason you keep referring to Elliot - not Halak. That is you think he is the better goalie right now (and so, you see differences between them). So if you agree that Miller is better than Elliot, then of course they increase their chances to win the cup by improving their goaltending. Is that improvement worth the price? Maybe not, but it still is an improvement.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think the goaltending position is not the most important one, when building a winning team.

I also agree that St.Louis can win even if their goaltending isn't on an elite level.

But I don't agree with the statement, that it doesn't matter who is standing there. There are better and worse goaltenders in the league, and the same goes with every position.

There's also a reason you keep referring to Elliot - not Halak. That is you think he is the better goalie right now (and so, you see differences between them). So if you agree that Miller is better than Elliot, then of course they increase their chances to win the cup by improving their goaltending. Is that improvement worth the price? Maybe not, but it still is an improvement.

What you are referring to as a difference in talent... i see as a difference in performance (in a given year).

Miller is playing better than Halak THIS YEAR... in 11/12 Halak played significantly better...

I think goaltenders are fickle... which is why I would never sign one to a big long term contract. Lundqvist is the only guy who consistently puts together top quality seasons.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
St Louis fans seemed ready to chase Halak out of town last night after that bonehead play of the year candidate he pulled in the corner on the shorty.

Miller seems like a safe hedge w/ Elliott, Halak didn't help the matter any last night on national broadcast vs a team that always seems to beat them (seemingly because they have Quick in net).

Plenty have been ready to do that for weeks. Last night may as well have been kerosine on the fire :laugh:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I am a fan of the Hoff. However, due to the early retirement concerns, is it even remotely possible he is bought out? And if so, could he be bought out and then sign back with us?
Only way I see him being bought out is if he absolutely does not want to play in Buffalo anymore. As of right now he is a strong asset to the defence corps as a leader to the young defencemen who may look to him for guidance. Also as of right now hes a defender who can log alot of minutes and quaterback the powerplay which adds more value to him on this team. For him retiring early thats all on him and if he still enjoys playing the game, unfortunately Im not a mind reader where I am in position to say.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I think the goaltending position has gone from who can win/steal you a game like it was in the heyday of Hasek, Cujo, Roy, Brodeur in the dead puck era where your margin for error was so small...to who will NOT COST you a game at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad