Post-Game Talk (GBU): Sabres at Blackhawks GDT (7 PM ET)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think they tried hard coaching with Jack & Jack didn't respond positively after Legwand left. Seemed like it got worse when Gionta & Gorges left but changed after Jack took over RORs responsibilities. Now Jack & Skinner take turns doing the one man team gimmick.

Sam, idk. After this many years, just don't see Sam moving to center. Maybe Murray & Nolan crushed that part of him that believed he could play center. Maybe Bylsma & Housley did, some combination of them. Or the organization is doing damage control, putting Sam with Jack to downplay passing on Drai. Sam was *we can't mess up this pick or the rebuild is screwed* then sent back to juniors.

Rather see Zemgus get a shot as 2C ahead of Mitts or Sam at this point. He does possession grinding well enough to compliment Skinner, fetches pucks in the corners and can take a beating rushing the net.

Disagree the last 3 years were wasted, it was the last 2 years of Jack's ELC that were wasted. Evander & ROR were always placeholders for Sam & prospect winger (maybe Nylander, maybe Zemgus, someone cheap without arbitration concerns), thats why ROR contract was front loaded. Botts came in and took a season to assess the team & year 2 started very strong with Housley as coach because of Skinner. I can't hold it against Botts that he gave Housley time to attempt a turn around.

Not sure this season is being wasted either, Ralph has only been coach for a quarter season and trying to break the bad habits players developed, giving them time to decide if they want to be coached or if they are content to miss the playoffs again. With 20+ UFA/RFA guys under contract, it is purely on players character now.

I have no idea what evidence you saw of Jack being disciplined or strictly coached on learning how to be an nhl center, but I may have forgotten something.

Sam, both under Bylsma and Housley was never given the opportunity to play the role. It doesn't have anything to do with whether they beat him out of being a center.

This year isn't over, maybe they figure it out and the defense gets it together and they become defensively solid. But it looks pretty bleak unless Botts is going to make a big trade.

It's a waste because these were all years that Cap was not a real block to success. Its a waste to have Dahlin's elc be over with them not being a playoff team, maybe next year. Its a waste to have put Reinhart on a bridge and use that cap space for nothing.

The future isn't confusing, even 1980 who is a botts super fan agrees there cap will be extremely snug next year. And then Dahlin will get paid.

I guess you could say its on the players character, but that assumes so many facts to be a reasonable point.

1. It assumes that the players actually have the talent, if they try their hardest, to be good nhlers, thats a big assumption.
2. It assumes that Krueger is s good coach. He might be, but we don't really know.

Waiting for the ten game hot streak, that the gm admitted was unsustainable at the time was not the problem. Keeping him after a significant drop in points, play and success in year one, was a joke.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
First one he just gets beat. Second he's unaware. Both are **** plays but I don't think either is lack of effort. Lack of effort last night was Sheary on the Toews goal. He could have easily been back to cover Toewes but soon as he saw the turnover he said **** it and just let the play go without him.

If you ever listened to Topher's podcast, you would know that one of the things that he and his cousin talk about all the time is that one of the things that takes no talent whatsoever that helps the team is shoulder checking.

Eichel was lazy and didn't shoulder check on that second goal.

That is effort. That is the small details of the game that separate excellent two-way guys from offense only guys.

Two way guys win games.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad