Post-Game Talk (GBU): Sabres at Blackhawks GDT (7 PM ET)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
there was no core here by the time Pat came into the picture. Miller was the only piece here.
True, but there was a core when Pegula purchased the team. Things would have turned out a lot differently if Pegula had hired an experienced hockey executive when he bought the team.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I think about that for a lot of our players.

I think about Eichel getting the hard coaching he needs, Reinhart getting pushed into center with vets, Mitts and Girgs getting the development they need, Dahlin getting a truly decent veteran partner to help teach him and give balance.

The part that pisses me off the most about this team, is that there has never been a need to waste the last three years.
I think they tried hard coaching with Jack & Jack didn't respond positively after Legwand left. Seemed like it got worse when Gionta & Gorges left but changed after Jack took over RORs responsibilities. Now Jack & Skinner take turns doing the one man team gimmick.

Sam, idk. After this many years, just don't see Sam moving to center. Maybe Murray & Nolan crushed that part of him that believed he could play center. Maybe Bylsma & Housley did, some combination of them. Or the organization is doing damage control, putting Sam with Jack to downplay passing on Drai. Sam was *we can't mess up this pick or the rebuild is screwed* then sent back to juniors.

Rather see Zemgus get a shot as 2C ahead of Mitts or Sam at this point. He does possession grinding well enough to compliment Skinner, fetches pucks in the corners and can take a beating rushing the net.

Disagree the last 3 years were wasted, it was the last 2 years of Jack's ELC that were wasted. Evander & ROR were always placeholders for Sam & prospect winger (maybe Nylander, maybe Zemgus, someone cheap without arbitration concerns), thats why ROR contract was front loaded. Botts came in and took a season to assess the team & year 2 started very strong with Housley as coach because of Skinner. I can't hold it against Botts that he gave Housley time to attempt a turn around.

Not sure this season is being wasted either, Ralph has only been coach for a quarter season and trying to break the bad habits players developed, giving them time to decide if they want to be coached or if they are content to miss the playoffs again. With 20+ UFA/RFA guys under contract, it is purely on players character now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
True, but there was a core when Pegula purchased the team. Things would have turned out a lot differently if Pegula had hired an experienced hockey executive when he bought the team.

wholeheartedly agree.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Holy crap, I just watched the highlights. How is Jack letting an 18 year old embarrass him on that second Dach goal. I mean, he has the ability to eliminate the girst goal too, but whatever.

That second goal against would get a high school player benched.

Top to bottom, where is a single sign that culture has mattered or improved in the slightest?

Who it was doesn’t really matter. He simply lost track of a player, and that resulted in a goal against. Bad play obviously, but they happen. Last night’s game aside, Eichel has played pretty good defense this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who it was doesn’t really matter. He simply lost track of a player, and that resulted in a goal against. Bad play obviously, but they happen. Last night’s game aside, Eichel has played pretty good defense this year.

I would say he’s been better, but “good” is not exactly the word that I would describe it. Passable most of the time? Okay? Not horrible? Mediocre? Sure. Good though? Not so much.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I would say he’s been better, but “good” is not exactly the word that I would describe it. Passable most of the time? Okay? Not horrible? Mediocre? Sure. Good though? Not so much.

Fair enough. I see his positioning overall much better, I also see him back checking much more enthusiastically and frequently this year. Obviously, he can still improve.

Saying that, it would be nice if others on the team were under the same microscope. I’ve seen many a missed assignment with nary a mention of the offender on this board.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Is Murray being rehabilitated? Or is there just a little push back on the idea that he ruined the team beyond valiant Botts effort?

In retrospect Murray made a bunch of dumb moves, particularly timing wise. They just were not franchise crippling moves. In the cap world, its pretty difficult to cripple a franchise.

Botts certainly is taking a run at it tho with his savvy contract signings.

Murray made a lot of boneheaded mistakes but at least there were a few players sprinkled in that were hard to play against. Botts build so far is soft.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Wow. That's what I call lazy skating..... And NOT setting an example.

Eichel HAS to be the hardest working player on this team. We've all seen those types of players... Heck, folks here are giving kudos to Asplund right now for being one.

I'm guessing that this work ethic does not come naturally to Jack. No matter. His team needs him to develop the discipline necessary irrespective of his personality or pre-formed work habits.

We live in an excuse accepting society these days...... Doesn't work in hockey when you are the Captain and highest paid player on the team.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fair enough. I see his positioning overall much better, I also see him back checking much more enthusiastically and frequently this year. Obviously, he can still improve.

Saying that, it would be nice if others on the team were under the same microscope. I’ve seen many a missed assignment with nary a mention of the offender on this board.

Feel free to point it out. Plenty of players catch plenty of shit when they do boneheaded things.

And Jack is the captain and highest paid player. He hast to engage all the time. Line changes? Hustle. Face-offs? Zone exits? Finding your man on a back shack? He hast to do all of those things all of the time. That’s the expectation.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Feel free to point it out. Plenty of players catch plenty of **** when they do boneheaded things.

And Jack is the captain and highest paid player. He hast to engage all the time. Line changes? Hustle. Face-offs? Zone exits? Finding your man on a back shack? He hast to do all of those things all of the time. That’s the expectation.

First, we both know that on this board certain players are called more than others for mistakes. That’s always been the case. Not sure why you’re getting bent out of shape about that.

Second, Eichel should get more scrutiny, as he is the highest paid player on the team, and the captain. Especially after last night’s game on his defensive play. Where did I say otherwise? Though that play was more about not being aware then anything else. Still not good enough.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
First, we both know that on this board certain players are called more than others for mistakes. That’s always been the case. Not sure why you’re getting bent out of shape about that.

Second, Eichel should get more scrutiny, as he is the highest paid player on the team, and the captain. Especially after last night’s game on his defensive play. Where did I say otherwise? Though that play was more about not being aware then anything else. Still not good enough.

First off, I’m not bent out of shape. My point remains that if you see a player blow coverage or not being engaged and cost the team goals against…Point it out. And your second point that he is going to get criticism because of who he is is valid. Is the highest paid player on the team. He needs to play like it.

Last edited:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Feel free to point it out. Plenty of players catch plenty of **** when they do boneheaded things.

I agree on the expectations. Was at the game last night. We can expect that from Jack, and he may deliver some day. But it won't make a difference. This team is incredibly pedestrian. Erod, Vesey, Lazar, McCabe, Mitts, Scandella Risto Oloffson Sheary are simply not good enough. Toews got inside of Jack's sweater all night and there was no one to pick up the slack. Conversely, looking at the Hawks beyond Toews, Kane Keith, their core, they have competent NHLers through out the lineup Saad Debrincat Strome Shaw, along with kids Murphy Dach Kubalik Nylander growing in the same way the core did. There was little comparison except that their defense is worse than ours with respect to giveaways up the middle.

Skinner has got something going on with him. He was chirping Erod alot last night and not in a friendly way. Sam is over thinking everything and is seldom anticipating the play like he usually does. Dahlin was fine for a 19 yo sophomore but he too is overthinking everything. And that time to think instead of instinctively reacting is getting him caught in no man's land. Risto track on that goal was typical Risto. Not a lack of effort, not a lack of want just a lack of grey matter. He will not change.

Being there live and being able to see things away from the puck and focus on the flow, two things are obvious:
1) the system is built around the rush. Come out en mass gain the zone run a set play. When they scramble in their zone and finally do get it out, there is no sense of push to create an advantage. They often dump it no one or attack 1 on 3 because no one wants to join the rush and be out of p[position.

2) the semi physical game the played against Ottawa disappears when they face skill. And it shouldn't. They had numerous opportunities to finish checks on Kane, Dach, Saad, Toews etc. and they didn't. They were intimidated. Kane is still a superstar but he has lost a few mph off the fast ball and can be contained with physical play. They don't.

I felt the 2nd Dach goal was inexcusable. And there should be accountability. But if this team continues with Vesey, Sheary Vlad Lazar et al. It won't matter. The message will be accountability only goes so far up the chain. Those with any desire to be part of a winning organization will look to get out. The rest will be happy to collect a check and have spring and summer off.

On a bright note, Asplund will be a good option next year when they retool LOG. He is smart and does so many little things intelligently.

Sorry for the rant but I was demoralized leaving the UC last night.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
They often dump it no one or attack 1 on 3 because no one wants to join the rush and be out of p[position.

This is the biggest problem to me It's like they are being actively coached to play their position, and only their position. I'm tired of seeing a DMan make a good read and join the play only to see then peel off immediately when they dont get the puck, and they generally lose possession right after.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
We are what we thought they were. The players are bad, pretty clear it's not coaching.

It's both. The coaching and their inaction to change things, even for a spark, doesn't do the team favors either.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

First one he just gets beat. Second he's unaware. Both are shit plays but I don't think either is lack of effort. Lack of effort last night was Sheary on the Toews goal. He could have easily been back to cover Toewes but soon as he saw the turnover he said f*** it and just let the play go without him.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Coaches and GM's are rated relative to the one that precede and follow them. When change is made due to failure, blame is cast on the previous regime. If failure continues there's a reassessment of the apportionment of blame. Or as one of my friends who has season tickets said, "Murray and Bylsma weren't so bad after all".
What does your friend think of Regier / Nolan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad