#Sabres announce the team will officially retire the jersey of Dominik Hasek

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
First goalie to hit under 2.00 GAA Since expansion. Wasted his career in Buffalo.

That sentiment - which I pretty much agree with - is why I have no animosity for his forcing the trade to Detroit. The Sabres were never going to surround him with the talent needed to win the Cup. Look no further than Michael Peca

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
As a Habs' fan, I really hated Hasek. His peak didn't last as long as Brodeur or Roy, but at his best, he was the best goalie I've ever seen play.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Against Detroit? Really?

Well, let's see: he won both of his Stanley Cups there, and spent more time there than he did with any team save Buffalo. I think it was very classy of the organization to choose Detroit as the opponent for that game, and it's not unusual in any event for the opponent to be selected specifically; for example, Forsberg's jersey retirement game was played against Detroit, and Lidstrom's was played against Colorado.

As a Habs' fan, I really hated Hasek. His peak didn't last as long as Brodeur or Roy, but at his best, he was the best goalie I've ever seen play.

They had a longer peak because the Cold War kept him from the NHL until his late 20s. And unlike the two of them, he continued to be effective into his 40s.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Well, let's see: he won both of his Stanley Cups there, and spent more time there than he did with any team save Buffalo. I think it was very classy of the organization to choose Detroit as the opponent for that game, and it's not unusual in any event for the opponent to be selected specifically; for example, Forsberg's jersey retirement game was played against Detroit, and Lidstrom's was played against Colorado.

They had a longer peak because the Cold War kept him from the NHL until his late 20s. And unlike the two of them, he continued to be effective into his 40s.

I agree with both of those comments. Very classy move by Buffalo.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Rhett Warrener is on a morning radio show in Calgary, and had a funny Hasek story to tell the other day. I thought it was funny anyway. He talks about Buffalo quite regularly on the show. Although when it's brought up that a former teammate of his is getting his number retired, Warrener guess Jay McKee.

The link is here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/ . Go to October 21, and it's in the 8AM podcast, starting at 31:00.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

We'll make a special announcement about our 1/13 game during the 1st intermission on MSG this Thursday - make sure you tune in!

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Everyone in attendence is getting a Hasek retirement banner - a small/replica version of what is going up in the rafters.

Howard WGR @hsimon62 - This is what fans will receive on Tuesday at the Hasek jersey retirement ceremony.

https://twitter.com/hsimon62/status/552819246346956800/photo/1

Note - If anyone wants tickets to the game - I'll be willing to sell my two tickets for $30 apiece.

Last edited:

Custer99

Jan 6, 2012

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloSabres - Every fan attending our game on Tuesday, January 13 will receive a Hasek Mini Banner Handout! #BUFvsCAR
https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/553353417834237952/photo/1

@BuffaloSabres - Front & Back - The Hasek Mini Banner presented by @firstniagara that all fans attending our game Tuesday will receive -
https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/553355501988499456/photo/1

@BuffaloSabres - For fans attending the game on Tuesday, January 13, please be in your seats by 6:45 for a special pre-game ceremony.
@BuffaloSabres - Limited-Edition autographed Hasek items will be available for purchase on 1/13 to benefit @HaseksHeroes39
http://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2015/01/08/sabres-to-retire-haseks-jersey-jan-13-2/

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

#39 Hasek plaque has been installed outside the #Sabres locker room. Banner raising tomorrow. (@SamKorotkin)

B7K_82rCcAAVuwy.jpg

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Gratz Buffalo fans. He was without a question one of the top 3 all time to play his position (I won't say the best because pre mask goaltenders are to hard to compare to modern tenders but he is without question in that discussion).

Also a classy move by Buffalo to do this when the wings are in town will be great to see before the game. Hopefully he motivates our young tender to push for greatness as well (Petr Mrazek is his countryman).

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I have NHL Gamecenter, and wonder if they will show the banner raising before the game starts? I'm assuming that's when it will happen, but GC has a habit of not showing the feed until a couple minutes before the face off.

I would imagine the ceremony would take 10 mins or so, what do you think the chances of MSG showing it through GC are?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I have NHL Gamecenter, and wonder if they will show the banner raising before the game starts? I'm assuming that's when it will happen, but GC has a habit of not showing the feed until a couple minutes before the face off. I would imagine the ceremony would take 10 mins or so, what do you think the chances of MSG showing it through GC are?

Sabres want everyone to be in their seats for 6:45 pm ET so thats probably when the ceremony will start.
Of course ceremonies never start on time.
As for how long it will last - well we know it won't be the 90 minute ceremony that the Ducks did for Selanne.
But hopefully it lasts a good 20 minutes. He deserves at least that length.
As for it being on GameCenter - would be nice if they start MSGs coverage with the ceremony.
(I don't have GameCenter so I'm not an expert as to if they start their coverage early for special occassions)
If not, you may want to switch over to NHL Network here in the United States.
They showed Selannes ceremony - would be nice if they showed Haseks as well.
Also would be cool if the Sabres showed Haseks ceremony LIVE on their website.
If they don't they will for sure have video of it on their website sometime during the game or at the very least after the game ends.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
what's the big surprise they talked about?

See post #87 - everyone who is attending the game is getting a mini replica banner.
Front is the actual banner that is being raised - Back is a list of stats/honors that Hasek earned while playing with the Sabres.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I loved Hasek as a kid/teen during his days as a Sabre. But I have lost much of my respect for Hasek.

Guess all is forgiven when he told the hockey world "I will always be a Red Wing" and how he wants to go in the hall of fame as a Red Wing. Greatest goalie ever and one of the biggest *******s too. And also him dictating who we could and could not get back from Detroit in a trade infuriated me. We held all the cards and we caved in so we could get Slava Kozlov and a pick that was used to trade up for Danny Paille! Woohoo!

In the pre 05 cba era with no cap and UFA age being 31 a signed Hasek even at 37 years of age was worth a kings ransom. Ridiculous that we didn't get either Datsyuk or Zetterberg in a deal. And if not one of those two then Niklas Kronwall (the wings top prospect and most recent 1st rounder at the time of the trade) along with multiple 1sts. 30th pick and Kozlov who was a joke was a horrendous trade for us. I would rather have seen the Sabres call his bluff and refuse to trade him.

Not only did that come as a shocker to the Buffalo sports media, but Hasek's revelation that he called Sabres GM an hour before the midnight deadline on Saturday saying that he would reject a trade if they demanded too much of the Wings. He told Regier bluntly to lower his demands for more talented Wings in exchange for him, or he would nix the deal completely. Also, there was a more lucrative deal in the works, and Hasek said no to that deal. It is possible that the more attractive deal for the Sabres was with the St. Louis Blues. Hasek wanted Detroit all the way.

Hasek held a contractual gun to Regier's head with his demands and insistence that the Sabres did not weaken the Wings too much, as he wanted the best team possible to surround him in his last quest at the prize that has been eluding him since he began his NHL career.

Hasek described how he would not jepordize the Wings chances of winning the Stanley Cup next year by allowing Regier and the Sabres getting some high quality players from Detroit.

"I told him (Regier), "No, no, no - he was asking for too much,' and I said, "I won't go to Detroit if you ask for too many players,'" insisted Hasek. "I told him, "I need every good player on this team.'"

When someone asked Hasek if he was concerned that the Sabres would get an elite player in exchange for him, Hasek replied, "Of course, and I would never let him do it."

Yeah Hasek can take his banner and shove it. He is a grade a piece of crap. I'm glad the Wings kicked him to the curb when he had to go to the Sens and then was only a backup to Osgood his second go around. If it meant not getting Kozlov and Paille (oh no those 2 were studs :rolleyes: ) I would have loved if Hasek never won a cup.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

I was totally hoping it was a bad ass throw back to the GOAT jerseys or something

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I loved Hasek as a kid/teen during his days as a Sabre. But I have lost much of my respect for Hasek.

Guess all is forgiven when he told the hockey world "I will always be a Red Wing" and how he wants to go in the hall of fame as a Red Wing. Greatest goalie ever and one of the biggest *******s too. And also him dictating who we could and could not get back from Detroit in a trade infuriated me. We held all the cards and we caved in so we could get Slava Kozlov and a pick that was used to trade up for Danny Paille! Woohoo!

In the pre 05 cba era with no cap and UFA age being 31 a signed Hasek even at 37 years of age was worth a kings ransom. Ridiculous that we didn't get either Datsyuk or Zetterberg in a deal. And if not one of those two then Niklas Kronwall (the wings top prospect and most recent 1st rounder at the time of the trade) along with multiple 1sts. 30th pick and Kozlov who was a joke was a horrendous trade for us. I would rather have seen the Sabres call his bluff and refuse to trade him.

Not only did that come as a shocker to the Buffalo sports media, but Hasek's revelation that he called Sabres GM an hour before the midnight deadline on Saturday saying that he would reject a trade if they demanded too much of the Wings. He told Regier bluntly to lower his demands for more talented Wings in exchange for him, or he would nix the deal completely. Also, there was a more lucrative deal in the works, and Hasek said no to that deal. It is possible that the more attractive deal for the Sabres was with the St. Louis Blues. Hasek wanted Detroit all the way.

Hasek held a contractual gun to Regier's head with his demands and insistence that the Sabres did not weaken the Wings too much, as he wanted the best team possible to surround him in his last quest at the prize that has been eluding him since he began his NHL career.

Hasek described how he would not jepordize the Wings chances of winning the Stanley Cup next year by allowing Regier and the Sabres getting some high quality players from Detroit.

"I told him (Regier), "No, no, no - he was asking for too much,' and I said, "I won't go to Detroit if you ask for too many players,'" insisted Hasek. "I told him, "I need every good player on this team.'"

When someone asked Hasek if he was concerned that the Sabres would get an elite player in exchange for him, Hasek replied, "Of course, and I would never let him do it."

Yeah Hasek can take his banner and shove it. He is a grade a piece of crap. I'm glad the Wings kicked him to the curb when he had to go to the Sens and then was only a backup to Osgood his second go around. If it meant not getting Kozlov and Paille (oh no those 2 were studs :rolleyes: ) I would have loved if Hasek never won a cup.

Do you think everyone doesn't already know about the trade? Also, players don't go into the Hockey Hall of Fame tied to one team anyhow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad