#Sabres announce the team will officially retire the jersey of Dominik Hasek

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I want the mini banner still. I have a few mini banners for my wall collection :laugh: but I was hoping for a GOAT jersey style or something. We would probably have a chance to win if Dominik was playing :laugh:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Do you think everyone doesn't already know about the trade? Also, players don't go into the Hockey Hall of Fame tied to one team anyhow.

Ok, does it matter if everyone already knows? Thats not the point. The point is is that Hasek was selfish and totally screwed the franchise over for 3 years because of his demands. There was zero benefit to the Hasek trade. Kozlov was an ******* who bad mouthed the team the city and the fans. Paille is nothing special and all we got for him was a mid round pick anyway. The fact that Hasek got to dictate what team AND what players we got in return is quite frankly insane. Not to mention the Blues would have given us a much better return as it is. I'm not willing to just sweep it under the rug and welcome him back with open arms. What he did was a slap in the face to the organization that gave him his chance and made him the player he was. Until we traded for him he would have toiled in Chicago for years. And the way he quit on Kasparaitius' goal in 01 was pathetic. I can't believe that was the last goal he ever allowed, a weak shot from the point that any ECHL caliber goalie should have easily stopped.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ok, does it matter if everyone already knows? Thats not the point. The point is is that Hasek was selfish and totally screwed the franchise over for 3 years because of his demands. There was zero benefit to the Hasek trade. Kozlov was an ******* who bad mouthed the team the city and the fans. Paille is nothing special and all we got for him was a mid round pick anyway. The fact that Hasek got to dictate what team AND what players we got in return is quite frankly insane. Not to mention the Blues would have given us a much better return as it is. I'm not willing to just sweep it under the rug and welcome him back with open arms. What he did was a slap in the face to the organization that gave him his chance and made him the player he was. Until we traded for him he would have toiled in Chicago for years. And the way he quit on Kasparaitius' goal in 01 was pathetic. I can't believe that was the last goal he ever allowed, a weak shot from the point that any ECHL caliber goalie should have easily stopped.

Life is too short to hold such petty grudges.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011

don't cry because it's over smile because it happened

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
But on a more serious level, remember what happened with Michael Peca, the Captain of the club. They were willing to let their best skater sit out at a HUGE detriment to Club so I can't blame Hasek for playing hardball with them.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
While some enjoy toiling in anger, hatred, dramatics, and self pity, over the Hasek saga, I like remembering all the amazing memories he gave this franchise. :dunno:

Congrats to Hasek. One of the best goalies EVER and he played for my hometown team. That's .... Pretty cool.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
There's a bunch of mini banners on eBay already.

Anyways, it was really wonderful to see dom and see that banner. I finally feel like I know how significant those are, since dom is really the player who inspired my love of the game. Last night was truly special.

That said, I agree with Harrington that a little something was lacking from the ceremony. A little stilted. Just like, let someone come on the ice first and introduce the man of the hour, have a few people on the ice with him making sure the ceremony goes off, so there's not like this stilted moment when he finishes his remarks and doesn't know when the PA guy is going to come on. Little stuff they could have done better. Play a fresh video. Maybe bring out his family. Have terry down there to shake his hand.

I would have liked all that. They have probably 25 years before the next such ceremony (unless they do something incredibly stupid) so I know it's not like you can take lessons learned from this. By the time were retiring Sam Reinharts number well probably all be holograms.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
And the way he quit on Kasparaitius' goal in 01 was pathetic. I can't believe that was the last goal he ever allowed, a weak shot from the point that any ECHL caliber goalie should have easily stopped.

Your version of history kinda stinks.

Great ceremony, I don't care what Harringtroll thinks. Fans were happy, Hasek seemed happy, was nice.

(Except for the toolbox near us and some of the things he was yelling when Dom was speaking. Thankfully he was tossed in the 2nd period.)

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005

The move was selfish and he wasn't without his quirks. I was also psised for a ling time after he left, but I get it. The Sabres never would have done what was necessary to give him a chance to win the cup. Is he a jerk for doing everything in his power to put himself in a position to achieve a carreer milestone? Or was ownership and management responsible for squandering the opportunity to use one of the best goaltenders in history to win the cup?

Now, your second point tells me that replying is simply a series of wsated keystrokes. Watch the replay of that goal. It's a bad goal, but it's not like he just stood there and let it go in. He gets into position and goes by his glove. It happens to all goalies. And he just trucks off of the ice.

Now I'm not in his head, and I can't say with certainty that he didn't allow a goal, but why would he? What would be the purpose of doing that? What would be gained? Keeping in mind that this is a guy that we're mad at because he was doing everything in his power to be in a position to win the cup... Why does he beat the Flyers and then take it to 7 games against the Pens only to intentionally throw it away in OT? It just doesn't make any logical sense at all.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Your version of history kinda stinks.

Great ceremony, I don't care what Harringtroll thinks. Fans were happy, Hasek seemed happy, was nice.

(Except for the toolbox near us and some of the things he was yelling when Dom was speaking. Thankfully he was tossed in the 2nd period.)

I'm happy, because it was Hasek and because it happened.... but I'm going to utter a phrase for the first (and hopefully the last) time... I agree with Harrington.

Haseks speach was great, but the whole thing really felt thrown together and abrupt. I would have like to have seen a better video and it would have been cool to see some of the teamates from the 99 cup team out there.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The move was selfish and he wasn't without his quirks. I was also psised for a ling time after he left, but I get it. The Sabres never would have done what was necessary to give him a chance to win the cup. Is he a jerk for doing everything in his power to put himself in a position to achieve a carreer milestone? Or was ownership and management responsible for squandering the opportunity to use one of the best goaltenders in history to win the cup?

It's more this than anything else.

Think back to the bigger picture at the time. Adelphia owned the Sabres at that time. From the middle of 1999 through the end of 2001, the Rigas family was actively playing financial games with Adelphia's books to hide $2B+ in debt. They weren't going to pay anybody anything; they didn't have the money. They had just forced Peca to sit for the year over his deal, and certainly weren't going to pay Hasek the $9M option he had.

I don't begrudge Hasek one bit for not wanting to stay here. It was less than a year after he was traded that Adelphia finally admitted what they were doing, filed bankruptcy, and Sabres were taken over by the league. I was an Adelphia employee through all this, and the conditions for us sucked. You couldn't order a stack of notepads without one of the Rigas' signatures, and that extended to everything. Annual raises took 3+ months to process, and it was obvious that there were money problems even before it went public. From the people I knew in the Sabres offices at the time, it was the same situation over there.

No way Hasek would have had a remote chance of winning anything here. Will never blame him a bit for wanting out.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
HONORING THE DOMINATOR
Hasek's No. 39 retired in pregame ceremony Tuesday night

By Chris Ryndak - Sabres.com

20150113-Hasek-Banner-01.jpg

The first jersey number Dominik Hasek ever chose now hangs in the rafters of First Niagara Center among the banners honoring six other Buffalo Sabres legends.

Hasek’s iconic No. 39 was retired in a ceremony prior to the Sabres game Tuesday night against the Detroit Red Wings. The Hall of Fame goaltender joins Gilbert Perreault, Richard Martin, Rene Robert, Tim Horton, Danny Gare and Pat LaFontaine as those who have been so recognized by the franchise.

MORE HASEK COVERAGE ON SABRES.COM
Jersey Retirement Ceremony
Tuesday’s Pregame Press Conference
Beyond Blue & Gold: Dominik Hasek
Irbe, Neuvirth and Enroth on Dom
Highlight Reel
Feature: Hockey Hall of Fame Induction
Hasek Infographic

tgroch

Jan 6, 2015
Can someone pleeeeeaase give me a mini banner? For money!

I have a mini banner I'm willing to trade you. Or if someone else can help me out - I'm happy to give jBuds the banner.

I'm desperately looking for tickets from two Nov. 2014 games - vs. Leafs & - vs. Penguins, 300 level. (long story) So if anyone will give me the actual tickets, or even a scan of them, I'm happy to give my mini banner away

Thanks!

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
My wife's coworker emailed Ted Black about his disappointment with the ceremony in case anyone is interested. I didn't take any issue with the length of it, but I guess some people did. This was his reply.

Ted Black on the ceremony:

Date: January 14, 2015 at 9:48:09 AM EST
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: your email

Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for taking the time to email. With regard to your questions/concerns regarding the jersey ceremony, I offer the following: First and foremost, Dom did not want an elaborate or lengthy ceremony. That was his wish. He said that as a player he sat through very long ceremonies and it was frustrating and he did not want that. Secondly, we wanted to schedule the event after Dom’s HHOF induction and on a night when we were playing the Red Wings, which turned out to be a weekday (which, unlike a weekend, tends to limit the ability for elaborate, lengthy events anyway because fans have a hard time getting to the arena so early on a work day). We also wanted the event to take place within the game telecast window so that fans like you could watch on TV live. In order to do that and have RJ participate and call the game, RJ provided his remarks from the booth on the PA. Moreover, RJ is still recovering from his recent cancer treatments so that rushing around the arena is a bit difficult. The other factor is the NHL strongly discourages ceremonies immediately prior to puck drop to last more than 15 minutes. Dom was thrilled with the event and the timing – which included bringing in several dozen friends and former teammates who all had a reunion dinner together on Monday night. The Pegula’s hosted Dom in their suite and later at a post-game party at 716. As a further aside, Dom learned that he has a HUGE fan in Rex Ryan. Rex was a goalie as a young kid.

I regret that the ceremony did not please you.

Best regards, TNB

Theodore N. Black

President

Buffalo Sabres

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I thought the mini banners were pretty decent. Nice material and a good foot+ tall.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
Thanks for the clarification from Ted. That's good to know.

As Dom said repeatedly in interviews, he found playing goal much less stressful than giving speeches.

There's a front row audience video of the whole ceremony up on YT now where you really get the crowd vibe / reactions ... :nod:

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
My wife's coworker emailed Ted Black about his disappointment with the ceremony in case anyone is interested. I didn't take any issue with the length of it, but I guess some people did. This was his reply.

Ted Black on the ceremony:

Also, I thought the mini banners were pretty decent. Nice material and a good foot+ tall.

Clearly, Rob Blake did not have the same reservations as Dom did when it came to the grandness of his ceremony.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Have no problem with what Ted Black said.... all makes sense.

I still think it could of been better.

Don't think it told his greatness (videos)

Sound bites were just the same from the Sabres induction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad