Confirmed with Link: Sabres Acquire Rights to Jimmy Vesey Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I remember Murray saying that Jakubowski has a lot role regarding contract negotiations. Sure, Murray has the final word, but I think you can take in to account at least somewhat the time before Murray.

That being said I really don't remember there ever being a word of Sabres lowballing their players or having bad blood related to contract talks.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Does Vesey really want to sign to a cap-ish team so that he can be traded to Winnipeg or Columbus in 2 years?

Has this angle been discussed?

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Does Vesey really want to sign to a cap-ish team so that he can be traded to Winnipeg or Columbus in 2 years?

I remember his agent saying that the salary/cap structure of teams' is also a factor they will take into account with other factors.

But it hasn't been talked that much.

We sure will have Eichel and Reinhart expiring their contracts at the same year Vesey will have. And we don't know about the contracts of Girgs and Risto. But we pretty clearly will have more than enough cap space to extend Vesey, if he truly is able to establish himself as a legit core piece during the next two years.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Kid's has the whole summer off and his dad is a NHL scout.

I'm quite certain ALL angles have been discussed.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
I think he's probably had a first choice since spring 2015, but assuming he's really unsure, I'd imagine our cap situation gives him pause. He'll be the low man on the totem pole here for his next contract. Eichel and Reinhart will be getting paid that summer.

You can say the same thing for pretty much any other team that he would consider signing with. He's going to want to play for a team that will best position him for his UFA contract. That means either an already established winner or a team on the verge of breaking out. In either case, cap space is either already tied up or is destined to be in a few seasons. At least in the later case you have the opportunity to compete for the bigger share.

Ultimately though I don't think cap space factors in that highly for him since he can always jump teams when he does his UFA. I suppose the cap space of his then current team might somewhat effect his negotiating leverage.

ende

Dec 12, 2005

If he's traded in 2 years, it would be as a rental on the verge of hitting unrestricted free agency. If anything that situation would improve his chances of being traded to a playoff contender and give him a final stretch of games to sell himself.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I have a feeling the Vesey Camp has been tight lipped and not giving much info, so everyone is speculating, and then they simply aren't denying it, so all of a sudden that speculation is confirmed and reported as such.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

But it hasn't been talked that much.

We sure will have Eichel and Reinhart expiring their contracts at the same year Vesey will have. And we don't know about the contracts of Girgs and Risto. But we pretty clearly will have more than enough cap space to extend Vesey, if he truly is able to establish himself as a legit core piece during the next two years.

I have talked about this as to why it would be dumb to sign in Chicago. If Panarin signs a high contract in 2017 then Chicago will have very little cap room yo red th Veset snd then trade him somewhere for assets if he is successful.

In 2017 they have $15M plus increase in cap Space with 12 roster spots. If they pay Panarin at around $4M that leaves them $11M for 11 spots. In 2028 there isn't major salary coming off so they will still have around $12.5M plus what ever the cap raises over the two years for 13 roster spots.

In buffalo in 2018 things could be tight agInst the cap unless they could have Moulson retire or be traded and Ennis be traded. Those two getting moved opens up almost $29M in cap space. If you think buffalo will be near the cap after Girgs and Risto are signed. Buffalo would have about $15M in contracts coming off ( figure Kulikov is resigned) by 2028 but much of that money would go to Reinhart and Eichel. So cap increase and maybe $3M would be available to resign Vesey and other RFAs. Moving Moulson and/or Ennis gives them more space.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
The latest quotes from Vesey's agency:
“What Jimmy wants to do is see it through,†said Fish. “He’s wanted to go to free agency and he’s going to see it through. There’s about 4-5 teams other than Buffalo that he wants to hear from. And then after that he’s going to make a decision. I think he’d love for the Bruins to be one of those teams. I assume that we will be taking a call from them.

“We’ve looked at depth charts with some teams and talked about them. . . . “There’s obviously a lot of thought that goes into it: The city, the coach, the GM, the salary structure, how a team treats their players in the second and third contracts down the road.â€

Fish said Vesey has handled the situation well, but is looking forward to putting the decision behind him.

“Jimmy’s been pretty quiet and calm about all this,†said Fish. “I think he’s looking forward to getting this over with so he can get on with his NHL career.â€
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...and_harvard_star_is_narrowing_list_for_monday

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Wouldn't that be tampering?

Only if the dad was acting as an "official agent" of the Leafs.

Good luck proving that a kid talking to his dad is official action.

No I was just saying that his dad understands what is important to look for in teams and how they treat their players.

I'm certain nearly every scenario has gone over and over again between his family and his agent. I'm willing to bet his father is probably the one pushing him to free agency more than anything. It's a rare thing to be able to pick where you play, some players career doesn't go long enough where they ever have that chance. Vesey has that chance now, it'd be silly not to take a look. I still think Buffalo going out there and being the first one he talked to will carry some weight.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I've been beating that drum on the Bruins board regarding Chicago for a month. For someone like Vesey, who's made it this far to choose his destination, I don't see why he'd sign with a team that has a bad track record recently with RFA's being able to retain them. And that's before signing Paranin after this upcoming season.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I've been beating that drum on the Bruins board regarding Chicago for a month. For someone like Vesey, who's made it this far to choose his destination, I don't see why he'd sign with a team that has a bad track record recently with RFA's being able to retain them. And that's before signing Paranin after this upcoming season.

Yup, I agree. Chicago's got a recent track record of winning going for it, but if he's actually looking ahead to 2nd-3rd contracts like he says he is, he has to know he's not getting one from Chicago. They won't have the room for him. He'll be traded to a team of Chicago's choosing.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
By Vesey!!

In the 15th I expect him to be signed within the first few hours he becomes a FA .
I have to believe he had his mind set all along.
I think he will be a Bryon monday.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
In the 15th I expect him to be signed within the first few hours he becomes a FA .
I have to believe he had his mind set all along.
I think he will be a Bryon monday.

Names changes take a bit longer, so I expect he'll have to work way past August 15.

But Byron Vesey doesn't sound that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad