Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Jordan Samuels-Thomas (signed 7/12 to 1yr ELC)

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
He transferred schools to be closer to home in the middle of his college career (he's from West Hartford, Connecticut) so it's long been speculated he did not want to be so far from home by signing with Winnipeg then possibly playing in St. John's. I am not sure how far that is from Buffalo or Rochester but it's a hell of a lot closer than Winnipeg or St. John's haha.

It's a good 8-10 hour drive from West Hartford to Rochester or Buffalo if he goes and plays there. I'm from East Hartford (other side of the Connecticut river) and have made a few trips to Rochester and/or Buffalo. Or a quick puddle jumper flight from Hartford to Buffalo. Either way, not exactly an "I can come home every weekend and eat mom's cooking if I want to" distance. But it is a weekend trip distance to drive...like, "Drive up on Friday, watch him play a game on Saturday, drive home Sunday" sort of thing. So I guess there's that.

BGFalconHawks

Apr 2, 2013
Grayslake, IL
Saw this guy play many games in the ECAC vs. Union and other teams over the past few years. He didn't really progress a ton the past season like I thought he might. He is physically capable of being dominant on the boards and behind the net, and often is. Plays with an edge. His skating is just average. Likes to hold the puck and look for the shot himself. He cheats coming out of his zone a lot, looking for the long pass, but he's perfectly capable of carrying it up the ice himself. I think he probably maxes out as a mid-line AHL guy, but with potential for a little more, the trade makes sense.

Sounds like playing for Quinnipiac didn't change his playing style from BG, he won't play defense and was viewed as a lazy/no effort player in general which is why he was healthy scratch for a bad BGSU team on multiple occasions. But beneath the dots he is a beast, eveywhere else is pretty average at best.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Pick is practically a 6th. Terrible trade.
You do realize that even most 6th round picks never make it to the NHL?

A lot of them don't even make it in minor pro leagues.

This guy looks like a decent to above average AHLer and a serviceable depth guy, which is pretty good value for a 7th round pick.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Jordan Samuels-Thomas? He's probably Latvian.

His assistant coach at Quinnipiac?
JH4_9144_ad_hoc.jpg

Bill Riga.
As a Latvian, I can confirm that he'd never be accepted as a Latvian due to the fact that there's not enough s's in his name. It's Jordans.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hey watch it there buddy...

Jonathan Tyler Thomas ?

Sorry.

I like the trade. A Rochester body and a guy who you take a chance on a few years deeper into his development in comparison to whatever the pick we give up ends up being.

tehinternet

Jul 6, 2012
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 4m

TRADE ALERT: The #Sabres have acquired LW Jordan Samuels-Thomas from @NHLJets for a conditional 7th-round pick in 2015 #NHLDraft.

If not signed by 8/15, he will become a UFA.

I speculate that the condition was that if he signs with BUF/ROC before becoming a UFA, Winnipeg will get that 7th round pick, but if he doesn't sign before becoming a UFA Buffalo gives up nothing.

Just my guess mind you... If my guess is correct, Buffalo has little to lose here.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

This guy looks like a decent to above average AHLer and a serviceable depth guy, which is pretty good value for a 7th round pick.

I think the sarcasm sailed right over your head.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think the sarcasm sailed right over your head.

Truth is.... I'm glad to sign JST for an almost-6th rounder than Omark for a dozen more games for an almost-5th rounder (Christopher Brown).

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I'm familiar with this kid, but never really paid him much mind other than the wacky hair. But I have always expected acquisitions like this from Murray. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a target list of players not hugely coveted by other teams he thinks have potential. Most/all GMs probably do, but I always figured he'd be more aggressive in his pursuit given his background and player knowledge, with a payment like this (conditional 7th rounder) right up his alley.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
College coach on Sabres prospect Jordan Samuels-Thomas: ‘He’s got high-end potential’
Bill Hoppe - Olean Times Herald

At 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, new Sabres prospect Jordan Samuels-Thomas possesses a chiseled body ready for the pro game.

“He’s a man,†Rand Pecknold, Samuels’ coach at Quinnipiac University, said by phone this morning. “He’s as good of an athlete and (in) as good a physical shape as anyone in Buffalo’s organization. He’s phenomenal.â€

That imposing frame will help the 24-year-old winger, who compiled 50 goals and 104 points over four NCAA seasons, at the next level.

“He’s got high-end potential,†Pecknold said. “I think his main strength is his ability to protect the puck down low, which is what the NHL is becoming. A lot of the hockey is the down low play, which is what makes him so intriguing.

ZeroPT*

sarcasm detector broken?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
So it'd be a 1 year ELC because he's 24, right?
Yeah, per CapGeek:
Players younger than 25 as of Sept. 15 in the calendar year their first NHL contract is signed are subject to the terms of Article 9 of the CBA and must sign an entry-level contract (ELC). This means the amount of salary and team-paid performance bonuses is capped, depending on his draft year or the year he signs. The length of the ELC is also specified based on the player's age.
AGE LENGTH
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25+ No Restriction *
* A one-year entry-level restriction applies to drafted players from Europe aged 25 to 27.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Since some of you don't do the Twitter thing:

Jordan SamuelsThomas @SamuelsThomas19 6h
At the airport destination @BuffaloSabres Dev. Camp. Feel extremely blessed to have been traded to such a first class organization! #Sabres

Jordan SamuelsThomas @SamuelsThomas19 2h
It didn't take long for someone to ask if I was a new @buffalobills .Needless to say it was akward when I reached for my sticks. #Sabres

Bps21*

To be fair for a really really long time all of our players were about 5'9. It may be more of a size thing lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad