Confirmed with Link: Sabres Acquire D Jack Dougherty for F Nicholas Baptiste

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
so an 11/12D for a 16/17F, both have been passed by within their organizations, worth a flyer. Good luck to Nic, good kid.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
That's a great infographic Moskau. It's pretty clearly a systemic problem that needs to be addressed badly if we ever want to turn into Tampa Bay or Nashville.

We just don't hit on draft picks outside of the first 2 rounds.

Things are encouraging with the likes of Pekar, Laaksonen, Borgen, Olofsson, etc.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/your-top-30-sabres-2014-draft-board.1692247/

22 Jack Dougherty D (HS-MN) R 6' 1" 185
Note: Size is alright, but the key here is first pass. He has a good one. The one of unheralded strengths of the Chicago defense is the first pass.

Yeah, I wasn't as good of a note taker back in 2014.

Edit: Also, called Ehlers. (Flopped on Dal Colle)
Oh boy, that thread.

I was stupid high on Bennett. I remember not loving Dal Colle, but still put him 6th? Also had Cornel in my top 30. Yikes

At least I hit on Ehlers, Fabbri, and Point. Still waiting to see Goldobin or Sherbak show something.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Baptiste was given plenty of time and opportunities to make this team. As bad as we have been over the last 5 years. Even when we were tanking for McDavid or Eichel.
He just never ceased the moment.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Baptiste was given plenty of time and opportunities to make this team. As bad as we have been over the last 5 years. Even when we were tanking for McDavid or Eichel.
He just never ceased the moment.
very true. I had some hope as a 2/3 line tweener. Has the speed, has the shot, but something never clicked.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I always liked Baptiste and hoped he would put it all together. This seems like a good change of scenery trade for both players and teams and a fair deal. I assume Housley must like this kid.

I'm still confused about players passing through waivers unclaimed and then getting traded right away (Baptiste, Carrick, etc.) Anyone get this?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I always liked Baptiste and hoped he would put it all together. This seems like a good change of scenery trade for both players and teams and a fair deal. I assume Housley must like this kid.

I'm still confused about players passing through waivers unclaimed and then getting traded right away (Baptiste, Carrick, etc.) Anyone get this?
It only makes sense to claim a player if you're going to keep him in the NHL. If you waive him for demotion to the AHL, his original team can just snatch him back. No team wanted to put either player right on their NHL squad.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It only makes sense to claim a player if you're going to keep him in the NHL. If you waive him for demotion to the AHL, his original team can just snatch him back. No team wanted to put either player right on their NHL squad.

So true. Nashville probably thinks they can mould Baptiste into an energy 4th line guy who can fly and play a checking role. They also realize he’s going to need to be developed into that in the minors within their organization.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Dougherty never progressed and got passed by younger D prospects like Girard, Carrier and Allard. He was never going to get a shot here. Good change of scenery trade but I doubt he ever sees NHL ice

Hello from Nashville. This sounds like a shake up trade for both players. Dougherty has never really grabbed any attention and has just been a 'meh' prospect to date. He could certainly be a late bloomer but I think overall he had been passed up by a fair amount of lower/more recent draft picks. Obviously your staff know him very well and thought he was worth getting in for a change of scenery.

What are we getting?
Fourth line NHL scoring type/top six AHLer with good straight-line speed and decent hands. The organization kept him in the AHL over the past few seasons for the sake of development, viewing him as a top-six-or-bust-project, so he hasn't really had the opportunity to play depth roles despite being physically ready (and the team having absolutely dire scoring depth). If your team has that definitely terrible player your coach still plays, he's probably an upgrade.

That being said, Nashville is a tough destination for him because you have a jillion generic-but-solid bottom six forwards, bury your fourth line, and have no reason to give him the time to get his sea legs on that second scoring unit. He also doesn't have the defensive chops or offensive consistency to play with Bonino (although maybe if this deal lights a fire under his ass you have yourself a Hagelin type).

Ahh but Carrick!!! How could Botts miss out on him?!?
I'm not really sure how this depth shuffle - which, mind you, is even befuddling the guy who was pro sending Guhle/Pilut down for a spell - addresses Casey Nelson starting the season.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
It's a bad deal for Amerks fans. Baptiste was productive. I thought Botterill wanted a winner in the AHL.
It’s a very bad deal for the Amerks on paper. Unless they’re going to flip another veteran on defense for a forward, this makes the Amerks worse. Not a good deal.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Probably anticipating Pilut and Guhle getting their respective callups sooner rather than later.

EDIT: Maybe some of our NHL defensive depth (Beaulieu, Tennyson) get moved for AHL piece(s) at forward? One can hope, right?

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
yeah I don’t like this trade. Another Canadien out, another American in. I’m not shocked. Baptiste will be a productive player for Nashville. In terms of depth, we are actually much thinner at forward. I guess Baptiste was a AHL vet...idk.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Preds fan here-

Honestly surprised we got something for Dougherty, I thought his trajectory was already pointed towards bust in a major way.

He's played 144 games in the AHL, and in that time he's been terrible offensively, with a total of 8 primary points. He was also pretty bad defensively last season, with a -10.2 GF%.
4 or 5 other prospect d-men were ahead of him in the depth-chart at this point as well. Maybe he'll do better with a change of scenery.

It seems like you guys really love your Minnesota-born players these days.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Not sure what Nashville's contract situation is, but there's a 50-contract organizational limit. Sometimes you have to move a contract out in order to be able to move a contract in.

Carrick never made it to waivers. According to TSN Toronto announced they were going to put him on waivers, but they traded him before he appeared on the waiver list.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That's a great infographic Moskau. It's pretty clearly a systemic problem that needs to be addressed badly if we ever want to turn into Tampa Bay or Nashville.

WT...:facepalm:

How many 3rd round or laterdrafted players been impact players?

Buffalo has done a very good job drafting nhl players 3rd round or later when compared to other teams.

If you can draft a player who gets to 200 nhl games is a good draft pick. You don’t count on drafting too 6/too 4 players 3rd round or later.

When you draft so many high picks the 3rd round and later picked players end up lost in the system because the high picks get more chances.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Given the trades of Baptiste and Fasching, I'm not sure that Justin Bailey should be purchasing real estate in WNY.
Despite the fact that he might get traded, real estate is still a good investment. Never too early to start thinking about life after hockey.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
He wasn't cracking the Sabres lineup, so it would have been a disservice to both him and the organization to keep him buried I'm Rochester. It was time to move on.
Yeah, sometimes a trade is also about trying to give a guy an opportunity to advance his career, too.

Like when Tim Murray promised Luke Adam that he would try to find him an opportunity elsewhere if he was passed on the depth chart by other players.

That could be partly the case here. Baptiste was passed on the depth chart by numerous players.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Implying we've hit on any of our 2nd round draft picks... I'm not so sure we're hit anything outside of the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad