Confirmed with Link: Sabres Acquire D Jack Dougherty for F Nicholas Baptiste

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
This trade just screams to me that we can expect a few defensman get moved out of the system soon, Botts must be stocking the cupboard before he clears out 3 or 4 others.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
That's a great infographic Moskau. It's pretty clearly a systemic problem that needs to be addressed badly if we ever want to turn into Tampa Bay or Nashville.

We just don't hit on draft picks outside of the first 2 rounds.

I tried bringing this up over the summer and people (of course) mistook it and claimed a 7th rounder who makes it to the 4th line for 12 games is hitting on that pick. (I'm exaggerating but you get the idea)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm not really sure how this depth shuffle - which, mind you, is even befuddling the guy who was pro sending Guhle/Pilut down for a spell - addresses Casey Nelson starting the season.

Yeah but Connor F'n Carrick was gonna come swooping into Buffalo with his cape on and solve the 3rd pairing issue... Different poo isn't better poo.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
yeah I don’t like this trade. Another Canadien out, another American in. I’m not shocked. Baptiste will be a productive player for Nashville. In terms of depth, we are actually much thinner at forward. I guess Baptiste was a AHL vet...idk.
Botterill likes what the NCAA and the US development model have done over major junior. I think I even remember reading that USA hockey went over to Sweden and studied the model, though I can't find anything to support that on the net.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Dougherty looks like the type who wont ever be more then an AHL All Star caliber player. I would have preferred to see Baptiste play in Rochester then make this trade.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I was in Baptiste's corner since he was drafted. I like what I saw and had strong expectations. I think he will still be an effective 4th liner if not a decent 3rd liner. Sad to see him go, but at this point its not a huge loss.

I haven't seen Jack Dougherty play and what I've read isn't very encouraging.

A look on the bright side:
-Still only 22 at a position that sometimes takes longer to develop.
-Former second round pick.
-Had 52 pts in 68 WHL games.
-Would have just finished college last season had he stayed in school.
-He is a RHD which are needed in our system and valuable across the league.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
So what happens with the surplus in d men in Rochester?
Does anybody know the situation?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Implying we've hit on any of our 2nd round draft picks... I'm not so sure we're hit anything outside of the first.

I hope you aren’t only counting guys who made it to the NHL as “hitting”. It’s not exactly commonplace or the norm for a player (outside the 1st round) to ever become an NHL regular. And even 1st rounders, the odds are not in their favor after you get past top 10.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Dougherty looks like the type who wont ever be more then an AHL All Star caliber player. I would have preferred to see Baptiste play in Rochester then make this trade.

Baptiste looks like he won't ever be more than an AHL All Star caliber player

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We just traded a Chevy Vega for a Ford Pinto
...And we're still looking for an AMC Gremlin...

Hello from Nashville. This sounds like a shake up trade for both players. Dougherty has never really grabbed any attention and has just been a 'meh' prospect to date. He could certainly be a late bloomer but I think overall he had been passed up by a fair amount of lower/more recent draft picks. Obviously your staff know him very well and thought he was worth getting in for a change of scenery.

What are we getting?
At the NHL level, another "meh" player of a different color (no pun intended). At the AHL level, someone who can contribute immediately & consistently.

How's his speed
He has outstanding speed.
As others noted, he has great speed, especially north-south, with and without the puck, which is something the Sabres org. lacks, (which is perhaps the biggest negative view from the BUF optics - they gave from a position of weakness).

Baptiste was given plenty of time and opportunities to make this team. As bad as we have been over the last 5 years. Even when we were tanking for McDavid or Eichel.
He just never ceased the moment.
One might say he never seized his moment with Buffalo, but, with this trade, has definitely ceased his moment with Buffalo.

Best of luck to him. Personally, I always liked his attitude, and never felt he was infected by losing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't seem like he had a great season, so he's another pending RFA who I wonder at if they extend a QO on June 1st. He was not playing late in the year and even though he's only one of three right hand shots in the minors at the moment, it seems highly likely that Redmond and Borgen would be ahead of him on the depth chart.

So... qualified and retained or do they let him walk?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Didn't seem like he had a great season, so he's another pending RFA who I wonder at if they extend a QO on June 1st. He was not playing late in the year and even though he's only one of three right hand shots in the minors at the moment, it seems highly likely that Redmond and Borgen would be ahead of him on the depth chart.

He slowed a bit but he looked like a solid stay at home guy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

I imagine they qualify him. I don't think Will Borgen will be a full time Amerks player next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I imagine they qualify him. I don't think Will Borgen will be a full time Amerks player next season.

If he is back, I'm curious if he or Hickey can move from AHL mid-pairing (or less) up to the 8/9 roles. It would be nice if they got a hit on someone who surprises for a change.

Reactions: Digable5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad