Prospect Info: Ryker Evans ( Round 2, 35 overall)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The thing that excites me about Evans is not just the fact that he leads the team in scoring but he also leads the team in +/- (with a good margin). Also, is 3rd in the team in PIM's. Seems like a good 2-way D-man. Bedard has had a slow start to the season but that has not stopped Evans from producing.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The thing that excites me about Evans is not just the fact that he leads the team in scoring but he also leads the team in +/- (with a good margin). Also, is 3rd in the team in PIM's. Seems like a good 2-way D-man. Bedard has had a slow start to the season but that has not stopped Evans from producing.

He leads the team in assists and points. He only has 4 goals. Bedard leads team in goals.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Evans is the guy I’m post stoked about. I worry about Beniers game translating to the NHL, not a lot, but enough to state so. Evans on the other hand I think will end up far better than people expect.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Evans is the guy I’m post stoked about. I worry about Beniers game translating to the NHL, not a lot, but enough to state so. Evans on the other hand I think will end up far better than people expect.
Really? What about Beniers game worries you? I see him as being a 50-60 point elite 2-way 2C in the NHL. He starts on the 3rd line as a winger or C in his first season and moves up pretty quick.

I am definitely excited about Evans as well. Generally when I see D-men getting points the way Evans does I worry about the defensive side of their game but he seems to be very responsible (based on stats) in his own end.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Really? What about Beniers game worries you? I see him as being a 50-60 point elite 2-way 2C in the NHL. He starts on the 3rd line as a winger or C in his first season and moves up pretty quick.

I am definitely excited about Evans as well. Generally when I see D-men getting points the way Evans does I worry about the defensive side of their game but he seems to be very responsible (based on stats) in his own end.

the quality of players around him worries me. There is so much quality on that Michigan squad, I’d prefer to see him playing with lower quality players to make a good judgment on the guy. He’s good, but is surrounded by top 10 picks. It’s hard to be bad when everybody is good.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
the quality of players around him worries me. There is so much quality on that Michigan squad, I’d prefer to see him playing with lower quality players to make a good judgment on the guy. He’s good, but is surrounded by top 10 picks. It’s hard to be bad when everybody is good.
True. But you could say that about Power, Johnson and the rest of the Michigan players too. Infact, the type of game Beniers has translates pretty good to the NHL. The question with him is going to be his upside.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
True. But you could say that about Power, Johnson and the rest of the Michigan players too. Infact, the type of game Beniers has translates pretty good to the NHL. The question with him is going to be his upside.

And I would say the same about any of those Michigan players. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it though.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I take your point but competing with better players can probably help a player develop his skills more thoroughly than playing with weaker players. You have to keep improving to keep up with your cohorts, which he seems to be doing.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There was a graphic last night on the broadcast that stated that Evans is the second leading scoring defenseman in the WHL currently. That's a very promising sign and good news.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
For sure, that can really skew a boxscore based scouting report.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For sure, that can really skew a boxscore based scouting report.
It depends on what is being looked at. If all he is being judged for is the PPG then being on a loaded roster can definitely skew the perception. However, Beniers best traits are his defensive acumen and motor. Also, comes down to what people are expecting from him. I expect more of a Bergeron-lite than a Crosby or McDavid.

Another thought I want to add is that some players actually play better with higher quality players. This is not to say that they coast with poor quality teammates but just that the team's overall play goes up with better quality teammates.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It depends on what is being looked at. If all he is being judged for is the PPG then being on a loaded roster can definitely skew the perception. However, Beniers best traits are his defensive acumen and motor. Also, comes down to what people are expecting from him. I expect more of a Bergeron-lite than a Crosby or McDavid.

Another thought I want to add is that some players actually play better with higher quality players. This is not to say that they coast with poor quality teammates but just that the team's overall play goes up with better quality teammates.

But in the context of the competition, it might not seem like he's playing with better players (even though he is... but is he REALLY? I mean 4 of the top 7 draft picks on the same team playing much poorer competition than they will face for the remainder of their careers. I don't deny that Beniers has potential, but with the pandemic messing things up in the last couple years development, I'm not sold on ANYBODY yet.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

We'll have to agree to disagree. If someone thinks they can truly scout a player based on a line of numbers ... well, good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad