Prospect Info: Ryker Evans ( Round 2, 35 overall)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
From part of his Elite Prospects scouting report:
“Physical, proactive, and mirrored footwork, completely eliminating Peyton Krebs from the
game several times,” Brown wrote in an April game report. “If he can do that to a plus-level NHL
skater already, the future’s promising.”

I actually feel more positive about this pick. Still a reach but he could end up being a good PMD (#4-5), with limited offense and strong defensively. His biggest issues are lack of high-end offense and above-average skating.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’m positive there is another GM out there that’s disappointed Seattle took Evans so early because they were banking on getting a promising player late in the draft. Looking at those analytics, dude looks quite promising. It’s a second round pick, there’s what, a 15-20% chance of him playing in the NHL? So not a huge deal if he doesn’t pan out.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Kid is good. One of the only bright spots (besides Berard) on the regina pats last year. People saying his stats are padded because of berard must not watch WHL hockey.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Kid is good. One of the only bright spots (besides Berard) on the regina pats last year. People saying his stats are padded because of berard must not watch WHL hockey.
I actually don't watch the OHL. But I did mention that he played with Bedard this year and that may have inflated his stats.

Good to know if it didn't. We would welcome more input/thoughts from you on Ryker.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure if it mattered in the decision but since he's already 19 and turns 20 before December 31st this year, he's eligible to play in the AHL right away.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I sure hope that didn't impact their decision to pick him. Can fill the AHL with waived players or even league-minimum FA's.

You also get the kid closer to the NHL though. If he can hold his own in the AHL at a young age that bodes well for him going forward. With no cupboard to pull from this kid will be closer than picking some kid from the USHL who'll spend the next 3 - 4 years in college.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
I actually don't watch the OHL. But I did mention that he played with Bedard this year and that may have inflated his stats.

Good to know if it didn't. We would welcome more input/thoughts from you on Ryker.

his shot needs work. Has the accuracy, just needs more power. Has a smaller frame but that’s not too much of a worry. Moves the puck very well, but his transition game is what stood out. He moves out of his own end very fast. Either by smooth passes or by carrying the puck.

he might be an overager but he does not have a lot of junior experience. But it doesn’t show in his game.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
GM RF just came on NHL network to talk about the draft and said that he understands people see Ryker as a surprise but his top scouts had seen him live and really like him, for what that is worth.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This is my first cousin. He’s worked his ass off to get where he’s at. Went undrafted last year, only made him work harder to be drafted this year, and he didn’t disappoint.

I think the Kraken was the best case scenario for him. He has a legitimate opportunity to be in the NHL if he continues to have the work ethic that he has. In today’s NHL, you need more of a two way defender that can play on both ends of the ice.

I wish nothing but Ryker the best. My family is pretty proud of him. It’s a dream come true for Ryker.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is my first cousin. He’s worked his ass off to get where he’s at. Went undrafted last year, only made him work harder to be drafted this year, and he didn’t disappoint.

I think the Kraken was the best case scenario for him. He has a legitimate opportunity to be in the NHL if he continues to have the work ethic that he has. In today’s NHL, you need more of a two way defender that can play on both ends of the ice.

I wish nothing but Ryker the best. My family is pretty proud of him. It’s a dream come true for Ryker.
Good to know and thanks for the feedback.

He definitely seems like a more modern type of D-man. Get the puck out quick and get the offense going. Excited to see him progress towards the NHL.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Good start to the season for Ryker so far. Leading the Pats in points with 6 through 4 games. 3 other players are tied with 4 points (including Connor Bedard). Ryker is also tied for the +/- lead at 2 as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad