Prospect Info: Ryan Winterton (Round 3, 67 overall)

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

I couldn't watch the game myself yesterday so I'm not sure if anything else happened during the game but it looks like Winterton possibly injured or aggravated a shoulder injury while celebrating this goal? I'm not sure of his status regarding the remainder of the series.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Oh man. Injury from a celebration is bad stuff.
We should probably change this narrative to "being injured from being crosschecked to the ice while celebrating"

Injured from celebrating makes him sound super frail and doesn't really tell the story. Besides, it just sounds terrible :laugh:

Hope it is not serious.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton gets the OHL title now faces so now they face edmonton, st johns (host), and Shawinigan for the memorial cup.

Basically the format is they play each other 3 games each. Winner goes directly to final with 2nd and 3rd place play semi final and if there's tie between 3rd and 4th place then 3rd and 4th place play a tie breaker game. The tie breaker winner goes on to play 2nd place and the winter of the semi final plays first place team.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Hamilton gets the OHL title now faces so now they face edmonton, st johns (host), and Shawinigan for the memorial cup.

Basically the format is they play each other 3 games each. Winner goes directly to final with 2nd and 3rd place play semi final and if there's tie between 3rd and 4th place then 3rd and 4th place play a tie breaker game. The tie breaker winner goes on to play 2nd place and the winter of the semi final plays first place team.
Back when I used to have NHL network, I’d always watch the memorial cup. I miss that, but not for $240 a year to upgrade my package (no, not that package ya sickos). I usually cheer for the WHL winner (unless it’s the T-Birds, since I’m a Winterhawks fan), but this year I think I want to see Hamilton pull it off and Winterton dominate. Bring it!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Kraken won't sign Winterton to an ELC this offseason and want to keep him for another year in juniors.

Probably a good idea since he didn't even play the full season, thanks to his injury, and should benefit from playing another full season of junior hockey before deciding on signing him to that ELC.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
He would have to play another year of junior anyway, refusing to sign him this summer just increases the chance he refuses to sign with Seattle by next summer and elects to go back into the draft. Probably won't happen but that's why you sign these guys to their ELCs, so the team has the control and the contract slides a year down anyway.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He would have to play another year of junior anyway, refusing to sign him this summer just increases the chance he refuses to sign with Seattle by next summer and elects to go back into the draft. Probably won't happen but that's why you sign these guys to their ELCs, so the team has the control and the contract slides a year down anyway.
I don't think it matters that much. If anything, Winterton probably realizes that the organization took a chance on him given how much time he missed in his draft season.

Also, like others pointed out, he could certainly use more development time.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Kraken won't sign Winterton to an ELC this offseason and want to keep him for another year in juniors.

Probably a good idea since he didn't even play the full season, thanks to his injury, and should benefit from playing another full season of junior hockey before deciding on signing him to that ELC.

He isn't eligable for the AHL yet.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara

Can’t they sign him and send him to juniors still?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

Great season from Winterton. Hopefully he can take the summer to recover health wise and come back next season as a leader in Hamilton. He may need to, the Bulldogs will lose a lot of their current roster this offseason.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I think Winterton has primarily played on the Wing. He could be great with either Wright and Beniers if he does end up making to the NHL.
I expect Winterton to shift back to centre for the Bulldogs next season and he is going to have to take on more of a leadership role to go with it. If McTavish hadn't be acquired Winterton likely would've played much less of this past season as a winger but also, maybe his shoulder was never 100% this year and the shift to wing was a result of that.

Reactions: Greggo56

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad