Prospect Info: Ryan Winterton (Round 3, 67 overall)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Markham, Ontario’s Ryan Winterton was selected by the Hamilton Bulldogs in the first round, eighth overall, at the 2019 OHL Priority Selection Draft. Winterton scored 12 goals and 11 assists for 23 points in 53 games as an OHL Rookie. He also played for Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Winterton picked up three assists in five tournament games. Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, Winterton was not able to build on those numbers this season. With the OHL season never getting started, Winterton was limited to playing for Team Canada at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships as his only hockey this season. He put up two goals and four points in seven tournament games. Winterton helped the Canadian team bring the gold medal home from Plano, Texas.

2021 NHL Draft #80: Ryan Winterton Scouting Report

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
He only dropped because of no play this past season but he did perform well at the U18s for Team Canada. Winterton will get a lot of ice time in the OHL this season with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Finally Ryan Winterton is back playing! Good Luck to him the rest of the season,next and the of course during his career!!!

Reactions: barriers

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm interested to see how he plays without MacTavish as he is a very interesting prospect with a high floor, I just wonder what his ceiling will be.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I'm interested to see how he plays without MacTavish as he is a very interesting prospect with a high floor, I just wonder what his ceiling will be.
So far Winterton has been a pleasant surprise, considering he last played almost 2 years ago.

I was curious how he would do without Mason McTavish of Logan Morrison in the lineup but Winterton registered 2 assists yesterday, and 2 goals and an assist today. The Hamilton Bulldogs do a good job of posting goals on Twitter.

Assist

Goal #1

Goal #2

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So far Winterton has been a pleasant surprise, considering he last played almost 2 years ago.

I was curious how he would do without Mason McTavish of Logan Morrison in the lineup but Winterton registered 2 assists yesterday, and 2 goals and an assist today. The Hamilton Bulldogs do a good job of posting goals on Twitter.

Assist

Goal #1

Goal #2

thanks he looks like a very good pick so far.

Reactions: kihei

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Assist

Goal #1

Goal #2

Thanks for the feedback.

Any additional info would be much appreciated since scouting reports were rather hard to find for him thanks to all the time he missed last season (COVID) and this season (injury).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I watched the replays posted and can't really tell all that much to be honest. Some observations:

- Great transition pass on the breakaway.
- Seems like he has a really quick release. That's pretty important.
- Needs to add some muscle/strength.
- His goals were from weak areas. Maybe his quick release is what fooled the goalie but doubt that works at the NHL level.

One of the big positives about Winterton is that he is one of the youngest draft picks in the 2021 draft. He is still only 18 and seems like he has bounced back well from a lot of missed game time. Fingers crossed on this kid.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
So I read The Hockey News. It's a nice website... and so I'm reading this piece and thinking, "damn, this is really well written compared to the usual Hockey News pieces I read". I keep reading, it continues to be good. I finish, look down at the writer. Marisa. lol. Good deal. Glad she's still writing about the Kraken, because she's really good at it.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Winterton has finished the regular season with Hamilton scoring 46 points during 37 games.
He also just had three assists in their first playoff game.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Although it’s a McTavish goal, Winterton did a good job skating the puck in and feeding McTavish’s stick on this goal the other night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad