Ryan White

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
With Dale Weise's steller play in the playoffs, I am very confident that he will be resigned.

Where does that leave Ryan White?

Habs have both Prust and Moen under contract for another 2 years. I'm going to assume they will try to resign Vanek and either resign Gionta for a lower cap hit or get a replacement on the UFA market. Eller gets resigned, of course. So where does White fit in? There is no way that he is a better option that either of Moen, Prust, Weise. Trade his rights for a 6th?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
With Dale Weise's steller play in the playoffs, I am very confident that he will be resigned.

Where does that leave Ryan White?

Habs have both Prust and Moen under contract for another 2 years. I'm going to assume they will try to resign Vanek and either resign Gionta for a lower cap hit or get a replacement on the UFA market. Eller gets resigned, of course. So where does White fit in? There is no way that he is a better option that either of Moen, Prust, Weise. Trade his rights for a 6th?

Hard to say what if any interest would be shown in RW.
He is a utility player at best.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I have to disagree. I see White as a very useful player. Good speed, toughness, great on the PK and a good face off man.

Will drop em', defend his teammates, has great energy and makes way fewer dumb plays.

What's not to like? The only reason he's not in, is because MB has got what may be best bottom six depth in league.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada

That's really too bad he didn't pan out. I remember thinking we got a steal when we nabbed him in the 3rd round that year. Thought he could turn into a gritty, chippy 3rd liner 30-40 point production. It happens I guess.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The issue isn't Moen, Prust and Weise. We know that there will be injuries to our 4th line guys so having 4 of them , including White does make sense.

The issue is Briere. Briere plays his best at center and there is no center spot on the top 3 lines. Less so when you consider Galchenyuk and trying him at center. On top of that, we have our tweener Weise who is a 4th liner with better skill and hands, who takes advantage of the chances Briere creates often enough that our 4th line has some offensive danger to it. Incredible, but we have 4 lines that can at least chip in.

So to me , makes sense to keep Briere on the 4th line and to put him on the PP.
So clearly Weise gets a spot, and that leaves you one line spot and two roster spots for forwards. One of those top 9 spots I think you keep for a top 9 player, so one spot for an energy guy. One of White or Moen I think goes, and Moen is a better guy on the PK, though White is getting better as a face-off guy and is younger.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
White is a solid player we should keep him, plus he and Weise grew up together instant chemistry.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This mediocre non-factor is done in Montreal. Counting Galchenyuk and Moen, Ryan White is our 15th forward at best, and by this time next year he will be behind De La Rose, Andrighetto, on the depth chart, possibly behind Leblanc, Thomas, and whoever might be brought in to replace Parros, which would make him the 20th forward.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
This mediocre non-factor is done in Montreal. Counting Galchenyuk and Moen, Ryan White is our 15th forward at best, and by this time next year he will be behind De La Rose, Andrighetto, on the depth chart, possibly behind Leblanc, Thomas, and whoever might be brought in to replace Parros, which would make him the 20th forward.

tumblr_mxg7tsAWPU1shr61qo2_250.gif

wow

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I think Moen will likely be dealt over the off season and White will pick up some fourth line minutes. He's an excellent penalty killer and face off guy, and a total team player. Bergevin won't let that kind of guy walk.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

True, there are limits both on roster size and on the number of players who can be dressed. I can imagine having better players than Ryan White.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ryan White's faceoff percentage this season is 50.8%, it was 54.5% the previous season and 49.2% the season before that. The three season average is 51.5%, he is marginally above average in the face-off department, hardly great or excellent, which doesn't make up for his deficiencies elsewhere.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have to disagree. I see White as a very useful player. Good speed, toughness, great on the PK and a good face off man.

Will drop em', defend his teammates, has great energy and makes way fewer dumb plays.

What's not to like? The only reason he's not in, is because MB has got what may be best bottom six depth in league.

You just descibed a good utility player in my mind.
It's very hard to determine what other GM's think of him.
We clearly have opted in another direction.
He might be useful in an Edmonton or even Calgary team structure.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
White's okay, but I think his time here is coming to an end. Depending on who of our UFAs stay, he's currently our 15th best forward. I'd put everyone on our current line up plus Moen and Galchenyuk ahead of him. I don't think his skillset is so invaluable that you need to make room for him.

The fact that he's only been used sparingly the last 2 years might lead him to ask to be moved, in fact.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Trade him to Winnipeg for Anthony Peluso? White's from Manitoba, they might be interested. :dunno:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Keep White. He was great in the playoffs last year and seems to be a good teamate.

Brière won't be here forever and we'll need a 4th line center then.

I think Bergevin will try to move Bourque this off season, making room for Bournival on the 3rd lineand clearing some cap space to try to re-sign Vanek and Gionta.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Rather would move Moen. After the concussion he got in that fight, I thought his time would be up for this year. If we can sell high on some of these guys this year and find other guys, I'm all for it

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Rather would move Moen. After the concussion he got in that fight, I thought his time would be up for this year. If we can sell high on some of these guys this year and find other guys, I'm all for it

Yes. And I don't think Weise bumps White out, I hope Weise plays on the 3rd line, next year he replaces Gionta. Ryan White is a valuable C/RW, a warrior, gritty and has decent hockey sense and shot. I think we'd regret losing him as he could become a coach and fan favourite elsewhere.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm a huge Ryan White fan, so...here's to White's amazing patience:handclap:

Ryan White...warrior + playoffs' warrior.
Moen...warrior + playoffs' warrior.

Keep Moen, until...a team offers a 2nd or 3rd Rnd Pick.
Moen will understand, I think! (especially if it's Anaheim who offers!).
Moen has done a lot for our team (I feel loyalty) and has been paid handsomely as well...this including sticking up for teammates when it could be time for a ''policeman'' to do that job.

White should be a Hab for awhile...he sticks up for his teammates, has a billion dollar smile when our team scores (happy like Subban!), amazing team player, more and more disciplined, old-school warrior... was solid VS Ottawa during last season's miserable playoffs' short season (we were not the same team, that's for sure! no Weaver, no Weise, no Vanek, etc,etc).

Go White Go!! (great team player, great old-school warrior).

First time we've had so much depth...Moen, White, Galchenyuk, J.Tinordi all waiting for their next chance.

Prust VS White:
I'm also a Prust fan, but...a 100% White might actually give us more VS Prust (never at 100%!!), especially if Prust continues to play all banged up (not as efficient when only at 50-60%,etc, I'm hoping he's healthier than 50-60%).

Last edited:

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
White is the kind of player we need on a fourth line. Stands up for his teammates and willing to match anyone physically.

His future is also dependent on how other propects develop and the UFA market.

I'd rather keep him than Moen on the roster, but Bergevin will be looking to upgrade the bottom 6 so he is definaltey a bubble player.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
For a change, I do agree with DAChampion here. :laugh:

White is low on the depth chart right now and he's not trending up.

The only way White remains relevant is if we resign Vanek and then move some of our depth for an upgrade. But that's all speculation at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00