Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The giant massive rotating black hole at RW probably has alot to do with the Oil's troubles also. Seeing as it has been the hottest topic from day 1, I'd say having Ebs here would be a major plug

They are allowed 3.5 GA this year ... honestly they're not good enough to outscore their problems with a GA like that. A few extra goals from Eberle (who wouldn't have 9 here, he'd have maybe 5-6) wouldn't magically address those problems.

I don't know why Chiarelli just thought Sekera could be injured until Christmas and nothing needed to be done.

I suggested in the summer that they take a look at one of Vegas' D or a vet like Beaucheman at least and then Vanek upfront but nope.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
They are allowed 3.5 GA this year ... honestly they're not good enough to outscore their problems with a GA like that. A few extra goals from Eberle (who wouldn't have 9 here, he'd have maybe 5-6) wouldn't magically address those problems.

I don't know why Chiarelli just thought Sekera could be injured until Christmas and nothing needed to be done.

I suggested in the summer that they take a look at one of Vegas' D or a vet like Beaucheman at least and then Vanek upfront but nope.

RNH's improved production combined with Ebs PROVEN production. You can't make that statement.

What is abundantly clear is the hole left at RW. Playing Letestu there is a testament to that

Many fans here chanted how Strome and Jokinen would fill that gap. Clearly not the case

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH's improved production combined with Ebs PROVEN production. You can't make that statement.

What is abundantly clear is the hole left at RW. Playing Letestu there is a testament to that

Many fans here chanted how Strome and Jokinen would fill that gap. Clearly not the case

Relying on Letestu was another mistake that masked how bad the Hall trade was. He scored at what? Like a 20+ goal pace in the second half of the year and was no.3 on the team in scoring in the playoffs?

Something was very wrong with that picture.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
So we trade two top draft picks in one of the best drafts in decades for an AHL defenseman, Reinhart, that is too slow for the NHL. But for some reason we want to take the 1 in a million chance he will get quicker at the age of 24. Then we trade our best player over the last decade, Eberle, for Ryan Strome who is a third liner at best. That is going to improve the team how? It sure improved the Islanders! Made them playoff contenders.

This!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was fine with the Eberle trade, he had quit on the team, leaving a hole on wing was absolutely not ok though.

More accurately IMO the team quit on Eberle. Eberle had a down year and was hors**t in the playoffs. No argument from me.
I think the team should have tried to extract more from the player instead of selling him at the lowest possible point.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
While Eberle is obviously the better player, I'm starting to think I unfairly dismissed Strome earlier this year. I think he's played much better overall of late, and has been steady on the defensive side of things for much of the year.

Im intrigued to see where his play goes in the next 10-20 games. He's scored 2G-4A-6P in his last 8 games, and both his goals were absolute snipes bar down. He looked great last game with Draisaitl, and I'm interested to see if that could end up a good spot for him. He's definitely played up to his cap hit so far, now its time to see if he can exceed that.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
While Eberle is obviously the better player, I'm starting to think I unfairly dismissed Strome earlier this year. I think he's played much better overall of late, and has been steady on the defensive side of things for much of the year.

Im intrigued to see where his play goes in the next 10-20 games. He's scored 2G-4A-6P in his last 8 games, and both his goals were absolute snipes bar down. He looked great last game with Draisaitl, and I'm interested to see if that could end up a good spot for him. He's definitely played up to his cap hit so far, now its time to see if he can exceed that.

Not on a point per game pace?
Leave this team you toxic plug. Can't believe this guy makes 2.5 million. At least Gryba has sick corsi numbers and fights people.

Reactions: McNuge

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I was watching the hilights again...was that Strome with the Ric Flair "Wooooo" when he scored or was that another Oiler on the ice?

Whoever it was made me laugh.

Reactions: Still DRAI

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I liked his play the last game a lot, and I have been as down as one can be on this trade. Ryan Strome was a whole lot of nothing on the Isles and he's seemed that way for us for the most part. But that shot last night was killer, as was his pass to Pulju on the one-timer 2 games ago. If he can keep chipping in with impressive offensive like that every second game or so, that's earning his keep by my eye. So I hope I'm wrong and he keeps it up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that much like Eberle this past offseason, Strome needs to really work on his skating this upcoming offseason.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
More accurately IMO the team quit on Eberle. Eberle had a down year and was hors**t in the playoffs. No argument from me.
I think the team should have tried to extract more from the player instead of selling him at the lowest possible point.

Players are human beings; some human beings can shut down and quit on those who depend on them. Some of those never recover unless a drastic, permanent change occurs. Eberle had looked like he checked out 2 seasons ago. A newly constructed world-class arena, infusion of elite skill (McDavid, Drai, Sekera, Larsson, new management, coaching staff), plenty of opportunity to play with said talent, an invigorated city, and a winning record were not enough to change his motivation.
Based on this, there has to be zero doubt that Eberle would not be playing anywhere near the level that he's been playing at with NYI, with the Oilers this season. I'll take a motivated Strome over an apathetic anyone, any day.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
^ Checked out 2 seasons ago ? wow the crap people make up he scored 25 goals on pace for 30 after coming back from a bad injury this board at times,.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Players are human beings; some human beings can shut down and quit on those who depend on them. Some of those never recover unless a drastic, permanent change occurs. Eberle had looked like he checked out 2 seasons ago. A newly constructed world-class arena, infusion of elite skill (McDavid, Drai, Sekera, Larsson, new management, coaching staff), plenty of opportunity to play with said talent, an invigorated city, and a winning record were not enough to change his motivation.
Based on this, there has to be zero doubt that Eberle would not be playing anywhere near the level that he's been playing at with NYI, with the Oilers this season. I'll take a motivated Strome over an apathetic anyone, any day.

Well...you seemed to have arrived at a opinion based on questionable conclusions. How is it that Eberle checked out 2 years ago?
Also...how do you know with certainty that Eberles on ice challenges were entirely about motivation?

If you have ever played a sport then you know once you lose your confidence its a monumental task to get it back even in the best of circumstances. Also...there is a lot more to a situation that the elements of motivation that you mentioned.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
6 points in last 10 games

On pace for 38 points.

I'm guessing he lands closer to 45-50 though. Maybe 15 goals and 30 assists.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
^ Checked out 2 seasons ago ? wow the crap people make up he scored 25 goals on pace for 30 after coming back from a bad injury this board at times,.

He was putting up points, but he seemed disinterested for stretches of that year. He reminded me of Justin Schultz, who had clearly given up on the team. I don't mean to be hard on him, but there are clear differences between players who start mailing it in (Ebs and Schultz) and Hall, who played hard right up until he was traded (and was the only who had value at that point). Eberle and Schultz just didnt want to be here and were pouting.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Well...you seemed to have arrived at a opinion based on questionable conclusions. How is it that Eberle checked out 2 years ago?
Also...how do you know with certainty that Eberles on ice challenges were entirely about motivation?

If you have ever played a sport then you know once you lose your confidence its a monumental task to get it back even in the best of circumstances. Also...there is a lot more to a situation that the elements of motivation that you mentioned.

I am making inferences, but I think it was clear what was happening in Schultz's and Eberle's cases.
Not that it's even remotely comparable, but I played a year of Junior A and was horrible for the few games I played. It was because I clearly didn't want it as badly as many others did. It was related to my confidence, but also a reflection of my maturity and dedication . Thousands of dollars of my parents' money and all of their time invested down the drain and I couldnt have cared less at the time.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He was putting up points, but he seemed disinterested for stretches of that year. He reminded me of Justin Schultz, who had clearly given up on the team. I don't mean to be hard on him, but there are clear differences between players who start mailing it in (Ebs and Schultz) and Hall, who played hard right up until he was traded (and was the only who had value at that point). Eberle and Schultz just didnt want to be here and were pouting.
Hog wash even though Eberle last season was not producing at his career average he had 100% worked hard on his defensive game back checked harder , and still after being so checked out finished 3rd in team scoring while being a + player.

So what you're suggesting is if any player in the league go thru stretches bad play or unproductive play have checked out quite the strawman analysis imo. And they all seemed to check back in on other teams . Not buying this nonsense I have watched hockey to long and according to your theory in that time only 3 players I ever watched did not checkout at any time Gretzky Orr and Lemieux .

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Hog wash even though Eberle last season was not producing at his career average he had 100% worked hard on his defensive game back checked harder , and still after being so checked out finished 3rd in team scoring while being a + player.

So what you're suggesting is if any player in the league go thru stretches bad play or unproductive play have checked out quite the strawman analysis imo. And they all seemed to check back in on other teams . Not buying this nonsense I have watched hockey to long and according to your theory in that time only 3 players I ever watched did not checkout at any time Gretzky Orr and Lemieux .

From watching Eberle last year, did he seem like he wanted to be here just based on his play through out the season? Did he seem like a player who wanted to win games during the playoffs? I don't mean to ask that in pointed or hostile manner, but he didn't seem like it to me. I figured that he was injured, but unless I'm mistaken, he wasn't. I'm willing to admit that, perhaps, I'm subconsciously biased against him for some reason.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
At the same time, I understand that it's an exercise in futility to take the stance that I'm taking. I will never know the reasons for anything that happens behind the scenes in a professional sports' organization. I was a Petry apologist, arguing against posters who had the same rationale for my disdain for Schultz and Eberle.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I know things are not working out this year but I love our center depth moving forward.

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nuge
Strome

If Letestu was playing better I would add him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad