Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
35 point 3rd/2nd line tweener who sucks defensively, is soft and floats on the ice. An objectively worse player than eberle in every way possible. Chia loves getting bent over by snow in trades.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
What does he do well? Where does he suck?
Does anyone have a legitimate breakdown of this player?

His standout skills are supposed to be shot, passing and hockey sense. He can't skate very well, not physical at all, and pretty atrocious defensively. I'd say Sam Gagner when we lost him with worse passing and a better shot as a comparable. (Gagner last year looked to be better than Strome defensively, better shot, better skating...basically I'd rather have gotten Gagner back than have Strome).

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
So we needed D/C, secondary scoring, grit, and defensive capability.

What did we get?

Anyone have insight that saves this from being a complete disaster?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Isles always seem like a bit of a gong show to me. Maybe Strome was held back there.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
not a strome fan. From what I've heard, he's soft, black hole offensively on the pp and isn't fast.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Eberle and Mcdavid / Drai had no chemistry. If Strome comes in and plays well on the wing with either of those two he will probably score 30 goals and this will look like an absolute steal.

Eberle provided absolutely nothing in playoffs because he's small and weak. Those type of players just need to go away.

Feb 9, 2013
His standout skills are supposed to be shot, passing and hockey sense. He can't skate very well, not physical at all, and pretty atrocious defensively. I'd say Sam Gagner when we lost him with worse passing and a better shot as a comparable. (Gagner last year looked to be better than Strome defensively, better shot, better skating...basically I'd rather have gotten Gagner back than have Strome).

So... Eberle, but for cheaper than Eberle.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Eberle and Mcdavid / Drai had no chemistry. If Strome comes in and plays well on the wing with either of those two he will probably score 30 goals and this will look like an absolute steal.

Eberle provided absolutely nothing in playoffs because he's small and weak. Those type of players just need to go away.

I'm not going to expect 30 goals from Strome (career high is 17). After seeing what Eberle gave us in the playoffs, I was 100% done with him and ready to move on. The fact that we don't have to keep any of his salary on the books is great. I don't care about Eberle's 20-25 goals and 50-65 points; Strome can probably produce 70-80% of that for 40% of the cap hit, which gives us some flexibility to fill out the roster and stay under the cap.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Very much a perimeter player. In his early days, he was very confident with the puck and would make standout plays on a nightly basis (zone entry, possession and passing). Never much of a shooter though because he rarely gets enough time and space and is pass-first.

Where he struggles mostly is the inability to create seperation and frankly, do anything worthwhile in the offensive zone. Can't cycle, can't find open ice. He also has a tendency to take really bad penalties.

If Strome is going to figure it out, he needs a huge confidence boost and needs to rediscover his playmaking ability. At one point, it seemed like he was trying to grind through his scoring draughts with gritty play, almost trying too hard? Effort is not the problem, the kid is going to work his ass off.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not a centre. Don't try to tell me he can play C, Chiarelli. Your team is pathetically weak down the middle when Draisaitl is at RW, and losing the match-ups against Anaheim cost you more than the refs could ever take.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Posted this in the Isles forum. Strome could be a definite bust, but if he is utilized in accordance with his skills and the coach can re-engage his confidence, he can become a consistent 50 point player.

OILER FAN ALERT

Breakdown:

Eberle's not the player he was a few years ago, but he might have just stagnated player for the Oilers as long as he did. He was successful before because he had a lethal backhand, his hands were insane in-tight and he didn't mind playing in the middle of the ice. Lately, he doesn't have hands, plays on the peripheral and loses the puck a lot. His shot used to be great as well, however after using a shooting coach last year in the off-season it's been off.

Now, that's all the bad stuff. From all accounts, he's a good guy in the room. He will put up at least 50 points. He has the ability to put up 30 goals, and he'll likely hover around 18-25 this season for you guys. He can make great plays when he has pressure in front of the goalie, and he's still as shootout wizard. He's not really very clutch, as he used to be or what was billed but he should pot an easy one and he's able to get to the right spot to put it in.

He thrives under a completely offensive style system, so if Weight runs one of those you're golden. He has zero defensive ability, but he has been trying under the TMac regime and will attempt to get back. He just loses his man 80% of the time. The effort is there, though.

All in all, you picked up a point producer without many other intangibles. 50 points a season is not easy in this league anymore though, so it's a solid pick-up.

As we say on the Oiler boards (well, those of us who don't hate him) he's making $1-1.5 million more than he should be, otherwise he's bang on for his buck.

Snow keeps reaming us, eh?

Can you guys give us a breakdown either on here, or on our board so we can figure out what we're getting back? It would be much appreciated.

Honest and fair assessment. Excited to see what he can do on the Isles PP and 1st or 2nd line.

As for Strome, really seems like a player in which Capuanoo severely damaged him. He not only broke his confidence by sitting him down weeks at a time based of small errors and sample sizes, but he utilized him not ina ccordance with his skills.

Strome was a player who had a lot of creativity, was a fluid skater, with good hockey IQ when we drafted him. He put up 50 points in his first full year because he was playing HIS game. The more time under Cappy, the more he was pushed to play a "dump and chase," slow paced game, where he could not use his IQ and creativity. What do you know production drops which forces him to overthink, make mental errors, andhave Capuano ultimately bench him because of this.

This led him to become a player who appeared to lack effort, but I really think it as an almost inability to think, act, and ultimately make the play he would have 2-3 years ago anymore because the coach had destroyed his confidence and instilled a fear of being benched for 2 weeks if he made that mistake or didnt fall into line with Cappy's "system."

Once Capuano was canned, you didn't see an immediate change, but Weight actually would sit him down and talk to him. Isles started playing the game that made them dangerous in 2014-15 when they burst onto the scene, quick transitions, creative offensive zone plays, D getting involved in the play, etc. Weight rode it out with him when he made mistakes. Slowly hye started gaining confidence, making more plays, and the points came. No world beater, but started scoring on a pace aligned with the ~50 points he has put up before.

I think if that trend continues, he can be a good player for the Oilers or whoever he ends up with after that. With that, as an Isles fan I'd do this trade 10/10 times cause even though Ebs is overpaid and has deficiencies, you know what you're getting, and that's a top line offensive talent wqith drawbacks in other areas. Strome can be that player someday, but isn't yet.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Not a centre. Don't try to tell me he can play C, Chiarelli. Your team is pathetically weak down the middle when Draisaitl is at RW, and losing the match-ups against Anaheim cost you more than the refs could ever take.

As an Isles fan, I totally think Strome is a C long term. His skillset fits that mold. How he was utilized under Capuano does not, which is a big reason he struggled. Don't make him carry the line, but put him at C, that will make him the ebst player he can be.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As an Isles fan, I totally think Strome is a C long term. His skillset fits that mold. How he was utilized under Capuano does not, which is a big reason he struggled. Don't make him carry the line, but put him at C, that will make him the ebst player he can be.

The Oilers need a 3C to be able to win draws and match-up against other top-line centres. That's actually the only thing they need from a C.

Does Strome do either?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad