Ryan Smyth to retire

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Anybody ever wearing 94 for the Oilers would be a joke. Just retire the damn thing. He's an oiler legend, like it or not.

Kevotron

Jan 24, 2008
Edmonton
BlCx6RVCUAAcV3h.jpg

Can anybody spot Yakupov ???

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Cant wait til eakins is fired so they can get rid of that stupid sterotypical edmonton motto. "Chop wood carry water". Newsflash Eakins some of us are CFAs, MBAs CAs etc.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Disagree. To me, you retire a number when it is iconic in regards to a single player. When you say 94, you think of Smyth and his 971 games in an Oiler jersey. No other player should ever wear 94 for the Oilers

I kind of agree with this.

No, he's not Gretz or Mess or Kurri.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize how fondly I will remember (and miss) being on the edge of my seat for countless net-front scrums, watching a mess of players and gloves and sticks flail away wildly, listening to Cole or Cuthbert or whoever breathlessly try to make sense of it... And then jumping to my feet when the goal light went on and old '94 was there, flat on his ass but with his arms in the air.

In its own way, for a time, it was as special as Gretzky filling the net, Coffey rushing the puck, or a Kurri one-timer.

Smyth embodied those late-90s team (which, in many ways, may have been my favorite era). Not as talented as the opposition, not as experienced or as decorated. But ready to work, grind, bleed and hustle for wins where there weren't supposed to be any. Always an underdog but never intimidated. Tough as nails without being showy about it. Old-school hockey at its best.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Cant wait til eakins is fired so they can get rid of that stupid sterotypical edmonton motto. "Chop wood carry water". Newsflash Eakins some of us are CFAs, MBAs CAs etc.

Yeah, they should put up "Derive quadratic formulae, solve differential equations" instead. That'll make the team play harder.

Good call!

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Red Wing fan coming in peace. First off, congrats Ryan on a great career and good luck in retirement! Secondly, did the Oilers force Smyth out and tell him they wont be re-signing him next year? I ask b/c CBC made it sound that way and also hinted that the Oilers weren't going to bring him back by saying how
maybe ryan wanted to go out on his own terms

To me that sounds like Edmonton wasn't going to re-sign him and instead of wanting to play for another franchise, he chose to retire...If thats the case, that sucks for Ryan b/c if he still has some gas left in tank and chose to retire over playing for another franchise, I feel for him

I am curious on the above bc, I really want to know if he actually chose this for himself or was it forced, per-say, given the timing. Seemed kind of rushed from the start, starting with the random speech to his team yesterday....

any info would be great and again, heck of a career Ryan..

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I hope you guys retire his number. I find the HHOF rule for number retirements kinda silly. If Hall wasn't wearing #4 it could open up the door for retiring Lowe's number too

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Interesting stat for those who like to compare Smyth and Linden:

Between ages 26-34:

Linden 840 GP, 396 points
Smyth 775 GP, 532 points

Kind of seems like Smyth was better, no? Linden had a great start but he petered out really fast.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
loved him during his short time as a King, even though he left on bad terms. cheers to one heck of a dude and an awesome career :handclap:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

That's a great motto for the guys, the thing is they are hockey players not CFA's MBA's or CA's. A full NHL 82 game season and playoffs if we ever get there can be a grind (especially when factoring in the travel schedule), it's about embracing the grind and working your butt off, nothing wrong with that.

I'm also a guy who works behind the desk with paperwork and I can still identify with that.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
That's a great motto for the guys, the thing is they are hockey players not CFA's MBA's or CA's. A full NHL 82 game season and playoffs if we ever get there can be a grind (especially when factoring in the travel schedule), it's about embracing the grind and working your butt off, nothing wrong with that.

I'm also a guy who works behind the desk with paperwork and I can still identify with that.

Disagree its corny imo. Would rather see Effort = Wins

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
The fact that only 3 Oilers showed up to the press conference is pathetic. This team has some serious locker room issues.

He did a speech to the whole team before the press conference. Why would the whole team go to a press conference after a much more personal environment and speech?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad