Ryan Smyth to retire

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m
No official confirmation but expectation is Ryan Smyth planning to announce his retirement and Saturday vs. VAN will be his final NHL game.

You either retire a hero, or play long enough to see yourself become the villain

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames fan coming in peace.

Smyth is a guy I really respected over the years even though he played for the Oilers. I'd really like to see him lace them up one more time as "Captain Canada" at the WHC, I think it would be a nice way fro him to go out.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hope he at least gets that PP goal.

Didn't see the news posted in the other thread :laugh:

But I do too. The Oilers should all just dive around today and draw some penalties to get Smytty the PP.

Of course this will be hard as Smyth will take an offensive zone penalty when hooks King floating passed him (which is like Hall skating by you at 100 mph to a regular forward)

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Nice call BlueChip01

This one is going to bring back memories. Thought he might have one more season in the tank, but oh well. Hope he scores that PP goal to break the record, this guy is forever one of the Oiler greats.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
Great career for Smyth. Always good to the fans.

Won more board battles in the offensive zone more than most player in the league. Heart and determination carried his career more so than his natural talent.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Legacy a bit tarnished IMO. Don't feel as sad about it or as though it's truly as special an occasion/announcement that it should be. I'm sure it will sink in later. He should've retired last year though, pretty miserable end to a career. Was a great Oiler for a long time.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
What a career... Smyth to me will always be the epitome of an Oiler.

I really hope he gets his goal but there's nothing wrong with being tied for first.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Of all the players on the 2006 team, he was the one I wanted to see lift the Cup the most.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Thank god.

You must have just finished high school or something. A fan who was old enough to remember his prime with the Oilers would never post something so obtuse or classless upon hearing this news... regardless of how he's playing this season. I love Smyth, and I couldn't be happier that he's retiring an Oiler.

Smyth at his finest:

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
My favourite player by far. No one is as good as he was in front of the net. He could also win board battles like no one else could. I really hope he gets that PPG before his career ends. I can't believe he is retiring :cry:

Jun 22, 2009
You must have just finished high school or something. A fan who was old enough to remember his prime with the Oilers would never post something so obtuse or classless upon hearing this news... regardless of how he's playing this season. I love Smyth, and I couldn't be happier that he's retiring an Oiler.

Smyth at his finest:

I'm 22 and I grew up idolizing Smyth. But he's just awful now and his retiring was 2 years overdue.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Phew. Roster spot is up for grabs and hopefully we can hopefully pick someone more useful up.

That said, he has been a complete warrior for this team, and I hope he gets that damn PP goal tonight.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Thank god his delusions of youth are finally over. Had a great career as an Oiler overall, but this second stint has left a sour taste in my mouth. Looks like I need a new user title.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is the perfect season for him to retire on. He played really well for us.

There's no sense in tempting fate. If he returned next season he would have inevitably declined and the fanbase would turn on him.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
I'm 22 and I grew up idolizing Smyth. But he's just awful now and his retiring was 2 years overdue.

If you idolized him, say something decent to congratulate the guy on a great career. This really isn't the type of thread for negativity. Surely you can see that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad