Confirmed with Link: Ryan Smyth hired by Oilers

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think people are taking this way too seriously. This is similar to Gretzky situation. Just another way for Katz to pay his friends.
I take offence at anyone knocking Gretzky being part of this organization . He was the Oilers and what ever position he has now or in the future other then coach I applaud.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A part time conditioning coach? Okay, sounds fine. For anyone saying this will inspire heart or greater work effort though is kiddng themselves. He's not some guru who unlocks the hard work and grit gene in people. If he were, why didn't any of that happen when he came back at the end of his career?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I believe Wayne said they will be getting a home here and splitting time between here and LA which makes sense.

Also, every single team in the NHL hires former players. This isn't cronyism or anything. Literally every team does this. As IATL said,he wasn't hired to be head coach or any position where it should matter. Not concerned about this at all.

Probably some sort of tax write off for Gretzky. I dont' know that he'd be living there as much as he just has a place here when he comes to the City.

Oct 15, 2008
A part time conditioning coach? Okay, sounds fine. For anyone saying this will inspire heart or greater work effort though is kiddng themselves. He's not some guru who unlocks the hard work and grit gene in people. If he were, why didn't any of that happen when he came back at the end of his career?

Whose to say it didn't? Certainly not you.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

RNH and Ebs were playing some of the best hockey on a line with Smytty.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I feel like they're saying part time , actually, they're emphasizing very part time because they have other plans for him , I could see him do what he's doing this year but next year maybe be the Assistant coach for the oil kings, gain some exp and work his way up, earn a higher position on the Oilers in a few years ?

I personally would be more than ok with that

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Horcoff is very smart and a hockey guy through and through, he's an asset in any organization, the Red Wings have traditionally had one of the smartest front offices hired him and I think that speaks volumes. I also know a guy who grew up playing with him and he always spoke very highly of him.

With regards to the PED's he was at the tail end of his career and was trying to re-hab an injury, if I was old and not healing properly and could take something to speed the healing process and then just cut it completely out before I was playing again, honestly I think I'd consider it, if you are emotionally invested in a team and just want to get back to being healthy to help the guys out it's understandable. If it is a PED to give you a competitive advantage for competing against other guys in the season it is something I'd be highly critical of.

Also with respect to our young guys Hall, Ebs, RNH, and Yakupov were all asked which veteran helped them the most when they were starting out, they all said Horcoff. Horcoff also helped out older guys he helped train Penner as he had trouble staying in shape and got him on a diet, we got the best season out of Penner's career in no small part cause of Horcoff, if he didn't have that season we likely wouldn't of got that return out of the Kings that gave us Klefbom.

I also disagree about mailing it in, he wasn't a talented guy he only became the player he was through hard work those types generally can't maintain that level of high end play, based purely on skill set he should of capped out as a 3rd liner, it's only cause of his intense dedication to training and hard work that he was able to elevate himself above that. The only thing I ever expect out of players is effort, if they are giving what they got and it is falling short of what they are getting paid that is on the GM.

Word... Horcoff is in some very flattering company in terms of guys who dedicated themselves to the game. People forget that the 2006 team's most talented forward was Hemsky. The rest of that gang were a bunch of "try-hards" who listened to their coach (and Pronger), and would bleed for their teammates... and Horcoff was a poster child of that group.

We would have 10 more points this season if we had a team with the same dedication and attention to detail that team had (to a man... ok, maybe not Samsonov).

[edit: not to say we aren't building it... plenty of emerging leaders on our current team... but we aren't there yet]

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
C'mon what about the following :

> Deflections
> Stick craft
> Squeezing yourself "wide" (along the boards)
> Flow
> Blocking shots
> Taking pucks to the face
> Contract negotiations
> Jersey tucking

Deflections... yeah OK... but for him it's more about just going to the net... but sure.

Stick craft?

Squeezing yourself wide along the boards? No wonder he was injured so many times.

Blocking shots? Pisses me off when forwards block shots. They get hurt and if it deflects off of them it makes the goalie's job more difficult.

Taking pucks to the face? Keep him away from McDavid!

Contract.... ****ing what?!?!

Jer... come on dude! :laugh:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
You're all mistaken..

Conditioning coach.. as in Shampoo and Conditioning.

The boys need some major help. Flow game is weak.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Deflections... yeah OK... but for him it's more about just going to the net... but sure.

Stick craft?

Squeezing yourself wide along the boards? No wonder he was injured so many times.

Blocking shots? Pisses me off when forwards block shots. They get hurt and if it deflects off of them it makes the goalie's job more difficult.

Taking pucks to the face? Keep him away from McDavid!

Contract.... ****ing what?!?!

Jer... come on dude! :laugh:

You must have started watching hockey in 2007. Smyth pretty much personify everything Oilers in the dead puck era. The guy plays the game how hockey was meant to be played.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
You would be OK with hiring ex-flames and ex-canucks?

The problem wasn't hiring ex-Oilers, it was hiring arrogant, stupid people with little or no experience who also happened to be ex-Oilers.

Congrats to Smyth. If he can transfer even a fraction of his heart into current players he will be wildly successful.

I would be OK with hiring anyone based upon their merits. However, given the history of the Oilers organization, ex-Oilers are often hired out of cronyism rather than merit.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
If we don't win the cup this year it's because our part time conditioning coach is an ex_oiler, whose OBC mentality poisoned the locker room.

Sarcasm aside...

For those rejecting anyone for the sole reason of being an ex-oiler, is crazy.

I can not think of anyone who squeezed as much success out of such little talent as Ryan Smyth. Is that not worth something? Is the knowledge of just how the heck this no talent hack with the 82mph clapper lasted 20years in the best league in the world not worth a 10 hour a week consulting gig without everyone screaming OBC?

If your answer to "What makes you qualified for this job with my hockey club?" is "I'm Wayne Gretzky"

You are hired....

Even the dumbest, most ******** life form on the planet can figure that one out.
But half of HF board can't.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
You're all mistaken..

Jagr still showing everyone how it's done and he's in his 40's. Massive flow game

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So I read one article last night and this really isn't even news I guess. It's more just "this is what is happening" and really wasn't a press release by the team.

Seems like his main job is working with guys that are coming back from injury. I don't even know if it's a job or just him killing some time doing something he loves.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
...I can not think of anyone who squeezed as much success out of such little talent as Ryan Smyth. Is that not worth something? ...

Don't take this personally, but can we please let this evaluation of Smyth die? The guy was a 30 goal 60 to 70 point player in his prime. Not to mention an all-star and olympic champion (+best on best World Cup). That's legit first line material over a fairly lengthy career.

We shouldn't let his gritty, do everything for the team style and sometimes hokey aw shucks rink-rat personality overshadow that fact. It's true that he achieved a lot through dedication and commitment, but he had a good measure of talent too. Suggesting otherwise just seems a bit revisionist.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
You're all mistaken..

We've really been lacking in this department since Jultz left. Good hire imo - hair hygiene is no joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad