Confirmed with Link: Ryan Smyth hired by Oilers

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...yan-smyth-once-again-an-oiler-always-an-oiler

Smyth, now 40 and retired for two years, has taken a very part-time position as a conditioning coach with the Oilers. There was no official announcement from the team, and the job will be better defined if and when he commits more time to it, but he has quietly been doing some on-ice work with injured players while the rest of the squad has been on road trips this season.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just dont try to teach the boys the old Smytty clapper and you will be alright Ryan!

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I love Smyth but I'm sick of cronyism.
I don't like hiring ex-Oilers unless it's in a media/promotional role.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I don't mind hiring ex-oilers if I felt they are right for the role, do I think Smyth is right or more to the point ideal for this role? Not really, but the role seems fairly minor and if he just is out there to help them with some basic drills like puck retrieval off a dump in or pass them pucks so they can test out lets say an injured hand with some light shooting drills, why not.

The only ex-Oilers I'd want to hire of recent memory would of been Shawn Horcoff in a player development or training role (already snatched up by the Wings) and I'd consider Pisani for an assistant coaching job for our AHL squad and Strudwick I could see being a good pro scout.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Conditioning, OK. But keep him away from pretty much everything else.
Last thing we need is another batch of unqualified x oilers to screw things up.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't mind hiring ex-oilers if I felt they are right for the role, do I think Smyth is right or more to the point ideal for this role? Not really, but the role seems fairly minor and if he just is out there to help them with some basic drills like puck retrieval off a dump in or pass them pucks so they can test out lets say an injured hand with some light shooting drills, why not.

The only ex-Oilers I'd want to hire of recent memory would of been Shawn Horcoff in a player development or training role (already snatched up by the Wings) and I'd consider Pisani for an assistant coaching job for our AHL squad and Strudwick I could see being a good pro scout.

I'd have been against this hiring before Nicholson and especially Chiarelli came on board. It doesn't bother me now that it appears this IS now Chia's team. Also helps that the team is playing well enough for me to forget the reign of error that the OBC brought. This is a pretty minor position too.

As far as Horcoff goes, I could never endorse that guy in any role in this organization. Not only did the guy mail it in for years while cashing big paycheques, he taught our young kids that losing was okay. The clincher for me was him getting busted for PED's last year and trying to claim ignorance. Michigan State grad and a longtime member of the NHLPA should of known better. I wouldn't want his lack of character anywhere near our prospects.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Conditioning, OK. But keep him away from pretty much everything else.
Last thing we need is another batch of unqualified x oilers to screw things up.

C'mon what about the following :

> Deflections
> Stick craft
> Squeezing yourself "wide" (along the boards)
> Flow
> Blocking shots
> Taking pucks to the face
> Contract negotiations
> Jersey tucking

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd have been against this hiring before Nicholson and especially Chiarelli came on board. It doesn't bother me now that it appears this IS now Chia's team. Also helps that the team is playing well enough for me to forget the reign of error that the OBC brought. This is a pretty minor position too.

As far as Horcoff goes, I could never endorse that guy in any role in this organization. Not only did the guy mail it in for years while cashing big paycheques, he taught our young kids that losing was okay. The clincher for me was him getting busted for PED's last year and trying to claim ignorance. Michigan State grad and a longtime member of the NHLPA should of known better. I wouldn't want his lack of character anywhere near our prospects.

Horcoff is very smart and a hockey guy through and through, he's an asset in any organization, the Red Wings have traditionally had one of the smartest front offices hired him and I think that speaks volumes. I also know a guy who grew up playing with him and he always spoke very highly of him.

With regards to the PED's he was at the tail end of his career and was trying to re-hab an injury, if I was old and not healing properly and could take something to speed the healing process and then just cut it completely out before I was playing again, honestly I think I'd consider it, if you are emotionally invested in a team and just want to get back to being healthy to help the guys out it's understandable. If it is a PED to give you a competitive advantage for competing against other guys in the season it is something I'd be highly critical of.

Also with respect to our young guys Hall, Ebs, RNH, and Yakupov were all asked which veteran helped them the most when they were starting out, they all said Horcoff. Horcoff also helped out older guys he helped train Penner as he had trouble staying in shape and got him on a diet, we got the best season out of Penner's career in no small part cause of Horcoff, if he didn't have that season we likely wouldn't of got that return out of the Kings that gave us Klefbom.

I also disagree about mailing it in, he wasn't a talented guy he only became the player he was through hard work those types generally can't maintain that level of high end play, based purely on skill set he should of capped out as a 3rd liner, it's only cause of his intense dedication to training and hard work that he was able to elevate himself above that. The only thing I ever expect out of players is effort, if they are giving what they got and it is falling short of what they are getting paid that is on the GM.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I have no issue with Smyth in this role. Guy bled orange, copper and blue his whole career. He isn't here making trades or signings. I have no issue with him being a part of the culture. In fact, I welcome it!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I like it. I see a few l are bringing up the OBC, but this is the type of role someone from the OBC should be getting vs. say Smith or Bucky becoming key assistant coaching jobs with little to no experience.

Hell if this was the type of role you had Bucky doing from the beginning, I doubt people would have been that upset about him.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I like it. I see a few l are bringing up the OBC, but this is the type of role someone from the OBC should be getting vs. say Smith or Bucky becoming key assistant coaching jobs with little to no experience.

Hell if this was the type of role you had Bucky doing from the beginning, I doubt people would have been that upset about him.

Exactly. This isn't a big deal.

I don't mind having him around and I think this is a good role for him. Sure he wasn't the most skilled guy, but you could never question his heart or his work ethic.

He's not running the PP or making trades. This is a pretty minor role.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Another completely inexperienced hire.

That's kinda sad. I'm sure someone with some experience and education in Strength and Conditioning coaching would be much better suited.

;/

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
I was a bit skeptical at first (OBC, etc., etc.). After reading the article it doesn't seem like it's a very involved or important role. If anything it gets Smyth just around the guys from time to time. I don't see much wrong with that as he is without question a guy with strong character.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
director of crying and hugging old ladies on their birthday

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Another completely inexperienced hire.

That's kinda sad. I'm sure someone with some experience and education in Strength and Conditioning coaching would be much better suited.

;/

Someone like Ryan Nugent Hopkins brother?:sarcasm:

Oct 15, 2008

You would be OK with hiring ex-flames and ex-canucks?

The problem wasn't hiring ex-Oilers, it was hiring arrogant, stupid people with little or no experience who also happened to be ex-Oilers.

Congrats to Smyth. If he can transfer even a fraction of his heart into current players he will be wildly successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad