Confirmed with Link: Ryan Smyth hired by Oilers

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Everyone is putting this down like he was hired as the Head Coach or GM...Seriously guys, how else would he get hired into the Executive part of hockey? How did Yzerman, Sakic, Shanahan, Roy, Snow, Sean Burke, Messier, Gretzky, Trottier, and a pile of others who have played in the NHL get in? It wasn't because of their good looks that's for sure. Some are good at it, some stink at it. But it takes a special kind of person to succeed at the jobs. That's like me not finding any jobs because I have no 'experience' in the job specifically, yet, I understand the fundamentals of the job and I am willing to learn from the best to do a good job.

Here's another question, how do people feel about David Pelletier as our Skating Coach? He has ZERO NHL Experience, yet, he understands the game. :shakehead

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I have no problem with this at all , if his give it all you got rubs off on any of these players it's a bonus.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Always thought he would be a good guy in the Junior ranks. Seems like someone that could work with kids that are developing on the little things.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Everyone is putting this down like he was hired as the Head Coach or GM...Seriously guys, how else would he get hired into the Executive part of hockey? How did Yzerman, Sakic, Shanahan, Roy, Snow, Sean Burke, Messier, Gretzky, Trottier, and a pile of others who have played in the NHL get in? It wasn't because of their good looks that's for sure. Some are good at it, some stink at it. But it takes a special kind of person to succeed at the jobs. That's like me not finding any jobs because I have no 'experience' in the job specifically, yet, I understand the fundamentals of the job and I am willing to learn from the best to do a good job.

Here's another question, how do people feel about David Pelletier as our Skating Coach? He has ZERO NHL Experience, yet, he understands the game. :shakehead

I don't know that Pelletier is a good example. Most of those specialized coaches have zero NHL experience.

I'd also suggest after what LD did finding his own coach that maybe Pelletier isn't that great either. Although I really don't know who he's helped.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah this is a great hire and anyone who is down about it is a pretty big cynic

Its going to be very good to get this group with a warrior like Smyth. While not the most skilled guy Smyth was a VERY good player and one of hardest workers/most dedicated Oilers ever. If the players can have 1/2 of Smyths work ethic well be a contender

Draisaitl/Maroon/Lucic could learn a ton from Smyth regarding board play and net front play

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah this is a great hire and anyone who is down about it is a pretty big cynic

Its going to be very good to get this group with a warrior like Smyth. While not the most skilled guy Smyth was a VERY good player and one of hardest workers/most dedicated Oilers ever. If the players can have 1/2 of Smyths work ethic well be a contender

Draisaitl/Maroon/Lucic could learn a ton from Smyth regarding board play and net front play

I don't know how much Maroon and Lucic would take from him at this point in their careers. But getting guys like Puljarvi, Slepyshev, LD etc.. could sure soak in a lot.

I wonder if a guy like Lander would take anything away from working with Smyth? It's not like Smyth is much bigger than Lander, but if Smyth could teach Lander to play big it could go a long way.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I don't know that Pelletier is a good example. Most of those specialized coaches have zero NHL experience.

I'd also suggest after what LD did finding his own coach that maybe Pelletier isn't that great either. Although I really don't know who he's helped.

Maybe not and there could be way better examples, but I'm picking on guys who have ZERO NHL Experience and I know Pelletier hasn't played in the NHL. Just sick of the same old "We want experience to be hired in" crap when in reality, the position he was given is small.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't know how much Maroon and Lucic would take from him at this point in their careers. But getting guys like Puljarvi, Slepyshev, LD etc.. could sure soak in a lot.

I wonder if a guy like Lander would take anything away from working with Smyth? It's not like Smyth is much bigger than Lander, but if Smyth could teach Lander to play big it could go a long way.

Maroon could still learn some good tricks. Not like hes a 10 year vet or anything, really only his ~5th full year in the league. Lucic could maybe regain his warrior ways, seems uninspired a lot of nights

Lander and Khaira could be biggest benefactors of him as if they could learn 10% of his old ability down low they could be good depth players

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

1htke1.jpg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What does seem odd is that they described this as "a very part time" position. Not sure exactly what that means. I would assume that Gretzky has a very part time position as he lives in LA and isn't here all the time yet his job wasn't described that way. Smytty lives here so there shouldn't be much preventing him from being around the team, yet it's mentioned that there may be some issue with how much time he wants to commit to the job. I just find that part really odd. Was he hoping for something more substantial and unsure if he wants what he got?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maroon could still learn some good tricks. Not like hes a 10 year vet or anything, really only his ~5th full year in the league. Lucic could maybe regain his warrior ways, seems uninspired a lot of nights

Lander and Khaira could be biggest benefactors of him as if they could learn 10% of his old ability down low they could be good depth players

Maroon - I really don't have an issue with his play at this point.

Lucic - This is Lucic. The biggest problem for Lucic and any other big guy, is they can't play like a warrior every night. It just wears them.

I remember suggestions while still being an Oiler that maybe the OEG should just give Smyth a job within the company to work at all levels. WHL, AHL and NHL. I even think a guy like Moreau would have value at the Junior ranks. Someone needs to be there to show these kids just because you are the hot **** in Junior doesn't mean you'll have a pro career, if you don't learn to adapt.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
The guy is first class. Bleeds Oilers and is a legend.
Oilers take care of their own, its something to be proud of.
In this salary cap age you sign all the staff you need plus all the big names, builds the culture and club. And I also think he knows a few things about tipping pucks. Give him a raise Katz!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
What does seem odd is that they described this as "a very part time" position. Not sure exactly what that means. I would assume that Gretzky has a very part time position as he lives in LA and isn't here all the time yet his job wasn't described that way. Smytty lives here so there shouldn't be much preventing him from being around the team, yet it's mentioned that there may be some issue with how much time he wants to commit to the job. I just find that part really odd. Was he hoping for something more substantial and unsure if he wants what he got?

From what I heard Gretzky moved here. He said it in an interview when the Oilers first brought him on. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought his intent was to stay in the city. Not live in LA.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
From what I heard Gretzky moved here. He said it in an interview when the Oilers first brought him on. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought his intent was to stay in the city. Not live in LA.

I didn't know Gretzky had moved here. Still curious why they're calling Smyth's position "very part-time".

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I didn't know Gretzky had moved here. Still curious why they're calling Smyth's position "very part-time".

Unless someone has an article that says otherwise, I heard in one of his interviews that yes, his family didn't care for the winters here, but they wanted to be in a community again and in LA, there is no community. He didn't want to do this remotely. I'll look it up when I have more time. But like I said, if I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

that sounds odd, maybe he split with his wife or something.

no matter. none of my business.

good for Smyth. we've complained a lot over the last few years about the team not giving 100% effort and having no heart. be good to have someone like Smyth around the young guys to mentor them.

drewshoo

Feb 26, 2014
Lethbridge
Gretzky

I believe Wayne said they will be getting a home here and splitting time between here and LA which makes sense.

Also, every single team in the NHL hires former players. This isn't cronyism or anything. Literally every team does this. As IATL said,he wasn't hired to be head coach or any position where it should matter. Not concerned about this at all.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Count me in as a solid meh. I'm not sure how much he'll add to the team, but he's also an Edmonton legend and it's a minor role so it's unlikely to cause any harm.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think people are taking this way too seriously. This is similar to Gretzky situation. Just another way for Katz to pay his friends.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...f-oilers-entertainment-group/article32336184/

I found this and I guess I misheard him in that interview that he is here now, but I do remember him saying that he wants to return back to Edmonton so maybe it's in the plans later for him to move back. :dunno:

Fellow Hall of Famers Mark Messier, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri, Glenn Anderson and Grant Fuhr were all on hand Wednesday. Gretzky’s wife, Janet and four of his five children all accompanied him to the announcement. He said that his family had encouraged him to accept the position. Although he lives in Los Angeles, Gretzky still has a home in Edmonton.

Gretzky said he will not play a role in making personnel decisions and will not serve in any capacity on the ice. He will travel with the team at times but for now he will continue to live in California.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

Its just part time for now, until they move him into the position of "Assistant Acting GM"

Just kidding. I like Smyth, glad he's with the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad