Movies: Ryan Reynolds in “Detective Pikachu”

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Meowth? Him as a cat would be pretty solid.

man-cheetah.gif

34107f441a02d09e416f997cc1ae13cf.jpg

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Some of the set pieces were downright clever. Middle half was good.

Kids backstory could have been handled better, more seamlessly streamlined into the story.

Also Ryan Reynolds at the end was great.

Reactions: kihei

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's hard to really judge this movie.

On the one hand, it did a good job keeping true to the franchise. All the Pokemon were immediately recognizable, and some of the established rules/tropes of the world were held up in the film (Police working side-by-side with Growlithe, for example).

But just about everything else about it was just...bad. The pace was off in the beginning, jumping from one scene to the next in an obvious effort to get to the Pikachu introduction quicker. The acting was godawful, as was the writing. Ryan Reynolds' quick one liners can't rescue the bland performances by the lead human characters.

Overall, I'd love for them to try again. But for an actual Pokemon movie. None of the detective stuff. Just a coming of age tale of a new trainer picking his partner and exploring the Pokemon world.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fun, imaginative and moves right along. For once or present Pokemon lovers (and their parents :D) this is a movie that will bring back some fond memories.

Reactions: Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad