Confirmed with Link: Ryan Poehling resigned 2 years 1.9 million AAV

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Where do you think Cates will bounce back to ? He is and always has been a 4th line LW . He got propped up last year and collected a bunch of assists playing with Kony etc .... Pp time , open net chances , 17 mins a night etc ...

He was a .6 ppg thru college and did not go in as a true freshman . He is not an offensive player he is a PKer and possible shut down guy but can lack speed for even that .

Think Hathaway without the stupid antics .
Cates is a complementary player like Lindlbom pre-cancer, but more valuable.
He flashed at LW with Frost two years ago, showed he could be a shutdown center defensively last year.
Think he had a bad foot before he got injured this year, skating much better since he returned.

Didn't hurt to try him at center, and I could see him centering a checking line with a lead in the third period. But best spot is LW with a playmaking center where he does the dirty work in the corners and around the net and knows when to cycle back for the D-men.

He's not a great shooter or playmaker, but has great hands in a crowd when it comes to retaining and retrieving pucks, high IQ, will get better as he gets stronger the next few years b/c he has to play in the dirty areas for maximum value.

Cates - Poehling - Lycksell 4th line next year sign me up

Laughton Hathaway Nicky D thanks for your service
Lycksell is a LW, look for Tuomaala to get a long look at RW sometime next season, fast, squat body and playing more physical - look forward to watching him two nights in a row to gauge his improvement.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Hathaway and Deslaurier definitely gotta go. Poehling Is young enough and fast enough to not be a complete detriment on the ice.

Reactions: Larry44

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Poehling is a prime age high end N-S skater, with functional skills, who can actually play up in a 3rd line role if needed, with C/W optionality. Nothing makes me want to stab my eyeballs out like signing 30+ 4th liners, who can only play on the 4th line, and to multi-year contracts yet.

Straight up, signing Poehling last summer was a solid low risk move. This contract is low risk. If the Flyers can replicate the process that led to depth like Poehling and Walker, it would be night and day from previous eras/errors. Can they? Not betting on it.....but hey.
Maybe they are improving at clearing the lowest of hurdles.

iu

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
He flashed at LW with Frost two years ago, showed he could be a shutdown center defensively last year.
Think he had a bad foot before he got injured this year, skating much better since he returned.

Didn't hurt to try him at center, and I could see him centering a checking line with a lead in the third period. But best spot is LW with a playmaking center where he does the dirty work in the corners and around the net and knows when to cycle back for the D-men.

He's not a great shooter or playmaker, but has great hands in a crowd when it comes to retaining and retrieving pucks, high IQ, will get better as he gets stronger the next few years b/c he has to play in the dirty areas for maximum value.

Lycksell is a LW, look for Tuomaala to get a long look at RW sometime next season, fast, squat body and playing more physical - look forward to watching him two nights in a row to gauge his improvement.
Not that it matters but every site I’ve seen, including the flyers have him listed as rw

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

I take any of your player evaluation as complete crap . You have proven nothing in the past and it continues today .

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Amorgus and Tripod

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I don't think so? :laugh:

I liked the Poehling signing in the summer. Then you have contracts like Couturier (pre-back) and Sanheim, which I thought were great contracts, just a question of overall plan. I had only positive things to say about Ellis too (lmao). I definitely wasn't critical about Farabee. Even Tippett's contract today, I thought I was pretty restrained about, even if the term gives me pause.

Now, when was the last time I fell to my knees laughing -- in a good way -- at a Flyers transaction? I'd have to think.
Couts first long contract was a steal the day he signed it

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hathaway and Deslaurier definitely gotta go. Poehling Is young enough and fast enough to not be a complete detriment on the ice.
Deslauriers is pretty useless, except when he has a lot of rest, has to have fresh legs to do anything - when he loses a stride he's total garbage.

Hathaway has looked solid paired with Poehling, for some reason everyone looks bad this year with Laughton at center - which is why I think there's a lingering injury with Laughton, but the lack of centers have kept him in the lineup. Hopefully the Allstar break will help him heal.

Reactions: IronMarshal

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
It’s a two year deal. It makes me happy.

He does provide some roster versatility as well, which is about as much as you can hope for someone you’re pencilling in as a 4C

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah, but they won't all continue to be is what I'm saying.
Are you saying time continues to move forward and that change is inevitable?

Solid signing. Works hard and has a solid hockey IQ. Only 25, so I don't see him at a #4C ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad