Confirmed with Link: Ryan Poehling resigned 2 years 1.9 million AAV

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
While the team has struggled, Poehling has actually payed at a 3C level the last fifteen games.

So this allows them to evaluate whether that's a SSS or a sign he's picking up his game, he has speed, some skill, was a 1st rd pick. A good example of buying low and picking up a useful player for no assets.

If he's a late bloomer, they come back in two years and extend him, if he settles back into being a solid 4th liner he fills that hole for two years at which time they can revisit his deal.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Poehling is a prime age high end N-S skater, with functional skills, who can actually play up in a 3rd line role if needed, with C/W optionality. Nothing makes me want to stab my eyeballs out like signing 30+ 4th liners, who can only play on the 4th line, and to multi-year contracts yet.

Straight up, signing Poehling last summer was a solid low risk move. This contract is low risk. If the Flyers can replicate the process that led to depth like Poehling and Walker, it would be night and day from previous eras/errors. Can they? Not betting on it.....but hey.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Poehling is a prime age high end N-S skater, with functional skills, who can actually play up in a 3rd line role if needed, with C/W optionality. Nothing makes me want to stab my eyeballs out like signing 30+ 4th liners, who can only play on the 4th line, and to multi-year contracts yet.

Straight up, signing Poehling last summer was a solid low risk move. This contract is low risk. If the Flyers can replicate the process that led to depth like Poehling and Walker, it would be night and day from previous eras/errors. Can they? Not betting on it.....but hey.
They also managed to get Rizzo out of TDA.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who may or may not sign. And who may or may not be an NHL player. That's not really what I was talking about.
Addition by subtraction, and the NCAA leader in points, even if he's 22 (partially due to COVID), is certainly worth a long look.

I think he'll sign this summer, his value only goes down as he ages in college, and why wouldn't you want to sign with a team with the arrow pointing up with a gaping hole at center?

Reactions: renberg

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Meh.

This means they now have 5 guys playing at 4th line levels signed for multiple years. The Flyers really need Deslauriers to be buried/bought out and for Cates and Laughton to bounce back.

Cates
Deslauriers
Hathaway
Laughton
Poehling
Where do you think Cates will bounce back to ? He is and always has been a 4th line LW . He got propped up last year and collected a bunch of assists playing with Kony etc .... Pp time , open net chances , 17 mins a night etc ...

He was a .6 ppg thru college and did not go in as a true freshman . He is not an offensive player he is a PKer and possible shut down guy but can lack speed for even that .

Think Hathaway without the stupid antics .

Reactions: BiggE

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Its been so long since ive seen you have nothing critical at all to say about a Flyers transaction (and rightfully so) that im screenshotting this for posterity lol

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Its been so long since ive seen you have nothing critical at all to say about a Flyers transaction (and rightfully so) that im screenshotting this for posterity lol

I don't think so? :laugh:

I liked the Poehling signing in the summer. Then you have contracts like Couturier (pre-back) and Sanheim, which I thought were great contracts, just a question of overall plan. I had only positive things to say about Ellis too (lmao). I definitely wasn't critical about Farabee. Even Tippett's contract today, I thought I was pretty restrained about, even if the term gives me pause.

Now, when was the last time I fell to my knees laughing -- in a good way -- at a Flyers transaction? I'd have to think.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is a deal I like. Even in a rebuild we need bodies, can be traded I'm sure pretty easily moving forward with this contract if need be. Shocked they didn't give him a thousand years though.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Getting the Tippett deal done is one thing, but get two guys one in one day tells me Danny is preparing to do something

Possibly, but it’s more likely to me that they are just trying to fill the airwaves with something other than the thing that can’t be speculated on.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is a deal I like. Even in a rebuild we need bodies, can be traded I'm sure pretty easily moving forward with this contract if need be. Shocked they didn't give him a thousand years though.

I can definitely see him as a valuable trade piece at next years deadline if the Flyers arent in the playoff hunt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad