Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's a real market deficiency in Hockey that the Leafs are starting to exploit.

Baseball has hitting coaches, fielding coaches, pitching coaches, they break everything down and work on it.

Smart teams would be employing shooting coaches, stickhandling coaches, skating coaches and having them work full time with the team and its prospects.

I'm sure Frankie Bouillon can help Ryan Poehling develop his stick skills, tho

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
There's a real market deficiency in Hockey that the Leafs are starting to exploit.

Baseball has hitting coaches, fielding coaches, pitching coaches, they break everything down and work on it.

Smart teams would be employing shooting coaches, stickhandling coaches, skating coaches and having them work full time with the team and its prospects.

It's not just the Leaf. I know the Oilers had a skating coach for years.

A lots of NHL teams have moved to being actual professional sport team with coaches of every kind to improve (or keep sharp) their players's skills. Even if it's just one or two session in a calendar year.

All but the Habs, who still behave like an amateur sport team where players are left to their own initiative to improve (usually in the off season) or current players try to help the others in the team (like Danault practicing faceoffs with the kids earlier this season). Going by some of the things Leblanc said, the prospects were not even told what to improve at the AHL level under Lefebvre...

Now, Bouchard makes a plan for them and there is a post-season meeting a few months later to check on them. I also believe that he invited a skill coach last year. But the NHL level still looks like an amateur hockey club when it comes to player development.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

Call up Kovalev! Have him teach stick skills to the kids

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Great goal tonight, there might still be hope for him <3

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's not just the Leaf. I know the Oilers had a skating coach for years.

A lots of NHL teams have moved to being actual professional sport team with coaches of every kind to improve (or keep sharp) their players's skills. Even if it's just one or two session in a calendar year.

All but the Habs, who still behave like an amateur sport team where players are left to their own initiative to improve (usually in the off season) or current players try to help the others in the team (like Danault practicing faceoffs with the kids earlier this season). Going by some of the things Leblanc said, the prospects were not even told what to improve at the AHL level under Lefebvre...

Now, Bouchard makes a plan for them and there is a post-season meeting a few months later to check on them. I also believe that he invited a skill coach last year. But the NHL level still looks like an amateur hockey club when it comes to player development.

I used to rant about Habs players being left to their own devices off season, but then I read that NHL teams are not allowed to help train the players , the players have to do it themselves.

Of course no excuse for not having the specialty coaching when they are allowed. Spend the money there and in scouting damn it.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I used to rant about Habs players being left to their own devices off season, but then I read that NHL teams are not allowed to help train the players , the players have to do it themselves.

Of course no excuse for not having the specialty coaching when they are allowed. Spend the money there and in scouting damn it.

They can't train the players in the off-season, but they can give them indications of what to train before the season is over so they can improve those things in the off season. KK, and now Suzuki, looked badly conditioned for year 2, that makes no sense. It's like they were told to bulk-up instead of improving their skating (something KK did in his second off-season with great results) and stickhandling.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Poehling's 19 months older then KK, one has 5 pts in 28 NHL games the other has 61 pts in 152 games.
Both have been essentially what they were projected to be when they were drafted. No point in getting too high or low on them. Not everyone on a team is expected to be a star.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Poehling has improved greatly, but he has a much lower +/- number compared to most of his teammates. Unless he is constantly facing the top line of the other teams, there is still work for him to do in the AHL.

del17

Dec 26, 2015
Poehling ceiling is 3rd line winger. I don’t think has the skills to be a full time nhl center. Still can be a very valuable piece moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad