Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I am very happy with his improved skating technique. His upper body is much more controlled from what I've seen. That leads to better puck control and an unpredictable shot release. He looks like he can jump in the NHL right now.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I am very happy with his improved skating technique. His upper body is much more controlled from what I've seen. That leads to better puck control and an unpredictable shot release. He looks like he can jump in the NHL right now.
When he played in the NHL last year he looked like a guy way out of control. Skating around super fast and with zero control. Obviously trying to impress.
With some seasoning now maybe he will be more ready with his next call up.

One thing I did see in him last year was a guy with some size and speed who could provide some much needed grit to the team. I totally see him as a winger in the NHL.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
When he played in the NHL last year he looked like a guy way out of control. Skating around super fast and with zero control. Obviously trying to impress.
With some seasoning now maybe he will be more ready with his next call up.

One thing I did see in him last year was a guy with some size and speed who could provide some much needed grit to the team. I totally see him as a winger in the NHL.
I think a lot of that lack of control was his excessive movement while skating. Really happy to see that he has worked on that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The really interesting thing to me is when you look at the past and how when we had prospects struggle in the NHL and get sent back to the AHL under He Who Shall Not Be Named, they looked worse, all of them or just about. But now with Bouchard, all of them if not most all look better once they have had time working with Bouchard. It's almost like hiring one guy who NEVER once did the job at ANY level was a bad idea and hiring a guy that has previous experience was a really good idea.

If only some posters had brought up like 1000 times in the Timmins, AHL, prospect threads over the last 7-8 years. :popcorn::cool:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The really interesting thing to me is when you look at the past and how when we had prospects struggle in the NHL and get sent back to the AHL under He Who Shall Not Be Named, they looked worse, all of them or just about. But now with Bouchard, all of them if not most all look better once they have had time working with Bouchard. It's almost like hiring one guy who NEVER once did the job at ANY level was a bad idea and hiring a guy that has previous experience was a really good idea.

If only some posters had brought up like 1000 times in the Timmins, AHL, prospect threads over the last 7-8 years. :popcorn::cool:
Bergevin made a monumental mistake at the very beginning of his tenure by hiring a coach in the AHL that had no plans on developing players.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Really starting to dominate the AHL. One of my favorite stats for him is that he’s only taken one penalty this year. It’s rare for a guy to be so involved in all areas of the ice and not take penalties.

I said this approaching the 2017 draft, and I still believe it, but Poehling reminds me of Ryan O’Reilly but with breakaway speed.

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Really starting to dominate the AHL. One of my favorite stats for him is that he’s only taken one penalty this year. It’s rare for a guy to be so involved in all areas of the ice and not take penalties.

I said this approaching the 2017 draft, and I still believe it, but Poehling reminds me of Ryan O’Reilly but with breakaway speed.

Nice!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A big centre with speed would be a very welcome addition.
Ryan Poehling is the reason we have the AHL and how you can’t ruin a prospect by leaving them to develop on the farm.

Hope he kills it when he makes the jump next year to replace Danault as the 3rd line center.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer when I say this, but Poehling's main struggles in the NHL previously were in his own end.

The center position is a very tough position to play at the NHL level. Because it is such an important position, I would like him to have 1 more year in the AHL to really lock down the position before he's thrown in against top NHL centers.

Having said that, I suppose it's not the end of the world if he plays wing in the NHL, if, as I suspect, center will be too much next year. But since center is so important, like I said, I'd rather him perfect the position in the A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Stall is completely finished, we saw it again tonight, cant backcheck, cant forecheck, he is easily one of the slowest players in the league right now and the way Poehling is playing lately, he is a legit option to center our fourth line in playoffs and maybe even more if Suzuki keeps struggling... I would end Stall's contract right away and would like to see those line for the playoffs:

CaufIeld KK Anderson

Toffoli Danault Gallagher

Drouin Suzuki Armia

Tatar/Byron Poehling Lehkonen

or

Caufield KK Suzuki

Toffoli Poehling Anderson

Drouin/Tatar Danault Gallagher

Tatar/Drouin Evans Armia

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Stall is completely finished, we saw it again tonight, cant backcheck, cant forecheck, he is easily one of the slowest players in the league right now and the way Poehling is playing lately, he is a legit option to center our fourth line in playoffs and maybe even more if Suzuki keeps struggling... I would end Stall's contract right away and would like to see those line for the playoffs:

CaufIeld KK Anderson

Toffoli Danault Gallagher

Drouin Suzuki Armia

Tatar/Byron Poehling Lehkonen

or

Caufield KK Suzuki

Toffoli Poehling Anderson

Drouin/Tatar Danault Gallagher

Tatar/Drouin Evans Armia

Put some respect on Corey Perry's name

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I find this uncontrollable urge to put him at wing really curious. Who are we accommodating, exactly? Jake Evans? Geez...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad