Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Ryan Poehling can now go back to Laval knowing he is not ready and can try and help Laval have a great season
You need an asterisk at the end of your post!

* Ryan Poehling is a 1st round large/skilled center currently in the Montreal Canadiens’ development system... Yes, we’ve tried him as a 4th line winger.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Fair towards being called up but it was a promise so I rather our GM honor it vs pissing him off and he becomes difficult when his ELC expires. I guess it was a call up to replace Kotkaniemi while he was hurt. Pretty clear now and he got a 4 game taste. Now he gets to go back to Laval with a better understanding of what it takes to be a full time NHL'er. I would of had no problems with 10 games like I said before but I guess they rather not put anybody on waivers.

Why in the world would you promise something that a kid like that? And the promise was..what? You'll be called up....but it might just mean 3 games, playing less than 10 minutes a game?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Really, what makes you think that? I've always seen a guy who is likely to carve out an nhl career in the bottom 6. What makes you think he'll be a star? Not saying he can't be, just wondering what you see. I don't think he has near enough offensive skills to become a star. Shot isn't great, puck skills are average at best. Offensive instincts overall seems to be a real weak point IMO.

Hope to be wrong but he was always behind suzuki, brook, kk for me. I don't even think I'd have him in the 4 spot after them 3.

The numbers for Josh Brook don't look great either, but I haven't watched too many AHL games this year. How's he look. I think Romanov could end up the better of them two anyway, but its only early. I just don't see a top 6 player in Poehling, never have.
I actually think he has the hands, body , and speed to succeed and be a star. I dont disagree about SUzuki and KK and even brooks who i see with a very high ceiling .
But i do believe that RP game will translate very well into the Pro's and that his creativity is way underrated.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Fair towards being called up but it was a promise so I rather our GM honor it vs pissing him off and he becomes difficult when his ELC expires. I guess it was a call up to replace Kotkaniemi while he was hurt. Pretty clear now and he got a 4 game taste. Now he gets to go back to Laval with a better understanding of what it takes to be a full time NHL'er. I would of had no problems with 10 games like I said before but I guess they rather not put anybody on waivers.
He was promised to be called up at this very specific time? Bergevin told him you will be called up before you play 15 games in the AHL? And that will be regardless of how good or bad he plays down there??
What are you talking about?.loll
Difficult to sign him after his ELC?? Why?? Because he was promised a call up two years ago? Loll...man are you freaking reaching.

It was a dumb call up, but it falls in line with how they've done it since being here. Call up x or y player, keep him here couple games, send him down. Rinse and Repeat.
Poe has 5pts in 14gp in the AHL, he had no business whatsoever being called up now.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
First, he did not deserved to be called back. They could easily had put Weal back in the lineup on the 4th line and play him 8-10 minutes like they did with Poehling.

Why was he called back ? Because MB said so after the Camp ? To give him some NHL experience ? OR , to clearly show him and make him understand that he did not belong to the NHL just yet ?

A reality check. Didn't hurt the team,but brought nothing by the same token.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was promised to be called up at this very specific time? Bergevin told him you will be called up before you play 15 games in the AHL? And that will be regardless of how good or bad he plays down there??
Difficult to sign him after his ELC?? Why?? Because he was promised a call up two years ago? Loll...man are you freaking reaching.

It was a dumb call up, but it falls in line with how they've done it since being here. Call up x or y player, keep him here couple games, send him down. Rinse and Repeat.
Poe has 5pts in 14gp in the AHL, he had no business whatsoever being called up now.

Kotkaniemi was hurt and we took the opportunity to call him up. Reality. I think this addresses the promise management made with him. Did he deserve it cause he was lighting up the AHL? Not really but he was playing better before the call up vs the beginning of the AHL season.

He got 4 games and now he is likely a bit humbled on his expectations. He got his feet wet with NHL quality of play and now he has something to measure himself against. I'm not upset with it as you are I guess.

Reactions: 1909

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I know it’s been brought up a few times in this thread and the last one but I don’t think Bergevin actually “promised”. He said something along the lines that Poehling needs time to get his game back post-concussion and that “it won’t be long”.

I mean, I suppose it can read as a promise, but I didn’t interpret it like 100% that Ryan will/must be the first call up.

Maybe he did use the word promise in another interview or article, but I haven’t seen it.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I wasn't in agreement with the call-up but it just might be a blessing in disguise. Poehling admitted he wasn't happy about being sent to Laval after pre-season. This most likely affected his attitude and his play. He was called up and even Poehling himself will tell you he didn't play well. If he's the super stud player many were calling him, he'll go down to Laval work on his game and improve. If he doesn't then that means he never had it in him, not that development failed him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kotkaniemi was hurt and we took the opportunity to call him up. Reality. I think this addresses the promise management made with him. Did he deserve it cause he was lighting up the AHL? Not really but he was playing better before the call up vs the beginning of the AHL season.

He got 4 games and now he is likely a bit humbled on his expectations. He got his feet wet with NHL quality of play and now he has something to measure himself against. I'm not upset with it as you are I guess.

First, again, what promise??...The hell are you talking about. Bergevin isn't calling up Poehling just because he said the kid wouldn't stay in the AHL for long...wtf are you on about..lol
Second, the kid wasn't ready. Period.
Third, I'm not upset..it's just par for the course. It's what this dumb organization does. Up and down with the kids they go. Not sure how many more times you need for this to happen to start seeing the pattern..lol
Four, why would Poehling be all golly-positive about it? Didn't he say he doesn't believe his game translates well to the AHL and it's better for the NHL? Maybe he'll be very negative and upset about going back down. I mean deep down, the f*** do you know about what he's truly feeling. Maybe it'll be positive, maybe not, what we do know though is this flip flopping game we've played with prospects over the years has mostly failed.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I know it’s been brought up a few times in this thread and the last one but I don’t think Bergevin actually “promised”. He said something along the lines that Poehling needs time to get his game back post-concussion and that “it won’t be long”.

I mean, I suppose it can read as a promise, but I didn’t interpret it like 100% that Ryan will/must be the first call up.

Maybe he did use the word promise in another interview or article, but I haven’t seen it.
There was no promise...she just needs to paint it that way to have a point. Even if he did make a promise, Bergevin has no obligations towards it. Poehling ain't some magical superstar, he's just another prospect. If he isn't doing well in the AHL, he shouldn't be playing here.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I wasn't in agreement with the call-up but it just might be a blessing in disguise. Poehling admitted he wasn't happy about being sent to Laval after pre-season. This most likely affected his attitude and his play. He was called up and even Poehling himself will tell you he didn't play well. If he's the super stud player many were calling him, he'll go down to Laval work on his game and improve. If he doesn't then that means he never had it in him, not that development failed him.
That was a questionable call up. I don't know the guy obviously but like you said, it seems like he was upset after the pre season. I just hope this serves as a humbling experience and that now he understands that he needs to work on his game and that 1 game was a fluke. I still think it was a mistake and they should have waited until he was playing well in the AHL.

He'll certainly never be the stud 1 C that people were pegging him as after 1 game. It was unrealistic to expect a guy who didn't dominate in college to suddenly transform in the NHL. That doesn't mean he can't develop into an Eller or Danault caliber player. Those guys took a couple years to simmer before breaking out and so will Poehling imo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Euh...why not? Mental psyche is part of the development too. It's not just about learning how to position yourself better, or working on skating, etc.
Maybe the best thing would have been never to give him that taste last year. Or maybe you make it clear for him from day 1 that he isn't starting in the NHL this season.
Some people just need positive reinforcements, not the negative ones. It doesn't mean they ''never had it'', they just respond differently.
No different than trainers in the gym...some people like the bootcamp type who just screams in their ears, asking them if they're a p***y as they struggle doing a last repetition, others like a more cheerleader approach where it's just positive reinforcement, others like neither of those and are just analytical and technical.
They are just different styles and approaches. It's no different here. Poehling undoubtedly has talent to make it to the NHL. It's about finding the right approach to handle him and get him to flourish.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
First, again, what promise??...The hell are you talking about. Bergevin isn't calling up Poehling just because he said the kid wouldn't stay in the AHL for long...wtf are you on about..lol
Second, the kid wasn't ready. Period.
Third, I'm not upset..it's just par for the course. It's what this dumb organization does. Up and down with the kids they go. Not sure how many more times you need for this to happen to start seeing the pattern..lol
Four, why would Poehling be all golly-positive about it? Didn't he say he doesn't believe his game translates well to the AHL and it's better for the NHL? Maybe he'll be very negative and upset about going back down. I mean deep down, the **** do you know about what he's truly feeling. Maybe it'll be positive, maybe not, what we do know though is this flip flopping game we've played with prospects over the years has mostly failed.

Poehling did not make the team out of camp and Bergevin told him he will go to Laval but it won't be for long. I call that a promise.

Already said what I had to say. Not going to engage with you anymore on this topic cause it will result in you insulting me due to a disagreement. Rinse, Recycle, Repeat. I'm here to have conversations/debates with people who are respectful.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There was no promise...she just needs to paint it that way to have a point. Even if he did make a promise, Bergevin has no obligations towards it. Poehling ain't some magical superstar, he's just another prospect. If he isn't doing well in the AHL, he shouldn't be playing here.

Relax. Telling him he will to to Laval and it won't be long is a promise IMO. Why do you feel the need to twist your disagreement into a you vs me topic again? When you going to learn? You are more stubborn than Don Cheery but at least he apologies at times :laugh:. You can flip out again now cause I threw the same BS you spit out back at you.

All you have to do if you disagree is say I don't see it that way. Your style of approach is flawed and very confrontational. Do you like it when I give you advise? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So is this the part where I start tagging people and saying "oh a couple of bad NHL games, I told you he was a bust and a 3,C!!" To try and prove a point, instead of understanding that a young players development is usually up and down and we likely won't have a good handle on who he is as a NHL player until his third pro season?

As quickly as the itoadaso can come, they can go.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Relax. Telling him he will to to Laval and it won't be long is a promise IMO. Why do you feel the need to twist your disagreement into a you vs me topic again? When you going to learn? You are more stubborn than Don Cheery but at least he apologies at times :laugh:. You can flip out again now cause I threw the same BS you spit out back at you.

All you have to do if you disagree is say I don't see it that way. Your style of approach is flawed and very confrontational. Do you like it when I give you advise? :sarcasm:

I'm sorry my ways are too forward for you.
Back to the topic at hand, no, what Bergevin said wasn't a promise. Most logical and rational people would also took it as ''it goes without saying'' for him to be called up, he'd have to actually play well.
This was not some conditioning stint in the AHL for a proven player.

There was no promise, there was no reason to call him up either. It was dumb. That's all there is to it.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So is this the part where I start tagging people and saying "oh a couple of bad NHL games, I told you he was a bust and a 3,C!!" To try and prove a point, instead of understanding that a young players development is usually up and down and we likely won't have a good handle on who he is as a NHL player until his third pro season?

Since when is getting a good 3C with a late first a bust?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sorry my ways are too forward for you.
Back to the topic at hand, no, what Bergevin said wasn't a promise. Most logical and rational people would also took it as ''it goes without saying'' for him to be called up, he'd have to actually play well.
This was not some conditioning stint in the AHL for a proven player.

There was no promise, there was no reason to call him up either. It was dumb. That's all there is to it.

I don't agree with you. Telling him that you will go to the AHL but not for long and then calling him up as the 1st call up when we had an injury is honoring a promise. You disagree and you think it's forward thinking? :sarcasm:

If I dig into it deeper... I think you just don't like that he was called up based on his AHL play. But not sure how you don't see him being called up is honoring a promise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

100% agree that we won't know how good/bad any of the 20 or under kids are until we get a decent sample size. What they have done before turning Pro means nothing now. They are now playing against men and require adjustments, maturity, and gaining physical strength. Usually the elite level ones shine a bit earlier in the process.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I don't agree with you. Telling him that you will go to the AHL but not for long and then calling him up as the 1st call up when we had an injury is honoring a promise. You disagree and you think it's forward thinking? :sarcasm:

If I dig into it deeper... I think you just don't like that he was called up based on his AHL play. But not sure how you don't see him being called up is honoring a promise.
I expect it to snow tomorrow. Is that a promise that it will snow tomorrow?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok. It won’t be long before KK is healthy enough to play. Still not a promise.

Not the same man. Poehling was very upset when he found out he was not making the team out of camp. It was a face to face meeting and he was told to go to Laval but it won't be for long. We made him the 1st call up when we had an injury. I call that honoring a promise. You don't have to agree and your examples are not going to change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad