Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think he is fine with playing 4th line, being around the big club with our vets, making a NHL salary, and learning how to adjust to the pro game. He knows he has to earn his spot and he is far from being a selfish player.

I think we need to give him a few more games before we pretend to know what's best for him as fans. He is in good hands with our coaches and vets on our team.

How is he in good hands? The development track record of the Bergevin regime has been spotty at best.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Meh he had some minutes to prove he was ready. He did not show that he was ready thus far and was sent down. I don't see this as a big deal. Kid needs to get better and hopefully will.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
did we trade him for Kovalchuk yet? I would expect that he becomes a very good 3rd line centre, needs time in the AHL

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I disagree with most of you guys, I think the recall with limited ice time was fine. To me it wasn't a question of rushing him, he was upset to be sent down and wasn't playing up to what was expected of him, probably thinking he was ready for the NHL. After the last few games, it's clear to everyone that he's not, maybe he'll accept his demotion better and start working better in Laval. Not everybody is the same, some people need that reality check, and that's totally fine.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think he is fine with playing 4th line, being around the big club with our vets, making a NHL salary, and learning how to adjust to the pro game. He knows he has to earn his spot and he is far from being a selfish player.

I think we need to give him a few more games before we pretend to know what's best for him as fans. He is in good hands with our coaches and vets on our team.

Does that work both ways though? So I shouldn't pretend that it wasn't good for him...but you can pretend that it was?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I disagree with most of you guys, I think the recall with limited ice time was fine. To me it wasn't a question of rushing him, he was upset to be sent down and wasn't playing up to what was expected of him, probably thinking he was ready for the NHL. After the last few games, it's clear to everyone that he's not, maybe he'll accept his demotion better and start working better in Laval. Not everybody is the same, some people need that reality check, and that's totally fine.
I'm glad he got called up this year however the timing and reasoning for it was questionable. I hope now we can temper our expectations a bit and give him time to develop properly.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does that work both ways though? So I shouldn't pretend that it wasn't good for him...but you can pretend that it was?

Hey, you are entitled to your own opinion. Not going to jump on your back for it. Lets talk about it when he hits 10 games and see what his usage is and how he has grown. Right now, he is in a adjustment period and I'm fine with it. But if he struggles and we keep him put where he is right now, I don't think that's smart. I also think the coaches are looking at this closely though. It's only fair to let him grow in the role he is in and I say the 10 game mark is a better time to talk about his usage and development. Not game 4.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hey, you are entitled to your own opinion. Not going to jump on your back for it. Lets talk about it when he hits 10 games and see what his usage is and how he has grown. Right now, he is in a adjustment period and I'm fine with it. But if he struggles and we keep him put where he is right now, I don't think that's smart. I also think the coaches are looking at this closely though. It's only fair to let him grow in the role he is in and I say the 10 game mark is a better time to talk about his usage and development. Not game 4.

It's all about not having done enough to be called up. It's about saying that you will based your decisions on merit...and not do it. It's about putting your guys, rookies or vets, in a position to succeed. It's about understanding that your rookie needed more seasoning before he'd be in a position to feel that the guy is finally so huge between his 3-goal performance and him not be able to be visible. It's all about understanding and adapting to each player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's all about not having done enough to be called up. It's about saying that you will based your decisions on merit...and not do it. It's about putting your guys, rookies or vets, in a position to succeed. It's about understanding that your rookie needed more seasoning before he'd be in a position to feel that the guy is finally so huge between his 3-goal performance and him not be able to be visible. It's all about understanding and adapting to each player.

Fair towards being called up but it was a promise so I rather our GM honor it vs pissing him off and he becomes difficult when his ELC expires. I guess it was a call up to replace Kotkaniemi while he was hurt. Pretty clear now and he got a 4 game taste. Now he gets to go back to Laval with a better understanding of what it takes to be a full time NHL'er. I would of had no problems with 10 games like I said before but I guess they rather not put anybody on waivers.

Jul 6, 2016
First, he did not deserved to be called back. They could easily had put Weal back in the lineup on the 4th line and play him 8-10 minutes like they did with Poehling.

Why was he called back ? Because MB said so after the Camp ? To give him some NHL experience ? OR , to clearly show him and make him understand that he did not belong to the NHL just yet ?

Reactions: angusyoung

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I thought that he would thrive in the NHL but I guess that I was wrong again but hey, let's continue with Cousins and Weal and company because it works as we have seen in the past.:sarcasm:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He honestly didn’t deserve the call up. He wasn’t playing all that well in the ahl. Vejdemo and Hudon have looked better. Laval has actually won most of their games on this current streak without Poehling, Barber or Varone. Add to that, Mccarron is doing nothing except being a goon and showing why he’s a huge bust. This all makes their streak even more amazing.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Players like Poehling need the icetime to be in the flow of the game, Habs are in the fortunate position of having many great prospects that all need icetime, quality icetime against pro's. The AHL icetime Poehling gets will have him ready for the NHL playoffs, IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Practice, practice & more practice, more importantly Icetime.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is what concerns me about management, did they not watch him in Laval or even worse did they watch him and still think it was a good idea to call him up just a couple games after he was benched for a brutal turnover right behind his goalie that led to a game tying goal against. From Bouchard's comments about him before he was called up, I would be surprised if he was in favor of the move, which again makes you wonder WTF they are doing if he was against the call up.

I know some can't stand to hear people question or say bad things about management and we have enough threads to deal with any other issues anyone feels they want to discuss but this thread is just about Poehling. I know some were saying that when he got called up he wouldn't return to the AHL again and I thought that was unlikely as calling up a prospect when he's not playing well in the AHL just sounds really stupid to me.

Reactions: DangerDave

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is what concerns me about management, did they not watch him in Laval or even worse did they watch him and still think it was a good idea to call him up just a couple games after he was benched for a brutal turnover right behind his goalie that led to a game tying goal against. From Bouchard's comments about him before he was called up, I would be surprised if he was in favor of the move, which again makes you wonder WTF they are doing if he was against the call up.

I know some can't stand to hear people question or say bad things about management and we have enough threads to deal with any other issues anyone feels they want to discuss but this thread is just about Poehling. I know some were saying that when he got called up he wouldn't return to the AHL again and I thought that was unlikely as calling up a prospect when he's not playing well in the AHL just sounds really stupid to me.

Do you think the 4 NHL games hurts him though? I can see it being a situation where he gets his feet wet and he knows what he needs to work at in Laval now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Players like Poehling need the icetime to be in the flow of the game, Habs are in the fortunate position of having many great prospects that all need icetime, quality icetime against pro's. The AHL icetime Poehling gets will have him ready for the NHL playoffs, IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Practice, practice & more practice, more importantly Icetime.

Intensity is what he needs to work at. Go to Laval now with those 4 NHL games under the belt (5 including last year) and work at being a dominate center that makes quick decisions with the puck.

He is already a strong 20 year old. I would like to seem him work hard at power skating and edge work. You need an edge on the competition if you want to stand out as a impact player. Being able to separate yourself from tight spaces is certainly something he can improve at

Reactions: S Bah

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I thought that he would thrive in the NHL but I guess that I was wrong again but hey, let's continue with Cousins and Weal and company because it works as we have seen in the past.:sarcasm:
Cousins is actually pretty good. He isn't slow like Agostino or Chaput, or small like Weal. And he is putting up points. You can't have a team made exclusively of flashy guys like Drouin or Domi.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Cousins is actually pretty good. He isn't slow like Agostino or Chaput, or small like Weal. And he is putting up points. You can't have a team made exclusively of flashy guys like Drouin or Domi.
We need a few more flashy talented guys in my opinion and we will likely need to draft them. The Cousins and Weal types can only take us so far.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Do you think the 4 NHL games hurts him though? I can see it being a situation where he gets his feet wet and he knows what he needs to work at in Laval now.

it's impossible to know what goes on in someones head or how they will react to disappointment. Confidence imo is a very important part of hockey and messing with it is never a good idea. Hopefully he starts playing the way I know he can.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We need a few more flashy talented guys in my opinion and we will likely need to draft them. The Cousins and Weal types can only take us so far.
Yeah hopefully KK and Nature of Things become two more. Maybe Norlinder one day too on the back end, pus Mete of course.

Reactions: OldCraig71

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That is not an excuse, these are above decent 4th line players, and suzuki shined with them. SO sorry i love ryan and think he will become a star, but he showed he aint ready yet
Really, what makes you think that? I've always seen a guy who is likely to carve out an nhl career in the bottom 6. What makes you think he'll be a star? Not saying he can't be, just wondering what you see. I don't think he has near enough offensive skills to become a star. Shot isn't great, puck skills are average at best. Offensive instincts overall seems to be a real weak point IMO.

Hope to be wrong but he was always behind suzuki, brook, kk for me. I don't even think I'd have him in the 4 spot after them 3.

The numbers for Josh Brook don't look great either, but I haven't watched too many AHL games this year. How's he look. I think Romanov could end up the better of them two anyway, but its only early. I just don't see a top 6 player in Poehling, never have.

Jul 6, 2016

The problem is his state of mind. When he was sent down after the main Camp, he was pissed off and lost for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, he is going to react positively this time around.

I would like to see a bit more energy/drive from KK, he looks a bit underwhelming to me.

We will see soon if it was because of his injury or something else.

Really, what makes you think that? I've always seen a guy who is likely to carve out an nhl career in the bottom 6. What makes you think he'll be a star? Not saying he can't be, just wondering what you see. I don't think he has near enough offensive skills to become a star. Shot isn't great, puck skills are average at best. Offensive instincts overall seems to be a real weak point IMO.

Hope to be wrong but he was always behind suzuki, brook, kk for me. I don't even think I'd have him in the 4 spot after them 3.

The numbers for Josh Brook don't look great either, but I haven't watched too many AHL games this year. How's he look. I think Romanov could end up the better of them two anyway, but its only early. I just don't see a top 6 player in Poehling, never have.

If Poehling could become a good "Eller", that would be already something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad