Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6 - Recalled to the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah, with the way Fleury and Suzuki look in real game action, impossible to say Poehling could deal with the speed of the game.

Still he got a hatty in a real game last year. I look forward to seeing how he fits in.

Was not much of a real game though. Both teams could not lose or gain any position in the standings. The game meant zero for both teams. They were basically playing for pride.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Was not much of a real game though. Both teams could not lose or gain any position in the standings. The game meant zero for both teams. They were basically playing for pride.

I think Toronto could have improved their chances oh having home ice in the 2nd round and or conference finals.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is no good. Poehling should go down to Adirondack to get top minutes and PP and PK time. Then when he gets his confidence back, call him up to play with Tatar and Gallagher. Danault can take his place in Adirondack and Domi can move to LW so that Suzuki can play 2nd line C and Kotkaniemi can finally get 13 minutes as 3C.

:sarcasm:

I think he should go in the LNAH to be sure to get top minutes. It's important that he plays over 20 minutes a night.

I called it when people wanted to send everyone down including Mete, Juulsen, JK, ... that they would not play top minutes over AHL vets. This team is what it is. You don't teach new tricks to an old dog.

Reactions: KKWG11

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Evans was an order of magnitude better than Poehling in the last Rocket game. He was better than anyone else on the ice, actually.
Do you think Evans would look better with Hudon and Belzile or Byron and Weal? How about Lehkonen and Armia?

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Do you think Evans would look better with Hudon and Belzile or Byron and Weal? How about Lehkonen and Armia?

Personal view? Evans was driving his line and stood out because his linemates' weren't up to his performance and IQ level in that game - despite them being at the top of Laval's depth chart at wing. RP wasn't having the same "catalyst" effect, albeit in a small sample size. To your question, Evans would benefit from muscle on his line if he was going to get a call up whereas RP would bring the muscle with him.

I guess my overall point is that Evans is making a very solid case to be the "5C" and first call up; posters already pencilling RP in as our 2C etc need to realise that he's got a lot of depth chart to climb yet despite his clear potential for years to come.

Jul 6, 2016
The NHL is a better league to play in when your on the cusp like poehling because emotions drive you because of the spotlight.. something poehling really benefits from.

If you cannot show a pulse at AHL level, how can you do it at NHL level ? Let's close the whole AHL league and affiliate clubs and go with NFL type rosters, then .

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I guess my overall point is that Evans is making a very solid case to be the "5C" and first call up; posters already pencilling RP in as our 2C etc need to realise that he's got a lot of depth chart to climb yet despite his clear potential for years to come.

I think this is because Evans is more of a real center potentially 3c or 4c, and that Poehling's best path to top-6 status is on the wing. I don't think he is creative enough to be a top-2 line C in the NHL even though his skill set is a tremendous thing to have on the club.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think this is because Evans is more of a real center potentially 3c or 4c, and that Poehling's best path to top-6 status is on the wing. I don't think he is creative enough to be a top-2 line C in the NHL even though his skill set is a tremendous thing to have on the club.

could really use a Poehling in our top 6. I've been saying that for awhile that I think he ultimately could end up a winger.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's early and this could be his first concussion, so perhaps he just has to shake off the rust and then he'll start to feel more comfortable out there. He did have some nice passes at least, which is one of his best assets, really hope at some point they adjust the lines though.

Reactions: dralaf

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Poehling reminds me of the old smoothie (Jean Ratelle NYR/Bruin center), he can play the game whichever way they want. He's truly a Hab through & through(Winner!!!) Habs are a playoff team and have numerous prospects to add when the real season starts. Make your bets early but beware the Avalanche/Sakic.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Imagine defending Danault in the top 6 then coming up with this.

Coherence, not even once.
Yes because Poehling is half the player the Danault is, right? You've been wrong on just about everything when it comes to Habs prospects and players. There's a very good chance Poehling is never going to be as good as Danault and its a certainty he's not right now.
If it's an unearned gift I agree. If the player earns it, why not?
If he earns it, of course.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Why are so many criticizing Poehling's play when he just had a major injury?
I wouldn't categorize the injury as "major". But you're right it could have set him back.
Regardless the statement stands. He needs to do well in the AHL. A lot of players let their guard down when sent down. It's no cakewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad