Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6 - Recalled to the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes because Poehling is half the player the Danault is, right? You've been wrong on just about everything when it comes to Habs prospects and players. There's a very good chance Poehling is never going to be as good as Danault and its a certainty he's not right now.
Poehling already has better offensive creativity and shooting than Dunno, I have no doubt in my mind hes going to settle as a better offensive player. His defensive game still needs work and he needs to get used to the pro game.

Also, stop claiming Ive been wrong when I haven't, its annoying.

You can see the extent of my hockey knowledge on the ice of the Bell MTS for 20+ minutes a night, though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't categorize the injury as "major". But you're right it could have set him back.
Regardless the statement stands. He needs to do well in the AHL. A lot of players let their guard down when sent down. It's no cakewalk.

a concussion needs to be seen as major as they still don't know enough about them. I'm no doctor but I have done a lot of research on company that I invested heavily in that is working with the department of defense in the US, the Roskamp Institute and the NFL on TBI and how to reduce it through an anti-inflammatory using an natural occurring alkaloid anatabine. They seem to be just starting to understand what goes on with a concussion and it's impact but still aren't doing enough.

So it's hard to say what impact it has a young player.

Reactions: Trash Man

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
At least people are tempering their expectations after penciling him in as our 2C after one game as a pro last year.

There will be ups and downs this year, he's better off figuring it out in the AHL at least for half a season, especially if Bouchard is the development savant he's spoken as.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
At least people are tempering their expectations after penciling him in as our 2C after one game as a pro last year.

There will be ups and downs this year, he's better off figuring it out in the AHL at least for half a season, especially if Bouchard is the development savant he's spoken as.
He could easily be a 2c. Size skating strength shot passing and I.q to play how the coach needs ya too. Sure he needs a little time to adjust to the NHL game but only a select few don't. And even they kinda did so...

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
a concussion needs to be seen as major as they still don't know enough about them. I'm no doctor but I have done a lot of research on company that I invested heavily in that is working with the department of defense in the US, the Roskamp Institute and the NFL on TBI and how to reduce it through an anti-inflammatory using an natural occurring alkaloid anatabine. They seem to be just starting to understand what goes on with a concussion and it's impact but still aren't doing enough.

So it's hard to say what impact it has a young player.
It's when your brain goes lights out and can't coordinate your body thoughts etc. It's the worst type of injury and one that almost every professional athlete has had.

And no its not hard to say what type of impacts it has on a young ( or any age ) player. The facts are simple, without applying drugs ( or medicine ) to one's body and brain likely altering this humans development and biological evolution over the course of many years *mostly* due to profit research and development ( like the anti inflammatory you mention ), high contact sports and their side affects mentally impact thousands of family members, disable and or create long lasting joint and cardiovascular diseases.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He could easily be a 2c. Size skating strength shot passing and I.q to play how the coach needs ya too. Sure he needs a little time to adjust to the NHL game but only a select few don't. And even they kinda did so...

I question his shot, it's not terrible but it's not very good either and he doesn't shoot anywhere near enough so teams are going to key on that until he changes it enough to keep them honest.

It's when your brain goes lights out and can't coordinate your body thoughts etc. It's the worst type of injury and one that almost every professional athlete has had.

And no its not hard to say what type of impacts it has on a young ( or any age ) player. The facts are simple, without applying drugs ( or medicine ) to one's body and brain likely altering this humans development and biological evolution over the course of many years *mostly* due to profit research and development ( like the anti inflammatory you mention ), high contact sports and their side affects mentally impact thousands of family members, disable and or create long lasting joint and cardiovascular diseases.

I meant how dealing with the symptoms effects each young person differently in that you are just starting your pro career so you don't know what kind of thoughts are going through their heads as, how much damage is this doing to me, is this really what I want to subject myself to, how long can I play if this happens several times, etc... Not saying he is thinking that just that we don't know how anyone would react. I know in the NFL they are having a real problem with players retiring at very early ages so I'm sure they are thinking these things at least.

I just wonder how Poehling and others feel about it in those first few games back. It's got to be hard not to think about it since it's been so much more in the news at least on the NFL side that you have to wonder if it effects the way the play or the way they think the game.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Good thing most people in this thread have Suzuki on the wing.

This is actually a big dilemma tbh. To me, Suzuki clearly plays better at C, it fits his game better (smart/good 2way, good reads/ahead of the play, more puck control which plays to his strengths etc.). I wanna see my wingers either have strong puck protection or forecheck hard/be a puck hound, which isn't Suzuki's game.

So what do we do? We either trade 1 of our centers (Danault makes the most sense here) but I don't like that, Danault is extremely useful and he brings something we don't have.

The most logical move is to eventually move Domi to the wing to play with either Suzuki/KK at C... or you trade Suzuki for a high quality LD.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Eventually, Domi to the wings. Kotkaniemi and Suzuki our first 2 C's. Danault, perfect 3rd line C. Caufield would shine with either Kotka or Suzuki as his centermen.
I really suspect this obsession some have with moving Domi to LW is connected to Galchenyuk being played there. If we drafted Domi ourselves and the GM called him a C, everyone would be ga-ga right now with him having scored 72 points last year and staying at 1.0 ppg this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling?

We need 4 lines anyways. Thompson gets 13:44.

We'll have 4 of Domi, KK, Suzuki, Poehling, and Danault as our 4 centers. We just need to find out the 1 player who's best on the wing, yet also doesn't hurt us the most when taken away from playing C.

I have no idea who that will be. I thought it was Suzuki. But he may be much better at C.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
We need 4 lines anyways. Thompson gets 13:44.

We'll have 4 of Domi, KK, Suzuki, Poehling, and Danault as our 4 centers. We just need to find out the 1 player who's best on the wing, yet also doesn't hurt us the most when taken away from playing C.

I have no idea who that will be. I thought it was Suzuki. But he may be much better at C.
Poehling is the one we could afford to try at wing imo. People see his size and overall play and think center but his game is very well-suited for the wing.

Reactions: Hins77 and 26Mats

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Poehling is the one we could afford to try at wing imo. People see his size and overall play and think center but his game is very well-suited for the wing.
I think BOTH Suzuki and Poehling should play wing. Poehling will bring size, speed and net presence to a top-2 line. Suzuki can be more opportunistic as a winger rather than a C.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think BOTH Suzuki and Poehling should play wing. Poehling will bring size, speed and net presence to a top-2 line. Suzuki can be more opportunistic as a winger rather than a C.

In April 2020:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Poehling Domi Caufield
Drouin Kotkaniemi Suzuki
Lehkonen/Cousins Thompson/Weal Armia/Byron

Reactions: Andrei79

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I really don’t agree with developing Poehling on the wing. He’s one of our bigger players that are NHL ready, has the mobility, skill and size combination that makes developing him at centre crucial. Centre is the most valuable position and when you have a player like Poehling that has the tools he does, along with his physical maturity, it doesn’t make sense to develop him at wing imo.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I really don’t agree with developing Poehling on the wing. He’s one of our bigger players that are NHL ready, has the mobility, skill and size combination that makes developing him at centre crucial. Centre is the most valuable position and when you have a player like Poehling that has the tools he does, along with his physical maturity, it doesn’t make sense to develop him at wing imo.
I think they have him at Centre in Laval

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Well, considering Bouchard is the coach and he’s not stupid, that makes sense.
What I meant is that because of a hypothetical logjam at the position, Poehling would be the less affected by playing on the wing because he's already got the most aptitudes relating to playing the position at a NHL level. The "playing away from the puck" part coaches love. I dont think he'd lose these abilities for the short period management figures who to ship out. Suzuki, Domi and Kotka need to play there because it maximizes their assets that are elite which are their vision and their creativity. Their intelligence with the puck. They need to have it on their stick and be the offensive pivot on their line.
Hence, the next best option for a move to the wing would be Domi, then Kotka, then Suzuki. Btw, NS has the best defensive IQ by far, higher than Poehling imo. I understand why he admires and emulates Bergeron. You see it when he plays, his reads are excellent. I feel we need to develop him at center because he has the highest upside as an elite two-way center. Yup, I dared say it : Suzuki makes me think of Patrice Bergeron and in my mind he legitimately has that ceiling.

Reactions: G0bias

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
From what I’ve seen on a lesser extent during his games or live at the PB, he’s off the charts as a C. Nothing and nothing gonna convince me to put Poehling in another position. He’s born to be there. And period...

Reactions: 26Mats and dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad