Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6 - Recalled to the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I really don’t agree with developing Poehling on the wing. He’s one of our bigger players that are NHL ready, has the mobility, skill and size combination that makes developing him at centre crucial. Centre is the most valuable position and when you have a player like Poehling that has the tools he does, along with his physical maturity, it doesn’t make sense to develop him at wing imo.

From what I’ve seen on a lesser extent during his games or live at the PB, he’s off the charts as a C. Nothing and nothing gonna convince me to put Poehling in another position. He’s born to be there. And period...

All true.

But who goes to the wing? We can't have 5 centers (Domi, KK, Poehling, Suzuki, and Danault).

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Suzuki was a center in junior and started on wing here and hes doing fine. Maybe in 1 year or 2, hes gonna back at center. For Poehling can do the same

Reactions: Andrei79 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And Poehling doesnt have that potential?

I'm just saying it's a hard problem - a good hard problem though...

I don't have my comparable yet for Poehling. I had heard the Suzuki-O'Reilly comparison in the summer. But watching O'Reilly come back tonight and the way Suzuki comes back when he's at C, I see the comparison. Plus, both are about 5'11 and not the fastest.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm just saying it's a hard problem - a good hard problem though...

I don't have my comparable yet for Poehling. I had heard the Suzuki-O'Reilly comparison in the summer. But watching O'Reilly come back tonight and the way Suzuki comes back when he's at C, I see the comparison. Plus, both are about 5'11 and not the fastest.
Poehling looks a lot more like Oreilly to me, Suzuki has way more tools than ROR IMO.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If Suzuki ever hits 77 pts in a season I'll eat my socks.

stylistically he's so similar to Poehling. I noticed that the one Cup game. Looked a lot like Poehls.

Suz is toolsy as eff. Might not hit those totals but I wouldn't count him out. Won't necessarily be as good (could be) definitely more toolsy though.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I really don’t agree with developing Poehling on the wing. He’s one of our bigger players that are NHL ready, has the mobility, skill and size combination that makes developing him at centre crucial. Centre is the most valuable position and when you have a player like Poehling that has the tools he does, along with his physical maturity, it doesn’t make sense to develop him at wing imo.

He's not creative enough to carry a top NHL line. He has not put up big points anywhere he's played. And size is nice, but even more important on the wing than at C. He is likely to create a lot of space for a guy like Caufield.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Suzuki was a center in junior and started on wing here and hes doing fine. Maybe in 1 year or 2, hes gonna back at center. For Poehling can do the same
sure, acquire him as a C, develop him as a LW, then hope he becomes a good C a few years later...

sounds like a good plan!

(think we should play Fleury at C to end the season, that will help him play better D)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poehling is starting to play some outstanding hockey in Laval. I don’t think he will be there long. If the Habs run into injury trouble he will be the first forward recalled.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Poehling is starting to play some outstanding hockey in Laval. I don’t think he will be there long. If the Habs run into injury trouble he will be the first forward recalled.
He needs to stay there. Poehling needs to realize the offensive talent he has so that he doesnt fall in the middle 6 forward mold. He has top 6 skills and he needs to be able to use them. RP could benefit greatly from simmering a while.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
sure, acquire him as a C, develop him as a LW, then hope he becomes a good C a few years later...

sounds like a good plan!

(think we should play Fleury at C to end the season, that will help him play better D)
Okay but you seem to don’t understand our team. Our best forward Domi is the most productive here, and hes playing C. Danault is a selke player at C. Kotkaniemi is a pure centerman and improving at every game. So. You want to see Poehling on the fourth? Not sure. He can begin on wing with Domi for example and next year move to the C. Playing C in the show is a big thing. Tou have to be good defensively. Poehling could just have to produce. Its never a bad thing to be able play wing and center. I know he is a pure center but right now, if he wants to play here it will be at wing, like Suzuki did. Chris Kreider is a hell of good winger, i taking him every day. Poehling could be in the same mold

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Okay but you seem to don’t understand our team. Our best forward Domi is the most productive here, and hes playing C. Danault is a selke player at C. Kotkaniemi is a pure centerman and improving at every game. So. You want to see Poehling on the fourth? Not sure. He can begin on wing with Domi for example and next year move to the C. Playing C in the show is a big thing. Tou have to be good defensively. Poehling could just have to produce. Its never a bad thing to be able play wing and center. I know he is a pure center but right now, if he wants to play here it will be at wing, like Suzuki did. Chris Kreider is a hell of good winger, i taking him every day. Poehling could be in the same mold
I understand it well enough to know that at this point, if he's being developped at LW, he'll remain a LW, for the exact same reasons you named...

Reactions: dralaf

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He needs to stay there. Poehling needs to realize the offensive talent he has so that he doesnt fall in the middle 6 forward mold. He has top 6 skills and he needs to be able to use them. RP could benefit greatly from simmering a while.

There's so many ways to develop kids but I personally err on the side of caution which to me means top 6 role on the farm. Hard to go wrong with that. Let him dominate. Like that Bouchard is showing some tough love. There is top 6 potential there. I know you want him to be a C so what do you do then? Move Domi to the wing? Or you want him to be a luxury 3rd line C? I want him in the top 6 but is he beating out KK or Domi?

So many fans (not you) are mad that Suzuki's on the wing plus they want RP to stay a C and they also don't want Domi to move back to the wing but what are we supposed to do? Put RP on the 4th line? I don't want Suzuki to center a 3rd line. He's a top 6er imo.

Reactions: calder candidate

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Did you ever think we'd have a center that could score 72pts and have half the fan base wanting to move him to wing?
This would never happen if Galchenyuk had not been played on LW. If Domi had been drafted by the Habs and said to be a C, our fans would be ecstatic with his 72 points last year and 1.0 ppg this year.

Reactions: Trash Man

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I understand it well enough to know that at this point, if he's being developped at LW, he'll remain a LW, for the exact same reasons you named...
Jacques Lemaire was developed as a LW and really only moved to C well into his career, when Henri Richard was close to retirement.

Reactions: angusyoung

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This would never happen if Galchenyuk had not been played on LW. If Domi had been drafted by the Habs and said to be a C, our fans would be ecstatic with his 72 points last year and 1.0 ppg this year.
It's really amazing the bias our fans in this site show towards home grown (drafted) talent.

Chucky paced for 70 points over 30 games once in his 5 year career here, but it was the coaches that ruined him. Fans actively cheer against Drouin because they oppose the trade and the reasons for it.

Danault (dunno) sucks, but imagine if Poehling developed into an elite defensive forward that could score 50+. Fans would cream their pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad