Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6 - Recalled to the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No news here. The kids going to be alright. Not MB's fault.

Put the knives away. A couple of weeks (months) in the AHL will be good for him.

If the idea is to show he can improve enough to be able to handle 4th line duties in Montreal, I hope you are right. But if he was already good enough to play with Byron and Weal, giving him Weise and Peca is not doing him any favours. That's exactly what the "send him down" crowd wanted to avoid in the first place, not realizing the quality of our "4th line" wingers. They said "he shouldn't play with scrubs" - problem is, that is exactly what he's doing now. And also playing AGAINST scrubs, and also not practicing with the best.

Jut to be clear, I'm ok with the demotion to Laval if he was going to be in the pressbox in Montreal, but not if he was capable of playing a regular role anywhere in the top-12 in the bigs .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the idea is to show he can improve enough to be able to handle 4th line duties in Montreal, I hope you are right. But if he was already good enough to play with Byron and Weal, giving him Weise and Peca is not doing him any favours. That's exactly what the "send him down" crowd wanted to avoid in the first place, not realizing the quality of our "4th line" wingers. They said "he shouldn't play with scrubs" - problem is, that is exactly what he's doing now. And also playing AGAINST scrubs, and also not practicing with the best.

Jut to be clear, I'm ok with the demotion to Laval if he was going to be in the pressbox in Montreal, but not if he was capable of playing a regular role anywhere in the top-12 in the bigs .

There is no rush.

If he can't do well in the AHL, you have to think he's not ready for the NHL. If he does well, he'll get called up.

I just hope Claude is ready to use him over Thompson.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Give him 2 years in the AHL.

1 full one if he dominates.

If say same with Suzuki but with Shaw gone they hope he can produce 30.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There is no rush.

If he can't do well in the AHL, you have to think he's not ready for the NHL. If he does well, he'll get called up.

I just hope Claude is ready to use him over Thompson.

Correct. If he's not ready for the NHL, then get him seasoning in Laval. If he IS good enough, no point.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Correct. If he's not ready for the NHL, then get him seasoning in Laval. If he IS good enough, no point.

And we'll find out if he's ready for anothe NHL tryout by seeing what he does in the AHL.

Personally I'm ready to see him as the 4c right now - or even Domi's left wing. But I have no problem with him starting off in the AHL.

If he steals Thompson's spot in the top 12, we'll have 4 lines if top 9 players. After the game Julien saying this is the best 4th line he's had - a 4th line with 2 sub 5'10 wingers. Just last year he was talking about How great it was going to be to have a big 4th line of Weise-Thompson-Deslauriers. Will he finally be able to let go of his last pure grinder in Thompson? Has Thompson improved his speed enough to be more than a grinder?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Last year Alzner was sent down despite being a high paid vet, so was Weise, Cousins didn’t start game 1 as many expected him to, 2- rookies have seemingly made the team out of the gate. There’s no reason to believe Poehling won’t become a regular on the lineup once he’s played a few games in the AHL and is deemed ready - more-so since the GM has alluded to him being NHL ready and his player profile perfectly fitting what the GM & coach look for

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Is he ready to center Tatar and Gallagher yet? Or does he need five or ten more games against AHLers first?

I would give him a few more games in the AHL, and evaluate regularly, but he is definitely someone to keep an eye on. He is mature beyond his young age on the ice.
ryan p.jpg

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018

His style of play is so mature that 2 years in the A would be a waste. He'll be ready to be a full time NHLer at max mid season. I see him being first call up after an injury and never sent back down

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
His style of play is so mature that 2 years in the A would be a waste. He'll be ready to be a full time NHLer at max mid season. I see him being first call up after an injury and never sent back down
Agreed....he'll be up when November comes around. Health pending of course

Reactions: Gravity

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Agreed....he'll be up when November comes around. Health pending of course

So much for the "advantage" of playing "top lines" in the AHL. Playing 8th line now with Jevpalovs and Barber. Tell me again how this is preferable to playing with those scrubs Byron and Weal.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
So much for the "advantage" of playing "top lines" in the AHL. Playing 8th line now with Jevpalovs and Barber. Tell me again how this is preferable to playing with those scrubs Byron and Weal.

This team :laugh:
I trust Bouchard so I'm sure there's a good reason for that right now

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This team :laugh:
I trust Bouchard so I'm sure there's a good reason for that right now

Look, this is all good if Ryan is not currently good enough to play top-12 F for the habs.

My point is to de-glorify the idea of sending a guy down who IS ready for the NHL in order to give him "top line" status.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Look, this is all good if Ryan is not currently good enough to play top-12 F for the habs.

My point is to de-glorify the idea of sending a guy down who IS ready for the NHL in order to give him "top line" status.

Well I would prefer him to play top line minutes in Laval rather than 4th line minutes with the Habs. Idk why anyone would want their top prospects to play in very limited roles on a losing team

If he can't crack the top 6 in Laval the rest of the year there's some red flags there (but, I am sure it's related to him being injured recently and not a testament of what he can bring for the rest of the season)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well I would prefer him to play top line minutes in Laval rather than 4th line minutes with the Habs. Idk why anyone would want their top prospects to play in very limited roles on a losing team

I can tell you why. Because 12 minutes in the NHL playing bottom-6 with guys like Byron, Weal, Lehkonen, Armia or Drouin and playing AGAINST NHL calibre players is better than playing 14 minutes on the 8th line with Jevpalovs and Barber, or even (gasp) 18 minutes on the 6th line with Peca and Weise, playing against weak AHL competition, against defencemen like Alzner and Lamarche.

Because if he can handle 12 minutes in the NHL, he should be n the NHL. The only way I agree with sending him down to be the 6C (or 8th like today) of the organization is if he would otherwise be on the 5th line and in the pressbox in the NHL.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I can tell you why. Because 12 minutes in the NHL playing bottom-6 with guys like Byron, Weal, Lehkonen, Armia or Drouin and playing AGAINST NHL calibre players is better than playing 14 minutes on the 8th line with Jevpalovs and Barber, or even (gasp) 18 minutes on the 6th line with Peca and Weise, playing against weak AHL competition, against defencemen like Alzner and Lamarche.

Because if he can handle 12 minutes in the NHL, he should be n the NHL. The only way I agree with sending him down to be the 6C (or 8th like today) of the organization is if he would otherwise be on the 5th line and in the pressbox in the NHL.
Jesus man, he got a concussion, missed some time and needs a few games to get his game together....relax lol

Reactions: dralaf

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Well obviously... nobody wants their prospect to play a bottom 6 role in the AHL ... that's asking for trouble lol But that's a moot point because Poehling should show quickly that he is not a third line player.

I'd rather the prospects learn to be confident playing as game changers in the AHL (against professionals and other future good players) and work on overcoming their weaknesses than them learning to always play it safe in the NHL to compensate for some of their weaknesses.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well obviously... nobody wants their prospect to play a bottom 6 role in the AHL ... that's asking for trouble lol But that's a moot point because Poehling should show quickly that he is not a third line player.

I'd rather the prospects learn to be confident playing as game changers in the AHL (against professionals and other future good players) and work on overcoming their weaknesses than them learning to always play it safe in the NHL to compensate for some of their weaknesses.

I have no issue with a guy being in the AHL to work on weaknesses. What I have an issue with is this romantic but illogical notion that a player GOOD ENOUGH to be a top-12 F in the NHL should PREFER to be in the AHL playing with scrubbier scrubs than the alleged scrubs he might play with in the NHL. I am firmly against the notion that it is better to play 18 minutes per night with Peca and Weise or Jevpalovs and Barber and against crappy D like Alzner and Lamarche than to play 10-12 minutes in the NHL with Byron and Weal or Lehkonen and Armia and against NHL calibre D, so long as the player is good enough and won't be scratched regularly or semi-regularly.

As for this alleged "confidence", if the player isn't confident after being one of the best players on his teams and in his leagues for the last 10-15 years, then he has a problem between the ears, and another year of playing with and against weak players isn't going to solve it.

If a player has WEAKNESSES and those weaknesses are being exposed at the NHL level, and thus his confidence is shaken, then the player benefits from going to an AHL coach/team to improve the weaknesses, not to "fix his confidence".

More top line minutes in a weaker league, when he has already been doing that for years and years, racking up trophies and all-star game appearances and accolades and NHL signing bonuses..... is not what will turn a 4th line NHLer into a 2nd line NHLer. The natural progression of a young player will do that...if he truly 4th line material already. The proper reason to go down to the AHL is if you can't perform at the NHL level as a regular, that's it / that's all.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Jesus man, he got a concussion, missed some time and needs a few games to get his game together....relax lol

That's fine. If he is going to be a scratch in the NHL, it is better to play in the AHL.

But I read so much illogical stuff here that it is better to play "top line minutes" in the AHL than with scrubs on the "4th line" in the NHL that I just want to throw a reality bucket at those posters.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
he has no quality players to skate with in Laval. He would be better in Montreal playing with better players. His numbers will suck in Laval

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
he has no quality players to skate with in Laval. He would be better in Montreal playing with better players. His numbers will suck in Laval

So not ready to be handed a top-2 C role in Montreal and move Domi to the wing?

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
This is just for those that are clueless as to how coming back from a concussion affects a player. My son just returned today after 10 days. He looked like a Peewee player in Bantam, slow and very hesitant, It takes a while to get back confidence and stride.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is just for those that are clueless as to how coming back from a concussion affects a player. My son just returned today after 10 days. He looked like a Peewee player in Bantam, slow and very hesitant, It takes a while to get back confidence and stride.

No issue with going to Laval to get his game back because he might not be ready for a regular role. That has never been my point. The AHL is for players who are not good enough for the NHL, or in the case of a young player on ELC, for a player perhaps good enough to be in the NHL, but relegated to the pressbox.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
No issue with going to Laval to get his game back because he might not be ready for a regular role. That has never been my point. The AHL is for players who are not good enough for the NHL, or in the case of a young player on ELC, for a player perhaps good enough to be in the NHL, but relegated to the pressbox.

I am calling it a conditioning stint. And i am sticking to it. lol

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Good players don't require 2 years in the AHL. There's the usual late bloomer exceptions but for the most part if he needs two years in the AHL then he wont be a driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad