Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling is gonna be a beauty, I can feel it!

Julien's ultimate dream player! A more skilled Danault basically...

Agreed. I like Poehling's game. We got a hockey player here that is committed to the 200' center game and will chip in offense in big games from time to time.

Two questions compared to Danault in terms of potential with Poehling:
1) Who do you think is the better skater?
2) Who is more physically stronger?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd agree with you 100%, he's obviously no finished product. Otherwise he'd be playing on the team right now.... That being said, while he has things to prove, he is notably further along the route of proving those things than almost all of his peers. That's what makes him such an exciting prospect, coupled with the WC play. He's nearly an NHL caliber 200 foot 3rd-4th center already, all while never having played a game in even the AHL and being pretty darn young.

Well, we don't know the answer to the bolded part cause he told the Habs he was going back to the NCAA after the rookie camp. For all we know, if he didn't play on a very good NCAA team, maybe he signs the ELC heading into this year and surprises us. Maybe not.

I think I agree to some degree he is not a finished product and needs a bit more development. But looking at all our prospects, Poehling is the most NHL ready. He has been playing with men for 3 seasons now and he is physically strong. If you watched the rookie camp, you would of noticed that he stood out in terms of physical strength

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Agreed. I like Poehling's game. We got a hockey player here that is committed to the 200' center game and will chip in offense in big games from time to time.

Both ryan, at the same age

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both ryan, at the same age

I'm not 100% sure. I think Danault is having a great season and his skating and strength is overlooked IMO. Something tells me both Danault and Poehling (when he is matured) will fight for the middle 2C spots.

We have 5 200' centers. Kotkaniemi, Danault, Poehling, Olofsson, Evans. Maybe Olofsson and Evans are 4th line talent in the end but the center spot is full of true centers.

When Poehling is ready and if we re-sign Danault after 2.5 years, I move Domi to wing.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I'm not 100% sure. I think Danault is having a great season and his skating and strength is overlooked IMO. Something tells me both Danault and Poehling (when he is matured) will fight for the middle 2C spots.

We have 5 200' centers. Kotkaniemi, Danault, Poehling, Olofsson, Evans. Maybe Olofsson and Evans are 4th line talent in the end but the center spot is full of true centers.

When Poehling is ready and if we re-sign Danault after 2.5 years, I move Domi to wing.
Yes on that i agree, but i said at same age, maybe i should explained my opinion further. I mean ryan at his age now has better skating and strength then danault had in his junior time.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes on that i agree, but i said at same age, maybe i should explained my opinion further. I mean ryan at his age now has better skating and strength then danault had in his junior time.

I don't remember Danault in junior so I can't comment on that one. At the end of the day, I think these two are similar but Poehling appears to have a bit more offensive ability. We will see his game once he turns pro and has to adjust to less time and space.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I don't remember Danault in junior so I can't comment on that one. At the end of the day, I think these two are similar but Poehling appears to have a bit more offensive ability. We will see his game once he turns pro and has to adjust to less time and space.

I watched a dozen of Danault's game when he got dealt to the Wildcats. He looked faster and more combative than Poehling at the same age. He wasn't gonna beat goaltender from far away, like Ryan (minus the WJC). I say that, but Poehling could easily look faster and combative than Danault if he played in the Q, that we will never know. Really hard to compare 2 prospects at the same age when they play different competition. Danault's game in the junior is pretty much the same game he is playing in the NHL. Such a responsible player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I watched a dozen of Danault's game when he got dealt to the Wildcats. He looked faster and more combative than Poehling at the same age. He wasn't gonna beat goaltender from far away, like Ryan (minus the WJC). I say that, but Poehling could easily look faster and combative than Danault if he played in the Q, that we will never know. Really hard to compare 2 prospects at the same age when they play different competition. Danault's game in the junior is pretty much the same game he is playing in the NHL. Such a responsible player.

Agreed. I'm hesitant to say Poehling is better both in the future and at the same age points. I think it's very close with both players being better at certain things. Maybe Poehling matures earlier than Danault? We will have to wait to see how he looks once he turns pro

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Agreed. I'm hesitant to say Poehling is better both in the future and at the same age points. I think it's very close with both players being better at certain things. Maybe Poehling matures earlier than Danault? We will have to wait to see how he looks once he turns pro

I think Peohling will not be the work horse Danault is, but he might end up a better playmaker. If so, he'd be perfect on the 2nd line, it would be a luxury to have Danault centering the 3rd.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol, Danault never shown anything close to the playmaking Ryan has shown and the hands hes shown. Thats ridiculous. Danault was a grinder with Victo, he was a grinder in the AHL and hes a grinder in the NHL.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Tough to answer those questions right now, as Poehling just turned 20 years old a couple of weeks ago while Danault will be 26 in one month...

Poehling has a bigger frame than Danault and he already looks pretty strong out there, he could be a beast in a couple of years if he keeps getting stronger.

Skating is probably around the same, nothing earthshattering but not a problem whatsoever for both. Decent skaters.

I just think Poehling has more offensive instincts in him, better playmaker than Danault for sure IMO.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Tough to answer those questions right now, as Poehling just turned 20 years old a couple of weeks ago while Danault will be 26 in one month...

Poehling has a bigger frame than Danault and he already looks pretty strong out there, he could be a beast in a couple of years if he keeps getting stronger.

Skating is probably around the same, nothing earthshattering but not a problem whatsoever for both. Decent skaters.

I just think Poehling has more offensive instincts in him, better playmaker than Danault for sure IMO.

If he has Danault's skating and strength along the boards then he'll be a beast. I'm not sure that he is or will be equal in those areas.

What has me pumped about RP is that he said he didn't really get to train as much as he wanted to because of his tonsilitis. Would love to see him with a year of proper training.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Lol, Danault never shown anything close to the playmaking Ryan has shown and the hands hes shown. Thats ridiculous. Danault was a grinder with Victo, he was a grinder in the AHL and hes a grinder in the NHL.
Yeah Poehling process the game way better and faster with the puck on his stick, has better passing skills, better vision and quicker hands... Danault is obviously the best player of the 2 right now since he is 25 yrs old with already a ton of experience at the NHL level, he is physically more developped but Im fairly confident that Poehling will surpass him with ease when he is about 22-23 yrs old...

Reactions: Mrb1p

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah Poehling process the game way better and faster with the puck on his stick, has better passing skills, better vision and quicker hands... Danault is obviously the best player of the 2 right now since he is 25 yrs old with already a ton of experience at the NHL level, he is physically more developped but Im fairly confident that Poehling will surpass him with ease when he is about 22-23 yrs old...

That would be a great result. But if it does not happen to the level you hope, it won't be the first time a prospect does not achieve his theoretical or hopeful ceiling.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If he has Danault's skating and strength along the boards then he'll be a beast. I'm not sure that he is or will be equal in those areas.

What has me pumped about RP is that he said he didn't really get to train as much as he wanted to because of his tonsilitis. Would love to see him with a year of proper training.
Yeah, Danault is really strong on his skates and even though he's not extremely big, he rarely gets beaten along the boards.

Poehling doesn't even need to be better than Danault in those areas if he can be as good as him or close while bringing more offense we will be in business!

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
That would be a great result. But if it does not happen to the level you hope, it won't be the first time a prospect does not achieve his theoretical or hopeful ceiling.
I think most people will agree that at this point Poehling basically has no bust potential, he either projects as a good second line center or an elite third line center, if you have Poehling centering your third line going foward, thats because your team is incredibly stacked and highly probably contender material...

Danault is good\decent third line center playing 2C duties, no wonder why the team struggles that much to score goals... the guy competes very hard and plays a solid 200 ft game but doesnt have much offensive skills or offensive creativity, the reason why he isnt used on the PP at all... Poehling will certainly get used on one of the 2 PP waves since he has the tools to contribute in all situations...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think most people will agree that at this point Poehling basically has no bust potential, he either projects as a good second line center or an elite third line center, if you have Poehling centering your third line going foward, thats because your team is incredibly stacked and highly probably contender material...

Danault is good\decent third line center playing 2C duties, no wonder why the team struggles that much to score goals... the guy competes very hard and plays a solid 200 ft game but doesnt have much offensive skills or offensive creativity, the reason why he isnt used on the PP at all... Poehling will certainly get used on one of the 2 PP waves since he has the tools to contribute in all situations...

Here we go again.

Phil Danault is the 54th centre in the league for points per game, and 36th in ES ppg. Easily second line production, and without an elite winger on his line.

And by the way, there is no such thing as ZERO bust potential when a guy hasn't played one professional game yet.

Reactions: jaffy27

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

Thats where i think the evaluation is so important, if MB and his crew think that Poehling will be a mediocre 2C or a very good 3C ala Danault, they need to trade him right now in a package for a young scoring winger or a young puck moving left D.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I think he will be around Danault's skating and strength without much improvement meaning he shouldn't have much trouble since he's already got good strength and skating. I could see Danault being the harder worker, but Poehling the much better playmaker.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Thats where i think the evaluation is so important, if MB and his crew think that Poehling will be a mediocre 2C or a very good 3C ala Danault, they need to trade him right now in a package for a young scoring winger or a young puck moving left D.
You will never have too many solid centers, trading him now would be extremely dumb.

Center>D>Winger

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
You will never have too many solid centers, trading him now would be extremely dumb.

Center>D>Winger

So by your logic, if you have 7 quality centers, no scoring wingers and big holes on defense, you dont trade any centers because they’re too valuable!?

Its all about evaluation, I think Kotka is gonna be a 1c in 2-3-4 years, Domi is the perfect 2nd line center and Same thing for Danault on the 3rd line and They are all 25 and under. So you will either have to play Danault or Poehling on the 4th line or trade one to file another hole.

Dont forget that we also have Suzuki that might be a Center in the nhl

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So by your logic, if you have 7 quality centers, no scoring wingers and big holes on defense, you dont trade any centers because they’re too valuable!?

Its all about evaluation, I think Kotka is gonna be a 1c in 2-3-4 years, Domi is the perfect 2nd line center and Same thing for Danault on the 3rd line and They are all 25 and under. So you will either have to play Danault or Poehling on the 4th line or trade one to file another hole.

Dont forget that we also have Suzuki that might be a Center in the nhl

You can move a center to the wing easily...

Domi is doing great out there so far but I wouldn't mind moving him to the wing and roll with :

Kotka
Poehling
Danault

at center in a couple of years.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think he will be around Danault's skating and strength without much improvement meaning he shouldn't have much trouble since he's already got good strength and skating. I could see Danault being the harder worker, but Poehling the much better playmaker.

Strength maybe, but Danault's skating is under-rated and Poehling is not playing against pros, never mind NHLers. All this to say I do not think Poehling's skating is at Danault's level at this time, but he is 5+ years younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad