Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So by your logic, if you have 7 quality centers, no scoring wingers and big holes on defense, you dont trade any centers because they’re too valuable!?

Its all about evaluation, I think Kotka is gonna be a 1c in 2-3-4 years, Domi is the perfect 2nd line center and Same thing for Danault on the 3rd line and They are all 25 and under. So you will either have to play Danault or Poehling on the 4th line or trade one to file another hole.

Dont forget that we also have Suzuki that might be a Center in the nhl

I think Suzuki is best projected to be a scoring winger at the NHL level, who could take faceoffs if his C is tossed out of the circle.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You can move a center to the wing easily...

Domi is doing great out there so far but I wouldn't mind moving him to the wing and roll with :

Kotka
Poehling
Danault

at center in a couple of years.
That would be sweet......

Kotka
Poehling
Danault
Olofsson

If everyone can develop the way they should, it would give us some much needed size and skill down the middle.....you need big powerful centres if you wanna succeed in the playoffs.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Kotka
Poehling
Danault
Olofsson

If everyone can develop the way they should, it would give us some much needed size and skill down the middle.....you need big powerful centres if you wanna succeed in the playoffs.

Agreed. We finally have something to look forward to up the middle. Domi can do the job for now.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Agreed. We finally have something to look forward to up the middle. Domi can do the job for now.
With them 4 down the middle and with Suzuki and Domi playing wing, that centre position is covered for the next decade.

We’d be able to absorb an injury to one of the centres with the back ups playing wing. It’s a nice scenario to be in

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Kotka
Poehling
Danault
Olofsson

Julien being the coach just makes it even better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Rather trade Poehling for a young dman that can play now.
If we really trade 1 of our young assets Inwould prefer id be Suzuki then Poehling that's being trade. I think that Poehling will be the more IMPACTFUL player between those 2. Maybe not the best pointers. But the best player all around, strong game, big guy, 200ft game, good 1 vs 1 battle player & he still have good playmaking ability and is good in frint of the net(screen,tip) nice hand eye coordination.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With them 4 down the middle and with Suzuki and Domi playing wing, that centre position is covered for the next decade.

We’d be able to absorb an injury to one of the centres with the back ups playing wing. It’s a nice scenario to be in

Evans might surprise too but he is a little on the soft side. Let him and Olofsson fight for the job. Olofsson might just fight for the 3C job at some point if he reaches his ceiling potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not a believer in this whole 'they're not far away' when we're talking about just drafted Dmen making it in the NHL. It takes time for them to get adjusted. Same applies to Romanov. He's doing great in the KHL, but he won't be ready next year. You can't just throw kids and expect them to be top 4 material (look at Mete, it's only recently that he's starting to look real good).

Sandin is a 18 year old playing AHL and looking very good. Don't ignore it. This is not the same as Fleury playing in the NHL at age 20.

It's like saying Suzuki is more NHL ready vs Poehling. False info! Poehling is a big body that has been playing against men for 3 years now. Suzuki has 1 or 2 years or AHL development and then we see. Just like Gallagher

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
If we really trade 1 of our young assets Inwould prefer id be Suzuki then Poehling that's being trade. I think that Poehling will be the more IMPACTFUL player between those 2. Maybe not the best pointers. But the best player all around, strong game, big guy, 200ft game, good 1 vs 1 battle player & he still have good playmaking ability and is good in frint of the net(screen,tip) nice hand eye coordination.

I agree. I prefer Poehling over Suzuki - but another team might insist on Poehling. It all depends on who is available, anyway. Not interested in trading an A prospect for a rental or a player with little term and unsure we can re-sign them/getting up there in age.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That's a tough one. I don't see the Leafs trading Sandin but boy, that one makes me think.
We do have Romanov and I believe we’ll be trading some wingers for help on that left side.

This draft I see us fixating on D, and we are pretty strong on the right side with the likes of Juulsen, Brook and Fleury, where I’d use one of these players for trade for another promising LHD.

Because of all this, I’d be extremely reluctant in trading away a 6’2 Centre that can skate and just won WJC best forward for another prospect.

Evans might surprise too but he is a little on the soft side. Let him and Olofsson fight for the job. Olofsson might just fight for the 3C job at some point if he reaches his ceiling potential.
Forgot about him.....more options!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I understand but given our relative strengths and needs, I would trade, for example, Poehling for Sandin.
I would rather keep Poehling and deal with it later.

I don't think his trade value right now is as high as it should be, so trading him right now would be selling low IMO.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
You can move a center to the wing easily...

Domi is doing great out there so far but I wouldn't mind moving him to the wing and roll with :

Kotka
Poehling
Danault

at center in a couple of years.

Domi is having by far the best season of his career playing center

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
And playing in Montreal....I believe this guy produces equally on the wing then at Centre

Left to be seen, maybe he would produce even more just like Giroux, but before switching him permanently to the wing i would make sure he can be as effective at that position.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Domi is having by far the best season of his career playing center

Playing center with the Habs and our top 9. Pretty sure Domi can do what he is doing at wing as well.

The key to the Habs top 9 is balance. What line to you attack if you want to shut us down? This is why our 5/5 scoring is very good.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Strength maybe, but Danault's skating is under-rated and Poehling is not playing against pros, never mind NHLers. All this to say I do not think Poehling's skating is at Danault's level at this time, but he is 5+ years younger.

that's why I said I think he will be around at as I don't think he's far off from Danault's strength and skating now. Poehling has no trouble physically at 18, 19 playing in a league where the average age is 21.5 or so. He has the physical tools to play in the NHL this year, (size, strength, skating, speed) but just needs to work on his offense.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
It's tough to say because let's be honest, most of us haven't seen more than the games where he and Romanov dominated. That being said, everything I've seen and heard says 3rd line center with #1 PK duties at least. Adding him to the center core of Domi (1st-2nd line), Danault (2nd-3rd line), and Kotkaniemi (Potential Elite #1 at least 1st-2nd line) is wonderful. I have a gut feeling though that he'll be comparable to Pleks. Hopefully Suzuki also shows he's an obvious center.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's tough to say because let's be honest, most of us haven't seen more than the games where he and Romanov dominated. That being said, everything I've seen and heard says 3rd line center with #1 PK duties at least. Adding him to the center core of Domi (1st-2nd line), Danault (2nd-3rd line), and Kotkaniemi (Potential Elite #1 at least 1st-2nd line) is wonderful. I have a gut feeling though that he'll be comparable to Pleks. Hopefully Suzuki also shows he's an obvious center.

Actually, I differ. We have enough strength at C in my opinion. I think we need Suzuki after a couple of seasons getting acclimated to be a scoring winger, our Brian Bellows so to speak.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Actually, I differ. We have enough strength at C in my opinion. I think we need Suzuki after a couple of seasons getting acclimated to be a scoring winger, our Brian Bellows so to speak.
That's my entire point. Out team isn't doing so bad in the standings and we seem to have a surplus of the most valuable position in hockey apart from goal-tending, btw Carey is busy being himself lately,. as you'd expect from such a talented player.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad