Ryan O'Reilly

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He is 21, he is 2 years younger than Backlund and has over double his points, Matt Stajan was 26 when he got 55 points we aren't talking about a 25 year old who had 4 25 point seasons then 1 good season.

On another note if they like Jankowski I wonder if Janko + 2nd + Butler could get it done.

I don't think he's a bad player. I don't think he's in the same conversation as Stajan in terms of comparison, I just used Stajan as an example of buying high. I could use Comeau too. Similiarly, Horcoff or Gomez are examples of post-contract years.

According to the player usage charts, O'Reilly & Landeskog faced the toughest competition of all Avs and still came out with very good Corsi numbers.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Talks start with Baertschi. A division rival is not going to trade their top performing player from a year ago who just happens to be 21 years of age for anything short of an overpayment.

Stay away from negotiations and hope that they either overpay the kid, or miss on any trade that they end up making. Best case scenario is that his hold out continues and he misses the entire season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't think he's a bad player. I don't think he's in the same conversation as Stajan in terms of comparison, I just used Stajan as an example of buying high. I could use Comeau too. Similiarly, Horcoff or Gomez are examples of post-contract years.

According to the player usage charts, O'Reilly & Landeskog faced the toughest competition of all Avs and still came out with very good Corsi numbers.

My point is you may call it buying high but I call it the only chance to buy buying high implies that he was worth less at some point, the Avs would not have traded him before this year. Buying high implies he won't be worth that much in the future I believe he is the next Kesler he will only be worth more as time goes on. This is the exactly the type of player we need to bring in young, cheap relative to players similar to him, and already one of the better players in his position.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
If i was going to give up something along the lines of Gio+ or something I would want Statsny obviously Duchene would be better but Avs fans are really high up on him which isn't a surprise it seems like Statsny has fell down. I was thinking Bouwmeester+ Backlund for him?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Contract hold out is not the same as buying high with a player signed to a good contract. My assumption is RoR wants to be paid as a top 2 center but Avs don't want to have 3 expensive centers down the road (ala Penguins). So in this case there would be a discount on trade value due to the fact you may have to pay UFA market salary on him.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Why is everyone so high on Ryan o'reilly ? At best hes a 20 goal guy.

His point production is not the reason people are high on him.

He can win faceoffs, score key goals (scored a goal w/ 1 sec left in OT last year), very motivated/self critical, shut down the league's top players and be counted on to play every game.

The 55 points was just a bonus for a guy who a lot of people thought would be a 30-40 point player at best.

Did I mention he had more takeaways than the great Pavel Datsyuk?

But no, at this point in his career, he is not worth 5 million unless he can prove that last season wasn't just a flash in the pan.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
His point production is not the reason people are high on him.

He can win faceoffs, score key goals (scored a goal w/ 1 sec left in OT last year), very motivated/self critical, shut down the league's top players and be counted on to play every game.

The 55 points was just a bonus for a guy who a lot of people thought would be a 30-40 point player at best.

Did I mention he had more takeaways than the great Pavel Datsyuk?

But no, at this point in his career, he is not worth 5 million unless he can prove that last season wasn't just a flash in the pan.

Flames must have him.

Seriously though. Our 1st+ I would do

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
This is very much like the time Drury had a career season only to sign in NYR as their top center. The we saw how well that turned out:P

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Talks start with Baertschi. A division rival is not going to trade their top performing player from a year ago who just happens to be 21 years of age for anything short of an overpayment.

Stay away from negotiations and hope that they either overpay the kid, or miss on any trade that they end up making. Best case scenario is that his hold out continues and he misses the entire season.

If Avs ownership understood how valuable this kid actually is, they'd have already signed him. I don't know that they'd ask as much as people think for him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Are the caps under some kind of self imposed budget that I'm not aware of?

The owners are allegedly cheap as hell; not sure if there's an actual budget, per se, or if they just hate spending money.

edit: I'm assuming you meant Avs when you said Caps.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would trade anything we have other than our first and baertschi (maybe gaudreau, maybe). Seriously though, ******* this team. I'm so angry right now.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
It has nothing to do with budget.

If a player thinks he's worth X amount of dollars when in reality he's actually worth Y amount of dollars and is not willing to budge from that, would you pay him?

TylerSVT*

The Flames would be absolutly stupid to give up any picks in this years draft.

ROR does not make us a Playoff team, simple as that.

I would do Cammi + byron for him. Or even Cammi + Seiloff but i doubt the Avs want to pay Cammi more than ROR anyways.

If we are trading anything with COL, it should be Defenseman for their first rounders.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It has nothing to do with budget.

If a player thinks he's worth X amount of dollars when in reality he's actually worth Y amount of dollars and is not willing to budge from that, would you pay him?

He's worth 4 million short term, though. And likely 5 million long term.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The Flames would be absolutly stupid to give up any picks in this years draft.

ROR does not make us a Playoff team, simple as that.

I would do Cammi + byron for him. Or even Cammi + Seiloff but i doubt the Avs want to pay Cammi more than ROR anyways.

If we are trading anything with COL, it should be Defenseman for their first rounders.

Isn't our second already with Montreal via the Cammy trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad