Ryan O'Reilly

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Didn't he want like $5,000,000? He is a good player but not worth the contract he's asking for.

5 million on a long term deal 4 million on a short deal I would easily give him 8 million over 2 season and trade/buyout Stajan in the offseason, we would have ROR,Backlund as our top 2 centermen for the foreseeable future. And would take pressure off Janko so he can take his time in the NCAA.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
5 million on a long term deal 4 million on a short deal I would easily give him 8 million over 2 season and trade/buyout Stajan in the offseason, we would have ROR,Backlund as our top 2 centermen for the foreseeable future. And would take pressure off Janko so he can take his time in the NCAA.

Unless he turns into a winger, I hear thats what hes playing in the NCAA

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not necessarily, if you look at the Tanguay trade we gave them Leopold and i think a draft pick which was not in any way an overpayment. If you look at it now its kinda like the same situation. Tanguay wanted money and colorado didn't wana give it to him so he got traded. If they really can't agree on a contract I think its an advantage to the seller (not a big one but still).

Sutter traded Leopold and two 2nd round draft picks for Tanguay. It was expensive.

He had a career high last year. He may or may not play at that level again, but regardless, you don't buy high and sell low...

This is important. It would make better sense to go after Stastny, who after a couple of poor seasons could be available and likely not for much given his contract. Offer up Cammalleri as a winger for Duchene and maybe Sherman gets interested. Of course, O'Reilly would have to be signed before Colorado would move a centremen.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Sutter traded Leopold and two 2nd round draft picks for Tanguay. It was expensive.

This is important. It would make better sense to go after Stastny, who after a couple of poor seasons could be available and likely not for much given his contract. Offer up Cammalleri as a winger for Duchene and maybe Sherman gets interested. Of course, O'Reilly would have to be signed before Colorado would move a centremen.

I agree Statsny is the better target. Cammy for Statsny might get it done, but I think the Flames organization might like Cammy and may not want to trade him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I wouldn't mind Stastny but he isn't the same player he was 4 years ago he doesn't look nearly as motivated. Also I want this team to focus on getting young players not that 27 is old but we are essentially just patching the position for 5 years until Hudler/Widemen/Stastny are the core and the team is in the same situation.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not necessarily, if you look at the Tanguay trade we gave them Leopold and i think a draft pick which was not in any way an overpayment. If you look at it now its kinda like the same situation. Tanguay wanted money and colorado didn't wana give it to him so he got traded. If they really can't agree on a contract I think its an advantage to the seller (not a big one but still).

I would argue Leopold at the time had similar value to Gio now. He was a Hobey Baker winner, a young offensive dman and playing on our top pairing with Regehr. They were known as one of the best up and coming pairings in the NHL at the time. Butler does not have the value that Leopold had back then, I think Gio would need to go the other way to make it happen.

Your example is a good comparison though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I wouldn't mind Stastny but he isn't the same player he was 4 years ago he doesn't look nearly as motivated. Also I want this team to focus on getting young players not that 27 is old but we are essentially just patching the position for 5 years until Hudler/Widemen/Stastny are the core and the team is in the same situation.

Wideman and Hudler as part of a core? Egh, that gives a bad mental image.

Stastny isn't an ideal target but I think it fits in Feaster's targeted age bracket where the player is good enough to compete immediately but young enough to also build around.

But yeah, the organization seems pretty high on Cammalleri. Could be a good switch though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Wideman and Hudler as part of a core? Egh, that gives a bad mental image.

Stastny isn't an ideal target but I think it fits in Feaster's targeted age bracket where the player is good enough to compete immediately but young enough to also build around.

But yeah, the organization seems pretty high on Cammalleri. Could be a good switch though.

In 5 years they will be the veterans on the team and be some of our top producers of course if Sven, JG, Janko etc work out it won't be as big of a deal but I don't like banking on them to make it. I know Feaster says he wants 25-28 year olds but I would like to see this team to target at 21 year old when they can.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He had a career high last year. He may or may not play at that level again, but regardless, you don't buy high and sell low...

Since they're at a signing impasse, it's not really buying high; also all indicators for the past two seasons are that he's an incredibly good defensive player, and he's consistently improved with time (no ups and downs thus far).

I'd do something like the Cammy/Butler trade I mentioned because it does give them some value for a guy they don't want to sign, but both are expendable pieces from a Flames POV. O'Reilly is also something that the Flames are low on; possession-driving forwards. He and Backlund at centre make the top 6 very serviceable (although neither is the legendary "#1 C") from that perspective.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The Avs were said to be asking for a 2nd rounder + good youngster on Fan960.

Cammy would probably not fit the bill. I'd imagine something like Brodie + 2nd would do it for them though.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Cammy would probably not fit the bill. I'd imagine something like Brodie + 2nd would do it for them though.

As of right now, I would pass on that.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
In 5 years they will be the veterans on the team and be some of our top producers of course if Sven, JG, Janko etc work out it won't be as big of a deal but I don't like banking on them to make it. I know Feaster says he wants 25-28 year olds but I would like to see this team to target at 21 year old when they can.

Minor point but in five years, Wideman would be in the last year of his contract while Hudler's would have expired the year prior. And while both of them may have some of the longer contracts in the organization, neither are really pieces that would constitute building blocks. They're support players at best.

But yeah, I don't disagree on targeting younger guys when possible. The new NHL is increasingly becoming a young man's game. In this case though, I just don't think O'Reilly's potential justifies the kind assets the Flames would have to give up to get him. The Flames aren't really in a position to give up a defensemen for a forward, but they can easily afford to move a winger for centre.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I wouldn't hesitate to give up our 1st for him, the guy is young and proven already. He excels at the defensive parts of the game and still puts up points. May not be a bonafide number 1 but is a really good #2 centerman and is only 21, therefore I don't see a problem giving up a 1st for him. But Colorado is not likely to trade him within the division.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
My bad, I forgot what draft picks we gave, still not an overpayment though, Tanguay was in his prime and had alot of trade value.

It was steep, but I don't recall many people thinking it was an overpayment at the time either. They were more surprised that Colorado traded Tanguay at all, and especially to Calgary, a division rival. And on that topic, I don't believe Colorado didn't want to pay Tanguay what he wanted, but rather they couldn't afford to because of the salary cap. They had to let somebody go to stay under.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

Brodie isn't going to singlehandedly turn this team around in the next conceivable future, especially considering J-Bo might be regaining his top form. O'Reilly would help this team tremendously and fast.

I would do that trade.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Brodie isn't going to singlehandedly turn this team around in the next conceivable future, especially considering J-Bo might be regaining his top form. O'Reilly would help this team tremendously and fast.

I would do that trade.

Agreed I love Brodie but with Jbo,Gio,Widemen his offensive game isn't as important as ROR would be.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

As much as I love Brodie, I'd do this.

ROR is a great #2, defensively minded, and puts up good points. He would also be a good C for Sven.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As much as I love Brodie, I'd do this.

ROR is a great #2, defensively minded, and puts up good points. He would also be a good C for Sven.

Not only is he a great defensive center he was in the top 25 for center scoring at 21! I think we need to pull the trigger.

Can you imagine
Cammy - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - ROR - Backlund
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Not only is he a great defensive center he was in the top 25 for center scoring at 21! I think we need to pull the trigger.

Can you imagine
Cammy - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - ROR - Backlund
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka

If he really is up for trade, I'd give up a substantial chunk for him. He would do wonders for us down the road, and right now

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Since they're at a signing impasse, it's not really buying high; also all indicators for the past two seasons are that he's an incredibly good defensive player, and he's consistently improved with time (no ups and downs thus far).

I'd do something like the Cammy/Butler trade I mentioned because it does give them some value for a guy they don't want to sign, but both are expendable pieces from a Flames POV. O'Reilly is also something that the Flames are low on; possession-driving forwards. He and Backlund at centre make the top 6 very serviceable (although neither is the legendary "#1 C") from that perspective.

Justify it all you want, it's buying high. If he had another 36 point season, we wouldn't be offering Brodie + 2nd. OReilly might be good defensively, but he might not be as offensive. Matt Stajan once hit 55 points and was always good defensively, hence you don't buy high

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Justify it all you want, it's buying high. If he had another 36 point season, we wouldn't be offering Brodie + 2nd. OReilly might be good defensively, but he might not be as offensive. Matt Stajan once hit 55 points and was always good defensively, hence you don't buy high

He is 21, he is 2 years younger than Backlund and has over double his points, Matt Stajan was 26 when he got 55 points we aren't talking about a 25 year old who had 4 25 point seasons then 1 good season.

On another note if they like Jankowski I wonder if Janko + 2nd + Butler could get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad