Ryan O'Reilly

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Should the Flames make a run at this guy? 51.3% on the FO's last year, kills penalties, has shown offensive ability.

What would it take to get him? Maybe Cammalleri straight up? Or Stempniak + 1st?

What do you guys think?

I'd love for the Flames to go after O'Reilly, but not at the expense of our 1st.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Yes! Absolutely!

I would almost (almost) even be willing to give up our 1st this year for him.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Well Gio just ain't gonna happen. Our D is solid as is, but without Gio, it would leave a huge hole that we'd almost have to give up a 1st anyways to fill.

I'd let Cammy plus maybe a prospect (we're goalie rich at the moment) go for O'Reilly . Maybe his injury could let us get him a bit cheaper than we otherwise could.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Like Gleninator said, probably Gio + depending on an O'Reilly re-sign.

The Avs need D. Especially if a player like O'Reilly went to a divisional opponent.

Edit: I am not saying Cammy is a bad player. I am just saying that you can't just look at your own needs when looking at a trade offer.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Send him an offer sheet for $3,364,390.

He wouldn't sign that. The Avalanche are offering 3.5M for two years, the same deal Duchene received. O'Reilly wants at least 4M per on a short term deal and 5M+ on a long term deal.

Honestly, I don't see him as a potential number one centre down the road and given the cost of acquiring him, which be Brodie+ or Giordano, it doesn't make sense. Better to save the assets.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He wouldn't sign that. The Avalanche are offering 3.5M for two years, the same deal Duchene received. O'Reilly wants at least 4M per on a short term deal and 5M+ on a long term deal.

Honestly, I don't see him as a potential number one centre down the road and given the cost of acquiring him, which be Brodie+ or Giordano, it doesn't make sense. Better to save the assets.

I agree he isn't a #1 centermen more of a #2 shutdown centermen like Kesler.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011

He'll be a Drury type player. Can fill in at #1 but better at #2.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

This is how I feel about O'Reilly. He had one good season last year, now I'm not suggesting it won't continue, but we already have a number of guys who are capable/going to be capable potential #2 centers. Like Calculon said, I'd rather keep our assets instead of try and pry him away from Colorado.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'd go for something like Butler + Cammy (Flames could retain salary since Col is cheap). Yes, Butler is scratched, but I still think he can do the 2nd pairing thing solidly and it's more the fact that the Flames are kinda lacking in right-sided dmen.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He had a career high last year. He may or may not play at that level again, but regardless, you don't buy high and sell low...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why is everyone so high on Ryan o'reilly ? At best hes a 20 goal guy.

He would be a great #2 centermen would allow us to run

Tanguay - Backlund - Iginla
Glencross - ROR - Stajan (shut down line)
Hudler - Cervenka - Sven (great offense)

that is a real deep team

Also if we had a 21 year old centermen who just had a 55 point season I don't think people would be saying he is only a 20 goal scorer but would be stoked to have a potential 60+ point player for years.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Cuz were a divisional opponent, we would have to overpay. Either Cammy or Gio IMO. Not sure if I would do it.

Not necessarily, if you look at the Tanguay trade we gave them Leopold and i think a draft pick which was not in any way an overpayment. If you look at it now its kinda like the same situation. Tanguay wanted money and colorado didn't wana give it to him so he got traded. If they really can't agree on a contract I think its an advantage to the seller (not a big one but still).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad