Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree with this. He’s been a 1C for a huge chunk of his career. He’s a low end #1 centre.

Love Nuge, not a #1 center. Lets not do this.
He's turning into an elite #2 center though.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
RNH has always been a damn good player, criminally underrated because he's considered a disappointing 1st overall pick. Couturier had his breakout season at the age of 25, it's not out of question to think RNH will follow this same path.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
RNH has always been a damn good player, criminally underrated because he's considered a disappointing 1st overall pick. Couturier had his breakout season at the age of 25, it's not out of question to think RNH will follow this same path.
He really hasnt been a damn good player. He had a solid start to his career but then it went the other way. Struggled to create offense and was constantly outplayed by opposing teams top players.

That doesnt mean he isnt a good player but people trying to call him a legit #1C now because of him beeing close to a ppg after 30 games where he has been playing a lot with McDavid is pretty weird. He is a 45-60 point player based on a good or bad season without playing with McDavid. No one should be surprised that he can produce more when he has been on the ice with McDavid as much as he has.

If you put RNH on for example NYR instead of Zibanejad i have a hard time seeing RNH drive the play like Zibanejad does for them with very little support. Its a completely different world playing with an elite player compared to playing with a 50 point player.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ference should keep making Nuge angry.

An angry Nuge is a good Nuge.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't want to say he is underrated because I think anyone who watches him knows he brings more to the table than just offence. I've always loved his approach to the game; smart, hardworking and quick. He'll be a good player for a long time and at 6 Million, id say he is a pretty good deal.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
He really hasnt been a damn good player. He had a solid start to his career but then it went the other way. Struggled to create offense and was constantly outplayed by opposing teams top players.

That doesnt mean he isnt a good player but people trying to call him a legit #1C now because of him beeing close to a ppg after 30 games where he has been playing a lot with McDavid is pretty weird. He is a 45-60 point player based on a good or bad season without playing with McDavid. No one should be surprised that he can produce more when he has been on the ice with McDavid as much as he has.

If you put RNH on for example NYR instead of Zibanejad i have a hard time seeing RNH drive the play like Zibanejad does for them with very little support. Its a completely different world playing with an elite player compared to playing with a 50 point player.

You tell me he's struggled, when the WHOLE TEAM struggled when they were under Eakins. They tried to turn Nuge into something he isn't. He was basically told to be a defensive center and to work on that instead of his offense. How can you expect anything from him if you are asking him to play a foreign type of hockey that he never grew up with? it happens.

Playing a lot with McDavid? he played like 8 games with him! The rest of the time, he was away from him, playing with Puljujarvi, Chaisson, Caggiula, and Lucic.

Look at above comment for my answer. If he can pull a line of those players above, then he most certainly can pull NYR's first line. :facepalm:

Reactions: ujju2

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You tell me he's struggled, when the WHOLE TEAM struggled when they were under Eakins. They tried to turn Nuge into something he isn't. He was basically told to be a defensive center and to work on that instead of his offense. How can you expect anything from him if you are asking him to play a foreign type of hockey that he never grew up with? it happens.

Playing a lot with McDavid? he played like 8 games with him! The rest of the time, he was away from him, playing with Puljujarvi, Chaisson, Caggiula, and Lucic.

Look at above comment for my answer. If he can pull a line of those players above, then he most certainly can pull NYR's first line. :facepalm:

Funny he's spent more even strength ice time with McDavid this year than without him. And he's on the first PP unit with him as well. McDavid has had a hand in half of his points this year. But sure act like he never plays with him.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

McDavid was his most common linemate the first 20 games of the season... He also has 12 points on the pp playing with McDavid.

You are completely missing the point though. Read my post again and i dont really see what there is to disagree with. He is not close to a legit #1C, he isnt scoring at that pace unless he is on McDavids wing. Which if fine, it just means he is a 45-60 point player without McDavid which is second line center numbers. No team in the NHL would be happy if they had RNH as their #1C.... That doesnt mean he isnt a good player, because he is. It just means he isnt a #1C which is extremely obvious if you actually look at his career so far.

Last edited:

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

He has 12 points in his last 14 games and those were without McDavid. He's done that while playing with basically no one on the second line.

He also has 70 points in his last 82 games so it's not like the production has come out of no where. People just weren't paying attention.

Reactions: paul jambon

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
yeah i like nuge, solid player. very underrated. unlike drai, he's not as reliant on mcdavid to produce...hes also much better defensively.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
McDavid was his most common linemate the first 20 games of the season... He also has 12 points on the pp playing with McDavid.

You are completely missing the point though. Read my post again and i dont really see what there is to disagree with. He is not close to a legit #1C, he isnt scoring at that pace unless he is on McDavids wing. Which if fine, it just means he is a 45-60 point player without McDavid which is second line center numbers. No team in the NHL would be happy if they had RNH as their #1C.... That doesnt mean he isnt a good player, because he is. It just means he isnt a #1C which is extremely obvious if you actually look at his career so far.

Same could be said about Bergeron but people still consider him a #1C on half of the teams in the NHL.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Same could be said about Bergeron but people still consider him a #1C on half of the teams in the NHL.
No it couldnt. Bergeron is the best defensive forward in the NHL and he can produce elite #1C numbers when actually playing the #1C role.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

False.. no need to really dive in more here.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Funny he's spent more even strength ice time with McDavid this year than without him. And he's on the first PP unit with him as well. McDavid has had a hand in half of his points this year. But sure act like he never plays with him.
Why are Oiler players the only ones penalized for playing with other good players

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Why are Oiler players the only ones penalized for playing with other good players
They arent the only ones. When a player has proven over many years that he cant center a top line but suddenly his numbers skyrockets when he gets to play on McDavids wing and on the pp with McDavid, you know that guy isnt a #1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad