Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Mclellan started to revive the offense in RNH's game. He was broken like all the Oilers were by Eakins, that shit takes time to undo. Anyone watching him play this year though will absolutely be shocked at how effective the guy is. He's playing some excellent hockey this season. Too bad the Oilers as a team couldn't score in a whore house with a fistful of hundred dollar bills.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
He's not a #1 in the traditional sense but depending on your team comp he can be. He can also play either wing just as well.

He's imo one of the most underrated players in the nhl because of his draft position.

I think what holds him back is he's not "the guy" and he thinks it to. He defers too much to his team mates and plays safe often. In his rookie season he was the focal point of the offense and it showed.

If he's ever moved I think everyone will be shocked, which will be hilarious for us oil fans....and depressing.

Reactions: ujju2

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
If he's ever moved I think everyone will be shocked, which will be hilarious for us oil fans....and depressing.

You mean like how Hall was over rated and not that good and not capable of being a leader on a team until he was traded from Edmonton?

Reactions: Coffey

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was their number 1 center for a long time and they ended up with McDavid tells you about how good that was.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He also had 52 points in 62 games.

In a sheltered role and mostly on the PP, when he was used in a bigger role what happened? Couple more 29th/30th finishes and not a single season close to that production again?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
In a sheltered role and mostly on the PP, when he was used in a bigger role what happened? Couple more 29th/30th finishes and not a single season close to that production again?

He's anything but sheltered.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Huh? You posted stats from his rookie season, he was completely sheltered that year and got exposed every year after.

He hasn't been sheltered for the past two seasons and has a ppg in his past 50.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
He hasn't been sheltered for the past two seasons and has a ppg in his past 50.

~40ish of his past 50 games have been on McDavid’s wing. The last 20 or so of last season and the first 20 or so of this one. He’s only been used as the 2C in the last like 5-10 games of that 50 game sample size lol

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
RNH is probably the biggest "could have been" in the league. He's been the victim of some really bad coaching throughout his career and never developed to his full potential. But he's now otherwise a responsible two way #2C good for chipping in here and there. He is what he is but sadly it's not even what he used to be.

Seldom do I see that explosive drive he had. But when all your coaches are idiots and you try to do the right thing and stay with the team that drafted you it's hard to blame the guy.

He has his great moments but this guy shouldve been a 80-90 point regular
Ill always wonder what might have been if his skate didnt get stuck in a rut his rookie year. Never looked as shifty or dynamic as he used to.

The team tried turning him into a d first center due to no depth and he treaded water for years with spurts of looking elite.

The coaches telling him to focus more on offence has made that part of his game better but still not where it was in his rookie year.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I really do think people need to drop all the prior seasons and actually look at what the guy started doing last year and has continued to do this season. They hammered so hard on the young players on the Oilers that they had to play defense first and RNH took that to heart and dropped all the creativity from his game. He's worked on getting that back now and he is looking dangerous while still being pretty reliable all over the ice. He was the one player that Mclellan really did help, and I think Hitchcock is helping him even more (Hitch always praised RNH when coaching other teams)
This is not the player of a couple seasons ago, he's playing some damned fine hockey this year, and I would say he looks even better centering his own line than he did with McDavid (think that he isn't able to play as many minutes as McDavid and wore down with the workload, but no one can play that many minutes except McDavid)

Reactions: snipes

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He doesn't pass the eye test for me. He hasn't produced in his last few years as a center away from McDavid. Sure his point totals look good but he's not taking over games or anything

He's not a core piece or an impact player on the current iteration of the Oilers. A nice player to have I guess but he's a disappointing player relative to his draft expectations and hype

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He's not a core piece or an impact player on the current iteration of the Oilers. A nice player to have I guess but he's a disappointing player relative to his draft expectations and hype
From what I remember there were 4 potential 1st overalls that year with no clear consensus on who was #1.

That's never been a great sign of high-end potential.

Oilers needed a C, and took the flashiest centre in RNH, but it really could have been Huberdeau or Couturier.

None of them really put up significantly impressive Junior campaigns.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
He was their number 1 center for a long time and they ended up with McDavid tells you about how good that was.
Using your logic Taylor hall is bad because we had him and ended up with Mcdavid. Even though hall has just won a hart trophy. I think RNH is a 2c but just had to point out how poor of an argument u just used.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Using your logic Taylor hall is bad because we had him and ended up with Mcdavid. Even though hall has just won a hart trophy. I think RNH is a 2c but just had to point out how poor of an argument u just used.
Like Iginla is terrible cause he never won a cup.

Reactions: KidLine93

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Definitely a low-end 1C (still improving, wouldn't be surprised to see him as an average 1C by season's end), or an elite 2C.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Nuge is an extremely effective player. Not flashy, not a ton of high end offensive skill, but very responsible in his own zone, and always brings a solid compete level.

I have a lot of respect for him and all of the BS he has had to put up during his time as an Oiler.

He's never been a #1 centre, and thats perfectly fine. I would say he's the best true second line centre in the game (players like Malkin etc are all 1Cs that just play on stacked teams). He should never be leading the charge, but he's a great compliment to any strong first line.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He doesn't pass the eye test for me. He hasn't produced in his last few years as a center away from McDavid. Sure his point totals look good but he's not taking over games or anything

You just made it clear you haven't watched him at all this season or most of last. Like even last night I'd say he was the biggest reason the Oilers won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad